It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Explosive earthquake experiment this week in Coachella Valley

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Explosive earthquake experiment this week in Coachella Valley

www.mydesert .com

The United States Geological Survey plans to simulate and study small earthquakes in the desert this week using explosives and seismographs.

For the Salton Seismic Imaging Project, officials will bury 3,000 seismographs around the Coachella and Imperial valleys and measure the impact of the explosions, which will simulate 1.5- to 2-magnitude earthquakes.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   
I know these will be small earthquakes, but what happens if this were to trigger something bigger? Is that even a possibility? Why would they just wait for a natural occurance? I understand that they can't just sit around and wait for something to happen, but I don't think they should be causing "mini quakes"

www.mydesert .com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by SUICIDEHK45

Not only question, what if it triggers a bigger quake, also ask yourself, why would they do that in an area not far from densly populated areas. coachella valley is not far from los angeles, and real close to the san andreas fault, so Personally I dont understand what they are doing this for.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   
It will definitely be interesting to see what/if anything happens with all of this. Obviously, living in Los Angeles, I hope nothing happens.

Thanks for the info!

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by allisit

Maybe they know something is up, and they are really trying to release some built up pressure "slowly"

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by SUICIDEHK45

No kidding it could trigger something bigger. !!!

And the most ridiculous thing is that the effects could be delayed, and not seem related to most people. ...Maybe that's what they really want to determine - the downstream impacts. I am astounded. Can't think.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   
This is such a idiotic thing to do - this does prove they simulate quakes and I wonder how
many times its been done that we don't know about. The source didn't even give a reason from
the geologist of why they are doing this. And close to LA and the San Andreas, omg! Once they
start these quakes they may be much more difficult to contain and it could trigger a larger
quake. When will they stop messing with Mother Earth - she's perfectly able to make her
own quakes in her own time. I would love to see an article with more info on this, I want
to know their reasoning for this.

This time the west coast and tomorrow the Madrid! Sorry I am so upset over this but
they are putting many lives at stake.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   
A map of the area - look at all the population to the west!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/24783a530159.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Have you ever looked at the amount of small earthquakes we have daily in Cali? Why would they even need to fake it? They got plenty of the real ones to work with.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   
My question is dont they already have plenty of earthquake data. Looking at where they are doing it makes no sence to me. But like its been said many times before.... Move along .... Nothing to see here.....

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   
This really does make no sense. I refuse to believe that they could not make a simliar study anywhere else in California or Alaska, with all the areas in those states that have daily eq activity. It reminds me of the scientists that want to drill into a volcano next to Naples, Italy.

Blowing up explosives and fracking on top of fault lines, drilling into volcanos, what's next?

Like, really people?!?!?

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by damilo

After-all it is bat country.
Yeah I don't know why they need more data. I think they are probably trying to release some of the pressure on the fault line, but that doesn't seem like a very smart thing to do.

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

Nice Avatar - I got a couple of HST tattoos

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   
aaaahem! they are only going 60ft deep....come on guys,,,we are just board, no hot issuses, same old grind ....

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by damilo

The reason they need to "fake it" is that if they know where the "bang" is, they can use that info to map the underground structure from reflections and refractions of the shock waves.

And if you've seen anything about Christchurch in the last 3 weeks you would want to know what that structure is and what sort of natural shocks you might get - 'cos you don't want to be caught by surprise like that city was!!

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Here is the press release from the USGS about it.

But I agree... how freakin' stupid are they and WTH is this going to do!?!?!?!?!

USGS Press Release

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by UtahRosebud

did you read the press release? Tehre's quiet a lot of info given in it on the EXACT reasons for this - eg:

Knowing the configuration of buried faults is crucial to understanding how the earthquake-producing "machinery" works in southern California, and information on the thickness and shape of the region's sedimentary basins (large valleys filled with sedimentary deposits) is essential for predicting how hard the ground will shake in future quakes.

which part didn't you understand?

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Very strange indeed. I just read this post

www.abovetopsecret.com...

and wonder if it could be related. If it were timed with an offshore earthquake the result would be a water wave as opposed to the earth wave referred to in the post. Something to consider while remaining unafraid but alert.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3b90965a8f93.gif[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/dd554db74f04.gif[/atsimg]

Things that make you go hmmm...

and then this thread shows up

www.abovetopsecret.com...

which seems to add credence to this theory. If a waterborn earthquakes were part of the wave for each instance of earthquake (also mentions China and Chile) it would make sense that the water would disappear shortly afterward as it drained down the fissure.

edit on 8-3-2011 by coyotepoet because: images

edit on 8-3-2011 by coyotepoet because: New thread

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by UtahRosebud

USGS Quote
The knowledge gained from the project is essential to making new and existing structures in the region better able to withstand earthquakes.

This does not sound like a valid reason to me. " induce quakes in order make construction better able to withstand earthquakes" - there are simluations in the lab that can do this - I have seen the videos. There are other ways to study this without putting peoples lives in danger.

I have a bad feeling they may be doing this or will do this near the Madrid fault as well - hope I am wrong.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   
How close is this to Long Valley? You know... where that dormant super volcano is sleeping?

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by coyotepoet

I live on the San Jacinto fault....you guys can breed all the fear and panic into this event but it will be less eventfull that colliding protons in the HLC

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join