It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Recent Scenes from Antarctica

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Firstly, my apologies if this is in the wrong forum

I just wanted to share some photographs of Antarctica that I stumbled upon today. Being somewhat slightly obsessed with all things to do with this extreme continent, I found them both fascinating and spectacularly beautiful.

I hope you find them as enchanting as I: Recent Scenes from Antarctica

Winter is coming back to Antarctica and, after a busy season for both scientists and tourists, most researchers stationed there have traveled north for the season. Among them were a Russian team that recently came within 30 meters of drilling into Lake Vostok -- a subglacial lake some 4,000 meters below the surface of the ice -- and the crew of the IceCube Neutrino Observatory, who have been burying a massive array of detectors deep in the ice. (They placed their final detector in December.) Gathered here are recent images of Antarctica, its environment, and some of the scientific work taking place there.

edit on 8/3/11 by lizziejayne because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Here goes trying to provide some embedded samples... Alas I have not yet acquired the art of resizing by code

Edit to add: Art now acquired courtesy of this very helpful thread

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Amazing photos of beautiful place. Those scientists are lucky to work there. Nice find.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Those are amazing pictures! You would have to be an extremely dedicated person to work in those conditions!

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by lizziejayne

Wow, just wow. I would love to see some of that first hand.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
I sure bet a group of like minded people could see some interesting things in the night sky, very cool images. I had never heard of the publication but after reading i "liked" them on fb.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by KevinB

Me too

reply to post by yourtweeter

A basic admin job opportunity based in Antarctica came up with the British Antarctic Survey not so long back - I was very tempted to apply for it, despite the massive pay drop that would have come with it. As circumstances would have it, I wasn't in a position to apply at that point.

But the next time something comes up, menial job or not, I'll be there like a whippet

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Amazing photos!, especially the seal coming up through the ice hole, and the stars look amazing

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   
All those amazing photos and not one of the great big hole leading into earth's hollow interior

S&F op

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   
very cool, really dont see a lot of quality photos coming out of that area.
S&F

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Versa

All those amazing photos and not one of the great big hole leading into earth's hollow interior

I don't know about that... I thought the seal (photo 41) looked a little shifty when she popped out of that "man made" hole.

Perhaps she was hoping we wouldn't find out that it leads straight to Agartha

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by inbound

Someone needs to look into why on this site of the coordinates specified, I see a white rectangular type box?!? hmmmmmmm.....

www.scarmarbin.be...

Coordinates:
lat 68.53
lon 157.56

Interesting, because on Google Earth, nothing has a white box covering something up, but some kind of island there?!?

top topics

join