It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Charlie Sheen is not filial - Bejing global times

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   
I'm not sure where to post this so feel free to move this if you want.

I'm sure we're all aware of Charlie Sheens well publicised breakdown (I'm a winner dyings for loosers, I was banging 7 gram rocks etc etc) but I found an article in the Bejing Global Times about him that is actually pretty insightful as to how the Chinese view us. For this reason alone I would highly suggest reading it.

Direct quote:

"Sheen attracted 1 million Twitter followers in just 24 hours, yet more evidence that microblogs spread the most unhealthy contagions in society like a disease. Chinese family, coworkers, or the authorities would have taken firm steps to make sure someone like Sheen did not make a public spectacle of himself."

beijing.globaltimes.cn...

Mod Note: Posting work written by others.– Please Review This Link.

edit on 8-3-2011 by GAOTU789 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   
I have to say the Chinese have a point. I think this whole Charlie Sheen debacle just makes us look idiots. It's embarrassing.
edit on 8/3/11 by Kram09 because: typos

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Kram09

It is a disgrace I agree. We shouldn't be celebrating someones downfall but we've done it countless times. Think Britney Spears for another example.

But this article does show how the Chinese view the ideas of freedom we base our societies on as cancers. If they're truly going to be the dominant global power views like this will become a very dangerous thing.

On a lighter note I found this observation to be very funny.

Direct Quote: "Sheen goes on television and boasts that he has two girlfriends, who both sleep in the same bedroom. Is he too poor to set up his wives and mistresses in different houses?"
edit on 8/3/11 by Imhotepsol because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
I am an American and I am not an idiot nor do I feel embarassed for the behavior of a spoiled arrogant drug addict. Nor do I take responsibility for the media putting him on TV. The Chinese way of dealing with things is nowhere I want to be, I would rather have the CHOICE (and we choose the media we consume, from internet to tv to print) to consume the media or information I choose to consume, rather than a government (and an oppressive government at that) decide what I should consume.

No thank you.

Charlie Sheen does not make America look bad. China is as guilty as the American Media it lambasts, because China is USING (exploiting) Charlie Sheen themselves for oppressive propaganda against their own citizens! Again, no thank you!

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Yeah..... Who ever wrote that article needs a swift kick.....

From the article:

He ignored his own father's advice to keep quiet, who was once the president of the US. Sheen is a disgrace, unfilial to his father and his fatherland.

What, did I miss something????

Martin Sheen was president?!?!

Wow, for an article talking about how the Chinese view American media/stars, they sure take it as gospel!

edit on 8-3-2011 by OneisOne because: add lols

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

Well all those people who started to follow him on Twitter are idiots in my opinion. They are the embarrassing ones.

It's pathetic.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kram09

Well all those people who started to follow him on Twitter are idiots in my opinion. They are the embarrassing ones.

It's pathetic.
So you dont rubberneck at trainwrecks. Lots of people do. Big deal, it doesnt make them idiots, it mkes their media consumption different than yours.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Its no surprise that China holds such views about America; they have long had a very solid grip on their populace and what they are allowed to do and as media become even more pervasive they can't let that grip fade less they wake up one morning to resemble America. Honestly in the grand scheme of things Charlie Sheen is a nobody; look to the rap artists and other musicians for a true idea of what people in America aspire toward and look up to.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Oh leave him alone .. Charlie Sheen is ok in his situation ...
He hasn't done any harm to anyone .. so let him leave his life ..
Worst mistake he made was giving that damn interview .. he should have just refused .. and lived down low like Al Pachino .. you never about anything on some guys ...

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   

No I don't rubberneck.

People are just too easily distracted. Next time you're in public and an ambulance goes racing past, sirens blaring, watch how many people no matter what they are doing, stop to watch it go by. Yet they will have seen an ambulance hundreds of times before, but because it's noisy and flashes....they are distracted like small children.

That is what it's like with Charlie Sheen now. There are far more important things going on in the world than some vapid celebrities life and his silly little comments about "winning" and "losing."

I don't see the appeal. It's sad.

I have to say you're getting a bit defensive. Are you one of the people who started to follow Sheen on Twitter?

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by legalizeit
Oh leave him alone .. Charlie Sheen is ok in his situation ...
He hasn't done any harm to anyone .. so let him leave his life ..
Worst mistake he made was giving that damn interview .. he should have just refused .. and lived down low like Al Pachino .. you never about anything on some guys ...
Four women have had Charlie abuse them, one he shot. But he has not harmed anyone. Anyway he has four little kids, I am certain they wil not suffer harm for their fathers actions. Too bad we arent in Chona, they would have us in the dark about Charlies break with reality.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Well that's a good thing. Have our lives somehow benefited from Sheen's ramblings?

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   
No in China they would have just exicuted him for being a drug addict. Then harvested his organs and sold them. He would have just disapeared.
edit on 8-3-2011 by wantsome because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Kram09

The years worth of memes alone are worth it. Have you youtubed Star Wars charlie Sheen Mashup yet?

www.youtube.com...

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Well that's a good thing. Have our lives somehow benefited from Sheen's ramblings?
How have our lives been devalued or ruined from Sheen's ramblings? To some people, they place a lot of value on entertainment or laughter for instance. Like shut ins, for instance. The tube, the net and all may be their only link to the world beyond their own doors. I would hate for my own government to dictatre what they can watch or consume. I fail to see how mindless celebrity rantings and watching is ruinous. I myself am able to consume both celebrity gossip ANd gasp, other world event news as well. It is called multi interests.

I am not defensive, I am participating in a thread where the topic is China's own exploiting of the Charlie Sheen situation for propaganda purposes. I am offering an opinion, and defending that opion with followup posts.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Have our lives somehow benefited from Sheen's ramblings?

Yes.

We've witnessed that no matter how rich or famous one is, it won't stop coc aine from making you a babbling idiot.

I'd say that's a pretty beneficial lesson to society.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   
My favorite sheen meme is the Charlie Machine (insult generator). Pure lols.

www.thecharliemachine.com...

To all the charlie haters out there... sure he does a lot of drugs, but so does your grandpa. Charlie's on fire! 1 million plus twitter fans in a single day, and the trolls call it a 'downfall' LMAO. Go back to your troll holes.
edit on 8-3-2011 by avatar01 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Why should everything he do benefit our lives? Have our lives somehow benefited from you post?

Winning.
edit on 8-3-2011 by avatar01 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by avatar01

*Yawn*

He is clearly unstable, yet everyone watches this train wreck happening and finds it mightily amusing.

If your uncle happened to be on the roof of a building brandishing a machete and babbling nonsense, would you just smile and think oh that guy's a character? Infact if anyone (in the UK at least) did the kind of things he is doing, they would no doubt be sectioned under the mental health act.

However because Sheen is considered a celebrity it's perfectly acceptable, infact it's branded by many as amusing and entertaining.

If that's what people consider "entertaining" today, then damn do we have problems....

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Okay, it might not be ruinous, but it's certainly absurd.

Would you consider him to be a good role model? This guy is in the public eye and this is the image he gives off? Would you encourage his kind of lifestyle if you had/or happen to have kids?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join