It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NATO starts 24/7 surveillance of Libya

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   

NATO starts 24/7 surveillance of Libya

www.cnn.com

(CNN) -- NATO has launched around-the-clock surveillance flights of Libya as it considers various options for dealing with escalating violence in the war-torn country, America's ambassador to the organization told reporters Monday.

Representatives of key Western powers also highlighted the possibility of establishing a no-fly zone in Libya -- part of growing campaign to break strongman Moammar Gadhafi's grip on power.

British, French and U.S. officials were working on a draft text that includes language on a no-fly zone, diplomatic sources at the United Nations told CNN.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   
This shouldn't be to hard to implement; as shown here their airforce and AA silos are very, VERY, limited:

en.wikipedia.org...

I understand the importance of a "no fly zone" to prevent Libyan generals ordering more air-strikes, however intervention in the eyes of the general public in ME countries may cause more uprising and revolt, and of course, more accidental deaths in Libya.

I'll keep this thread up-to-date

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by CanadianDream420

Will be interesting to see, if Gadaffa orders his jets to fire upon the survelliance aircraft. A provocative move by NATO, so it can have an excuse to be drawn into the conflict.

Starred and Flagged.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   
A no fly zone is the same as a declaration of war in this case.
Something to consider.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Generally speaking, sending survaliance aircraft is the first step to engagement. Like was stated eariler "in this situation", Gadaffi will most certianly see this act as an open act of war on a sovigern nation.

The United States will most likely enforce a "no fly" zone under the banner of the UN. WW3??? who knows?

All I know is that the big oil companies are taking this convienent opportunity to bend us over at the pump! Can you imagine the head office at Exxon or Chevron. I bet they are cheering on a prolonged assult on the middle east so they can pay for their RangeRovers and BMW's.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   
WW3? Ummm how does this translate?

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by princeofpeace

World War three.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by princeofpeace

I cannot see a bombardment of Libya to escalate past the borders of Libya.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   
The UK have already commited a act of war in libya, buy sending in the SAS . While they can claim moral highground being there to save their Nationals .You can not send armed and undocumented people representing your nations army into another sovereign nation .That is a act of war !

join