It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nyiragongo Crater (Volcano): Journey to the Center of the World: (28 pics-Up Close & Personal!)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   

In June 2010, a team of scientists and intrepid explorers stepped onto the shore of the lava lake boiling in the depths of Nyiragongo Crater, in the heart of the Great Lakes region of Africa. The team had dreamed of this: walking on the shores of the world's largest lava lake. Members of the team had been dazzled since childhood by the images of the 1960 documentary "The Devil's Blast" by Haroun Tazieff, who was the first to reveal to the public the glowing red breakers crashing at the bottom of Nyiragongo crater. Photographer Olivier Grunewald was within a meter of the lake itself, giving us a unique glimpse of it's molten matter.

The view from the volcano’s rim, 11,380 feet above the ground. At 1,300 feet deep, the lava lake has created one of the wonders of the African continent

At the surface of the lake, bubbles of gas explode. The surface is permanently churned by fury from the earth's crust

The expedition members need to tote a total of 1,300 pounds of equipment, food, and water -- enough for two days. The base camp is set up about 400 feet above the lava lake

Volcanic gases heat the base camp. Members often need to don gas masks for sleeping.

14At night, the base camp is illuminated by the light of the lava lake

At dawn, the light becomes magic, but gases could cover the bottom of the crater in a matter of seconds

Source: www.boston.com...

Just absolutely stunning and breath taking. I love it. Be sure to check out the main article link for the rest of the great pics.

I didn't know one could get so close to a volcano-safely. Great work on their part. How many of you would climb down there-into hell?

taking a big chance-for science. I don't know if I could actually do what they did---and sleeping next to it. Just one wrong volcano burp of Lava and you are toast!

Wonderful stuff. I hope you like.
edit on 3/8/2011 by anon72 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Enjoyed the presentation..S&F

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   
excuse double post
edit on 3/8/11 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

thanks for the contribution pretty epic pics =D
S&F

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Setting up tents only feet away from volcanic lava holes so close to 2012 and so many eruptions and Earth changes.... I think I'd rather do a space walk in my boxers.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

Star.... I didn't even think of the whole 2012 aspect etc.

Good thinking my man. (or whatever).

It will be one hell of a show if all the major volcanos blow together in 2012.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by foreshadower99

I'm glad you think they are epic.

They caught my eye for sure. Try starring at them for a bit. I get lost in them.

I especially like lave flow on video. Mezmorizing!

top topics

join