It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'51 hours left to live'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   
One of the most inspiring things I've ever read on the Internet. A man with just a few days left to live posted this thread and interacted with people as long as he could on Reddit:

www.reddit.com...

It seriously hits home...thanks to Oregon's Death with dignity act, he may confront his death in such a strong and brave way...Just reading the comments...it really makes you think, why make people suffer when they choose to confront their death head on, with no regrets.

"Nothing we have is worth hurting anyone else for. It's all fleeting people. Stop seeing race, color, sex, religion, etc...They are all just people, and if you try to love them you won't lose anything."
- Lucidending.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by toast317

Yeah I read that on Saturday. I think he lost his account password and stopped responding but fair play to him for reaching out that way.

I think in debates like this we should stop listening to lawers, family members and pundits and listen the the people who are faced with the decision and it's consequences. If you want to believe they go to Hell thats fine but you have no right to decide how someone in that condition decides to end their life.

SnF

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   

We have the cultural kindness in this country to put down a hopelessly suffering animal when there is nothing else that can be done to help them.

I would think a human being should have that same option.

S & F.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   

I am very interested in your Thread. But was repelled by your link. With respect, as an observer
the layout of the text was not dignified enough for the words of a dying man, nor for the reader who wished
to empathize. Consider.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Wildmanimal

Try reading the link. You might be surprised at the outreach of so many and the positive experiences this man had in his last hour. Personally it touched me. With all the negative propaganda and fear out there it was a breath of fresh air to observe human compassion in today's society.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   
reply to post by StripedBandit

Gems like this happen on Reddit. There's a guy who had no money for food and one of the guys on Reddit basically fed him.

www.reddit.com...

Human kindness between people is natural. Human kindness between opposing identities is impossible.
edit on 8/3/11 by Imhotepsol because: sure why not?

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by mydarkpassenger
We have the cultural kindness in this country to put down a hopelessly suffering animal when there is nothing else that can be done to help them.

since you brought it up,
thought I'd share this story.

Puppy survives euthanasia attempt.
Rises back from the dead.
Now hundreds want to adopt it.

abcnews.go.com...

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

I read that boon and I loved it. I am talking about the needless suffering humans go through as they die, once all hope is lost.

We humans should be able to choose to end our lives in a quiet, peaceful, and dignified way when all hope is lost.

And not die screaming in agony.
edit on 9-3-2011 by mydarkpassenger because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Current thinking seems to be for prolonging life at all costs, regardless of the individuals wishes. Surely when someone reaches that point when enough is enough and the end in sight they should be allowed to die in peace, without having to suffer anymore.

My mum died about 4 years ago after a two year illness. The last time she went into hospital, I knew the end was near but they pumped her full of expensive antibiotics. By then she was very frightened but still had not been told the true situation. I asked why they continued to treat her, and looked at like an evil monster. The doctor told me, with obvious disdain in his voice, that she might get a few more weeks at home.

Weeks of what? Constant anxiety verging on panic, not able to get to the bathroom or make herself a cup of tea, very breathless, and understandably depressed. Cognitively,she still had 'all her marbles' at 84 and well aware of what was happening, and was so scared. It was utterly heartbreaking.

When I spoke to the actual consultant, he agreed it was time to stop the nonsence and told her the truth. She was actually quite relieved and the anxiety lessened a little. I had tried to tell her myself but she 'wouldn't' hear it from me.

There then followed a rapid decline over two weeks and I remember her saying that they wouldn't let an animal endure this. It was horrible and I'l never understand why she could not have the choice about having those last two weeks or not. Just before the end I flipped and literally screamed at the staff that if they didn't do something I would, and knew she wanted me to smother her with a pillow - but I didn't, couldn't!

I spoke to many of the staff individually and they ALL AGREED they did not want to go like that, but collectively they towed the party line.

As a psychiatric nurse, I have recently cared for a couple of men in their 80's seperately, both of them making a serious attempt on their lives, were physically unwell and widowed. Their lives had been artificially kept going with modern medicine and they were not allowed to die. Is this right?

From a different angle - has anyone wondered why the opium poppy is here on earth? It seems to me it could exist to 'help' us at the end of life. I hope and pray that when my turn comes, that is now the case.

top topics

join