It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Report says too many whites, men leading military

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Report says too many whites, men leading military

news.yahoo.com

WASHINGTON – The U.S. military is too white and too male at the top and needs to change recruiting and promotion policies and lift its ban on women in combat, an independent report for Congress said Monday.
Seventy-seven percent of senior officers in the active-duty military are white, while only 8 percent are black, 5 percent are Hispanic and 16 percent are women, the report by an independent panel said, quoting data from September 2008.
One barrier that keeps women from the highest ranks is their inability to serve in combat units. Promotion and job opportunities have favored those with
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   
What percent civilians in the US are black? I believe that the percentages here are not skewed in any questionable way.

I hate affirmative action, and it seems like maybe the military wants to implement it. Not that this particular article effects me....but.... BS nonetheless. How do you all feel about this?

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

+11 more 
posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Isn't it just great how being white and male makes you evil?

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   
It doesnt matter what color you make the us military they are only built to consume and suppress who cares if its run by white. If you run it by Asian its still controlled by the same oppressive government.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   
well you cant have 33% 33% 33% lead when its 80% 12 % 8% serving.

cant find the proper graph.

edit on 7-3-2011 by gougitousakusha because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Really I don't care if the military leadership is all White or Black or Asian. What matters is the person's ability to lead.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   
It doesn't make you evil - but around the world you often hear where one or other tribal or ethnic or religous group dominates the armed forces, or the economy, or politics, and it results in friction.

So presumably reflecting to social makeup of the country in such institutions would help dispell any perception that someone is being discriminated against, and helps create a perception that all groups have a shared interest in the country.

According to the Wiki article on the 2010 US Census, about 75% are white, but this includes about 30 million hispanics! Black - 12.5%, Asian 5%.

Those who identified as Hispanic amounted to about 16% total - 30 million included as "White", 14 million as some other race, 2 million as 2 or more races, 1 million as Black, 1/2 million as Amerindians & about 200k as Asian & Hawaiian.

So......I think that breaks out as about 15% comes off "White" and gets added to "Hispanic", although it's a little confusing for those of use with simpler demographic mixes!

Should be something in the order of (please forgive the rough math!):

60% white
15% hispanic
12.5% black
4.5% Asian
- remainder everone else - Amerindian, Alaskan natives, Hawaian, Pacific Islanders, & "other"

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 08:34 PM
link   
I understand what the report is doing and pointing out, but I disagree with promoting solely based on race. Advancement should be based on ability / training / education / experience etc etc etc.

On the flip side of the coin, having racial diversity towards the top does make sense, as it can provide different views / set of eyes on situations throughout the globe.

One of the questions I keep coming back to in my own mind though, is why as a people do we feel the need to classify people? All those serving in the Military are US citizens. Sometimes I think we hurt ourselves by constantly breaking statistics down based on race.

I would like to see stats broken down based on ability, experiance, education etc for those positions. Things are slowly changing - afterall the highest ranking military commander for the US armed forces is black.
edit on 7-3-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Like the militaries of any great empire in history the generals are hand picked by the ruling class of the establishment. They are groomed pretty much from birth to take those positions of power. Just as groups of families run the banks and global corporations it is a family thing in the US military as well.
I am in the military and can tell you firsthand that the Prince Hall freemasons pretty much run the support side of the house (supply, transportation, etc.) They are gaining ground in middle management as well at battalion and brigade levels as well.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Affirmative should never have any place in a military, law enforcement, or any other position period. I trust that those people promoted to the ranks they hold have the ability and skills needed for their appointed positions. It is promotions based on politics that get people killed.
If you need background info as to how politics and the military in particular get our good men and women killed, I suggest you find and read some good books on the Korean and Vietnam wars.

As to those who are denied what they have earned because of race, creed, sex, etc, they have my deepest sympathies, and those that have discriminated against them have failed us all.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

One of the questions I keep coming back to in my own mind though, is why as a people do we feel the need to classify people?

Your point is valid. And the truth is, we don't. The media, and the government do. The average guy/gal on the street doesn't care. But TPTB like to perpetuate division among the people, and one way they do that is by consistently reminding all of us every chance they get. So its not us making it about color or race. It's the clowns running the show.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Nothing new.

The number 1 priority of the Naval Academy is diversity.

Yea thats right. The number 1 goal of the U.S Naval Academy is NOT to make the best naval officers in the world, its DIVERSITY

Our economy is well on its way down the sh*tter and our military is next

I wont be surprised if we are all speaking Chinese or Russian within the next 10-20 years

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Klassified

I would agree with that. Thanks for refining the answer and question for me. When I do my job, I dont seek out a black corporal or hispanic seargent or an asian LT.

I request a supervisor and whom ever shows is the person I deal with, and race is not even in my thought process. Even when requesting back up officers, the onlything in my mind aside from the task at hand, is the question of which officer is backing me up. There are a few officers that I would prefer not back me up, but that is based on their abilities and lack of common sense, and again has nothing to do with race.

And then there is the Fire Department in the Northeast part of the US, where promotion testing was held. All of the white candidates received hire scores, while minorities received lower, so instead of promoting based on ability, the promotions were scrapped until they found qualified minority candidates.

That is the crap that annoys me. Im alittle tired of the walking on egg shells when it comes to race by some entities.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Then get promoted. Don't blame the "White" man...

Remember in NY they had to choose LOWER TEST SCORES to evenly hire Africans and Hispanics...
Totally unfair and unjust.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Affirmative Action put some Black officers into power in the military.

Ramstein Air Base had a Black General in charge in the 1990's during the Bosnia War. Every plane that was flying into Bosnia was a C-130. It was all the mountainous/overcast terrain and runway could handle. Well a big Black Congressmen wanted to fly to Bosnia...Congressmen Ron Brown. A Clinton Democrat moneymaker extreme. Well that Black General saw political dollar signs pop up in his head and decided he wanted Congressmen Brown to fly into Bosnia in STYLE. He ordered he be flown in on this big luxurious airplane. The White Colonel's at Ramstein said Hell No....you can't land that plane in Bosnia on that runway....the Black General relieved them of Command and didn't listen.

Boom. Plane crashed. Big surprise there. A few people survived the crash but were found with bullet holes between their eyes. We were at war there...guess the locals got to the crash site first.

Slick Willy called up and relieved his Black General of Command for killing his buddy. Ramstein was silent for a week...No General in charge.

That Black General was given a cubicle in the Pentagon to run and sat there for 2 years before he retired.

He killed himself shortly after retiring. Do you remember his name? Nope. Won't be in any history books.

www.rense.com/politics6/bullet.htm

Affirmative Action/Politics in DOD don't work. Ron Brown would concur.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra
I understand what the report is doing and pointing out, but I disagree with promoting solely based on race. Advancement should be based on ability / training / education / experience etc etc etc.

edit on 7-3-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)
I would agree,.
But it would seem that because a certain race was suppressed at one time,. they must have
eternal advancement and special treatment..
Just in case it has not been noticed,.
the African-American has flourished since obama has been in office,. Hmmm
Just watch the news, commercials, and many other media outlets..
edit on 7-3-2011 by Lil Drummerboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Diversity doesn't matter when the leadership are all overpaid secretaries anyway. Those people at the top in the Military couldn't hold a candle to Patton, Marshall, Wainwright, & MacArthur.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 03:07 AM
link   
If white males are qualified for positions that they have, then what's the problem?
I'd be the first to say something if they were incompetent.
But just wanting to change things on racial grounds, is, well..... RACIST.
edit on 8-3-2011 by Flighty because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 03:14 AM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

Bravo and spot on Whatukno. Although it is hardly fair to equate battlefield commanders to the pencil pushers in Washington. Even then, General Petraeus (sp?) wouldn't even come close to the strategic and awe inspiring abilities of those you mentioned in your post.

----------

In general my experience dealing with officers and it was known throughout the enlisted ranks was that we had to put into our minds we were respecting the rank, not the person. I am sorry, but with that attitude, that means there is a lack of true leadership within the officer corp.

This study it seems was conducted within a vacuum. Which is never good in implementing policy in regards to the 'make up' of leadership within the military. White males dominate the ranks through and through in the military. The law of statistics would therefor carry over in the demographics of leadership positions.

A military force doesn't need political correctness less it seeks to cease being functional.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 03:42 AM
link   
This is a Joke surely?

Is their a some sort of campaign against white people going on here? We can't get rid of good officers and replace them with lesser qualified ones just because their skin is darker! Its madness and its racist towards white people in general.

I hate democrats, liberals and anyone else who thinks this crap is normal.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join