It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A million Libyans need aid

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   
They only have a population of 6 million. How long have they been producing oil? Some one over there has a very large bank account. Maybe they can help their fellow country men out.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   

How many are in hospitals because they were bombed?
The Next hing You'll Read Is,,,,, How Many Are in Hospital Because They Were Bombed BY AMERICANS! We Don't Need [Offensive comments removed]

Why, Why, Why, Does it have to be The Good Old USA to the rescue, Every time there is a Disaster some where we are asked to give.
But after we've gave with our Tax Dollars and Our Wallets and Our Own Men and Womens Lives,,, We are Hated and called Names and Kidnapped and Beheaded or Shot by Pirates.
I'm Sorry, I'm Sick and Tired of Sending Our People, Medical Supplies, Food and Water and Clothes Every Time.

Lets take a look at their neighbors, Who close by could help as Humanitarians?
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/db0e99b6235b.jpg[/atsimg]
How about United Arab Emirates, China, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, India and one or two others?

Why, Europe, Australia and the U. S. A.?
I'm just asking? You know the Wife needs a New Pair of Shoes and I need to fuel up my truck, that alone will cost me $150.00, But it's my money and I earned it and I'm Spending it the way I want too.

edit on 7-3-2011 by guohua because: (no reason given)

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

edit on 3/7/2011 by tothetenthpower because: Removed censor circumvention-offensive content.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by guohua

How many are in hospitals because they were bombed?
The Next hing You'll Read Is,,,,, How Many Are in Hospital Because They Were Bombed BY AMERICANS! We Don't Need This S#!t!!!!!!

Why, Why, Why, Does it have to be The Good Old USA to the rescue, Every time there is a Disaster some where we are asked to give.
But after we've gave with our Tax Dollars and Our Wallets and Our Own Men and Womens Lives,,, We are Hated and called Names and Kidnapped and Beheaded or Shot by Pirates.
I'm Sorry, I'm Sick and Tired of Sending Our People, Medical Supplies, Food and Water and Clothes Every Time.

Lets take a look at their neighbors, Who close by could help as Humanitarians?
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/db0e99b6235b.jpg[/atsimg]
How about United Arab Emirates, China, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, India and one or two others?

Why, Europe, Australia and the U. S. A.?
I'm just asking? You know the Wife needs a New Pair of Shoes and I need to fuel up my truck, that alone will cost me $150.00, But it's my money and I earned it and I'm Spending it the way I want too.

I'm sorry but... those people are more important than your wife's foot-ware. I'm glad my wife would rather cut a check for others rather than buy some fancy stilettos.

The article of the OP wasn't about sending money, anyway; it was about logistical support. Unless your wife plans to throw shoes at Libyan planes (which they do), I wouldn't worry about having to pick up the check on it.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

The article of the OP wasn't about sending money, anyway; it was about logistical support.

There's No Such Thing As, Logistical Support, With Out Or Tax Dollars and Our Check Book!
Buy your wife another pair of sandals and burn your candles and say a prey,,, Obama is not going to do S#$t except go Golfing!
I'd let her throw shoes for all I care about them and their problems. YES! She could use a new pair of shoes to match that new dress I bought her last week, No One In Libya sent me any money or support, they didn't offer to fuel up my truck for free or pay my electric bill for the winter.

I'm retired and I have a retirement job for fishing money. That is my Choice and My Money.
There are plenty of other countries that can send assists to them. If things went bad and our aide workers or doctors just happen to get captured,,,,,,, I don't think anyone there will care about some Americans.

Who was Cheering in the streets when our Twin Towers Burned and Our People Died?
There is always the Russias, They can help.

You want to help,,, Open your check book and buy every thing you can afford and hope a plane, Let us know how that's works out for ya.

No One Will Come To Our Assistance when floods, tornado's, hurricanes or earthquakes destroy American Cities. Only our trusted neighbors and friends.

My wife,,,, She Looks GREAT in that new dress and those matching shoes and those finger nails and hair,,,,,, SEXY and Worth it!!
Libya, NO, They'd just Blame America for all their Problems!

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 12:04 AM
link   
reply to post by guohua

That is very sad to hear somebody say. I keep typing a response, erasing it, then typing it again, then erasing it again. I guess I just have more faith in people than that. That is the mentality that has destroyed our nation. Instead of "we the people", it's "me the person"... that's why people in our nation specialize in harming others for personal gain.

If everybody hurts each other, the world suffers. So wouldn't the opposite hold true? Wouldn't caring and helping each other benefit the world? I understand there are a dozen shade tree parable you could give me to justify the callous treatment of your fellow man but selfishness, no matter how you position it, will only destroy our world. Selfishness will help nobody. I honestly hope (truly, I do), that someday when you need help, you will not be surrounded by others with your outlook.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 03:07 AM
link   
More dumb propaganda thinly veiled as "news".

"U.N. aid coordinator Valerie Amos said more than a million people fleeing or inside the country needed humanitarian aid."

Woman expresses opinion, how convincing. How dose she know? and when is the last time the U.N got anything right?.. or told the truth, whole truth and nothing but the truth? If this Valerie Amos person was an ATS member who posted a sourceless proof-less thread claiming she knows 1 million Libyans needed aid.. who would care?

Add several references to "no-fly zone", and... viola!!.. a moral seed of righteousness gets planted, a no-fly zone will protect one million aid deprived desperate people.

Never let a good disaster go to waste

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cuervo

Is this a real question?! Are you really saying that, in order for you to be prompted to help somebody in need, they have to be either in need within your vicinity or they need to be in need because of something you did?

No. I am saying that helping your own people in need should come before one starts doling out money to everyone else. One human life is not above another, so how can you say that a person wounded is more important than one in need of food? All people being equal, they each deserve assistance if someone can help both...but if they can not assist both than a choice needs to be made. This would be akin to a choice between helping a family member and helping a stranger. For your family's sake, I should hope you choose your family. Again, we are only talking if a choice needs to be made. Helping both would be ideal but alas that is no longer an option.

You are equating food stamp recipients to war victims.

One can recover, with proper treatment, from a wound. One can not recover from starvation without food.

Some people actually stop to help somebody on the side of the road. Some people send money to people in need. Some people don't require you to be within arm's reach in order to help you.

I do all of the above....when I can. You seem to be forgetting Rule # 1: The United States is no longer in a position to be all things to all people. We are in a position where choices of who to help and how need to be made. You continue to speak as if we are able to help everyone but merely choose not to. That is far from the situation we are facing.

The rest of you can tell yourselves whatever you want in order to sleep at night but all it sounds like is selfishness. Soon, that way of thinking won't be able to change things and you will be forced to help one another in order to move forward.

Forced to help one another to move forward? I guess hoping for a tyrannical one-world government helps you sleep at night? Because that is exactly what you are supporting with statements such as that.

Definition of selfishness:

Noun 1. selfishness - stinginess resulting from a concern for your own welfare and a disregard of others
stinginess - a lack of generosity; a general unwillingness to part with money

Source: www.thefreedictionary.com...

As you can see, the situation we are discussing in this particular thread has nothing to do with selfishness and everything to do with a lack of capability.

Knowing there are starving and injured people in the world in need of help may weigh heavily on our minds and hearts, but that doesn't produce the money needed to help them nor does having empathy create a viable solution.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   

reply to post by guohua

That is very sad to hear somebody say. I keep typing a response, erasing it, then typing it again, then erasing it again. I guess I just have more faith in people than that. That is the mentality that has destroyed our nation. Instead of "we the people", it's "me the person"... that's why people in our nation specialize in harming others for personal gain.

It is "we the people", it is not "we the world".

If everybody hurts each other, the world suffers.

You are correct. But the people of these countries bear some responsibility. They have allowed their leaders to remain....they have allowed their friends to be hung for speaking out against the government....

The United States has no business dictating how the world should live. Period. Your viewpoint suggests that we should all just grab hands and rejoice and the problems will go away. I'm sorry but it is not realistic. The problems we are facing require money to fix and the problems other countries are facing also require money to fix. There is only so much to go around.

So wouldn't the opposite hold true? Wouldn't caring and helping each other benefit the world?

There is a difference between caring and funding. I believe the majority of people care. Caring however does not make money materialize.

I understand there are a dozen shade tree parable you could give me to justify the callous treatment of your fellow man but selfishness, no matter how you position it, will only destroy our world. Selfishness will help nobody. I honestly hope (truly, I do), that someday when you need help, you will not be surrounded by others with your outlook.

If we were sitting on a surplus, I would agree. If every American was fed, had a roof, was employed, etc., I would agree. But turning your back on our own country is akin to turning your back on your own family. This country is our immediate family and the world is our extended one. I would like to see you look your immediate family member in need and refuse to help them while instead opting to assist a distant cousin.

Again, this is about a decision needing to be made not about withholding aid for the mere fun of it.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   

The article of the OP wasn't about sending money, anyway; it was about logistical support.

"Logistical support" comes with a price tag. I think you are also overlooking that it was US-based companies, individuals, that assisted the people in Libya by circumventing the Internet blackout and providing them with a means to get their messages out via Facebook and Twitter. It is also our warships that sit in those waters watching their country and standing by the ready to assist them should the situation take an even greater turn for the worse.

What we can not do is take in and financially support the livelihood of every Libyan in need of aid.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by lpowell0627

You said "food stamp recipients". Those people are not starving. Americans do not "starve". Starvation is what happens when you don't have food stamps or an income or even any food sources to steal from. We are surrounded by food. Most of our poverty demographic are obese!

Obviously, you are thinking of the extreme cases where people are literally starving to death and, yes, those people should be priority and normally are since they are in our faces on the street corner. Most people I know don't hesitate to feed them so I know that even they get food. I have yet to meet one in the states.

So, no, I don't think those people are on equal footing for aid. Much of the humanitarian aid in the world comes from personal donations from people like you and me, not your taxes (which I'm not for, either). The aid they are requesting right now is one of a physical support nature, not of money. Look at Norway! They give more than any other nation and they are proud of it. There is nothing wrong with that.
edit on 8-3-2011 by Cuervo because: Too early

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   
God are you people still fighting about how much this is gonna cost...

Look they dont need your dollars and their not asking for hand outs...
they have already stated they can and will take care of their own...
take for instance this story

Tunisia: Caravan of Aid for Refugees From Libya

Tunis — A caravan of solidarity was organized, last Friday by Tunisia's Association of Banks and Financial Institutions for the benefit of refugees from Libya.

The caravan, organized with the assistance of Tunisia's Red Crescent, conveyed a large number of blankets and food supplies, according to a statement of the association made public on Monday.

link to story
those poor folks dont want you food stamps or welfare checks...
what they asked for was a no fly zone... period....
edit on 8-3-2011 by DaddyBare because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaddyBare
God are you people still fighting about how much this is gonna cost...

Look they dont need your dollars and their not asking for hand outs...
they have already stated they can and will take care of their own...
take for instance this story

Tunisia: Caravan of Aid for Refugees From Libya

Tunis — A caravan of solidarity was organized, last Friday by Tunisia's Association of Banks and Financial Institutions for the benefit of refugees from Libya.

The caravan, organized with the assistance of Tunisia's Red Crescent, conveyed a large number of blankets and food supplies, according to a statement of the association made public on Monday.

link to story
those poor folks dont want you food stamps or welfare checks...
what they asked for was a no fly zone... period....

I know... but "people here at home need no-fly-zones, too!" I guess. It's the typical mind set of seeing anything leave the front door and the first though it "wait, is that something I should have?!"

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

Should that be the case, than why on Earth did Obama just yesterday authorize another $15 million in aid to the Libyan people? That's actual money, not a pat on the back to say "we support you".

Also, a no-fly zone most certainly would cost money to implement. As I am sure you know, it is not as simple as holding up a sign and saying "don't fly here".

A no-fly zone mandated by us, or anyone else, over Libyan land is a declaration of war. War, as we've known for awhile now, most certainly costs money.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   

I know... but "people here at home need no-fly-zones, too!" I guess. It's the typical mind set of seeing anything leave the front door and the first though it "wait, is that something I should have?!"

Do you know what a no-fly zone order entails?

But the use of no-fly zones is rife with danger for both sides, foreign experts say, and instituting one in Libya would raise the geopolitical stakes.

A no-fly zone is the aerial equivalent of a line in the sand. Violators, whether they are civilian aircraft or fighter jets, can get shot at.

Secretary of Defense Robert Gates warned Congress on Wednesday that any effort to create a no-fly zone in Libya would have to begin with an attack on the country.

Source: articles.cnn.com...
OLITICS

Brilliant....just what we need....to declare war on and attack yet another country. I'd like to see someone argue that won't cost any money.
edit on 8-3-2011 by lpowell0627 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by lpowell0627

The US is contributing $3 million to the International Organization for Migration to help repatriate thousands of foreign nationals who crossed into Tunisia to escape clashes between the government of Moammar Gadhafi and the insurrection against him.

the rest of the money is going towards operating expenses for a a series of relief and evac flights (two cargo planes into Tunisia with supplies for refugees from Libya.)

Canada is right in there too "It's boarded a number of evacuees," Jay Paxton told the Canadian Press. The exact number was not immediately available.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

If you feel the need to help out in Lybia, then by all means go ahead. I find that many people are "charity" depleted. When you get bit every time you attempt to help someone you become more hardened. We can not save the world and I no longer want to even try. I want to be able to relax and enjoy my retirement, not fuel the population growth of our enemies.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

Lets hope its not a racket, meaning the money is being misused, like most aid, foreign loans, and even our citizen aid is, funding corruption, with just a small number of show case, reciprients flouted in front of the pictures.

As for me, I want to know the number they airlifted off, and details, the more the better.

I want accountability.

Solutions as to whether or not people in affluent countries should give aid or look after their own has long been debated. The truth is they need to do both, but also to understand that politicians are not worknig for them, and really set up local counsels, and businesses to replace monopolies, find solutions for homeless, ie donated land and eco farms (oops there are zoning laws against multifamily farms, hmmmm. enough people in those counsels might be elected for city counsel and change some of those rules). Seed banks, generators, and then adopt overseas villages and work hand in hand with others grass roots for the same kind of solutions. They need to form their own co-op banks run by them in shifts, that are run at cost, and not deal with the other banks ever again.

We need to start doing it in community, here and there. Because we're first human, second belonging to a family of origin, and lastly to a territory of birth.
edit on 8-3-2011 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by searching411
reply to post by Cuervo

If you feel the need to help out in Lybia, then by all means go ahead. I find that many people are "charity" depleted. When you get bit every time you attempt to help someone you become more hardened. We can not save the world and I no longer want to even try. I want to be able to relax and enjoy my retirement, not fuel the population growth of our enemies.

Enemies... man, that's sad. No people of any nation are our enemies. We have enemy governments, enemy powers, and enemy figure heads... but not enemy people. Being American does not exclude you from the human species.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join