It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

National Food Shortage: No Tomatoes in my 7/11????

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   
So this is going to be short and sweet but this "National Food Shortage" is hitting home. I went into 7/11 yesterday to buy something to drink and couldn't help but notice a sign that said " Sorry, no tomatoes due to a National shortage." Any one else happen to notice such things yet? I have a feeling I should start stocking up on food.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Yep. A quick search shows this to be a nation-wide, issue. People will have to substitute for something else for the time being, or pay the rising prices. Crop-loss takes its toll.
edit on 7-3-2011 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Sorry, i was unaware of 7/11's vast produce section

I notice this at least once a year lately at fast food joints. They are not cost effective to put on a sandwich or burger

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by youthsavior

I have a feeling I should start stocking up on food.

You mean you've not started doing so already!?

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by youthsavior

Tomatoes in Florida, Peppers and Fruits in New Mexico, I think it might be a bad year for produce.

It isn't a new phenomenon, Florida hasn't had any good tomato years lately. It has affected Taco Bell, and my favorite steak houses for the last few years. Luckily the Cherry Tomatoes have been doing pretty well, so we have had tomatoes for our salads.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   

I went to a Wendy's and they were out of tomatos as well.

The ones at the grocery look awful.

Just curious, but has anyone by chance contacted grocery stores to see what kind of things are harder to come by lately?

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Tomato prices are outrageous right now. It is because of the harsh winter we had that reached well into Mexico and destroyed crops. Prices should rebound this summer. Nonetheless, I grow my own, so I'm in good shape in regards to that.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   
We have plenty of tomatoes in Chicago, in the grocery stores at least. I have noticed some fast food places have signs that you must ask for tomato if you want it, but not all are effected.

I can't find cherries. I was looking for some regular cherries in the produce section at two different super markets, nada. So, I went to look for natural cherry juice, still nothing. No one in the store knew anything other than they were out of stock and didn't seem to know when it would be coming, but I didn't speak to a manager or anything just the the stock person. Bummer, bc I really wanted some cherries.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Yeah, I really need to start stocking up.. Don't have too much money right now, but a couple cans here and there will help. It hasn't really affected me until now. Not like I eat tomatoes from 7/11 anyway. haha

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   
I dunno, but I spent $1.50 on ONE tomato the other day at Walmart... The prices are getting a little out of hand! I think we should all get our gardens going this year, eh??

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   
We just bought tomatoes at a VONS, they were $2.67/lb. Iceberg lettuce is $2.00 a head as well. This is in So.California. They had flyers posted notifying about the shortages.

Fresh produce at a 7/11? Here I always thought the freshest thing at a 7/11 was those continuously rotating hot dogs

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   
I see the same thing here in Denver.

You end up paying a lot more for a crappy tasting tomato. The sign at Safeway referenced the national shortage

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
We went to Burger King the other day and they had no lettuce for our burgers, they said there was a shortage.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Weeeden
I dunno, but I spent $1.50 on ONE tomato the other day at Walmart... The prices are getting a little out of hand! I think we should all get our gardens going this year, eh??

Yeah, I started this thread (below) about a week ago, and things have not improved. In fact, the per/pound price has actually moved up a couple of cents since I first posted.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I'm hearing more and more stories about the fast-food joints putting out signs saying that either there are no tomatoes or they are available only "upon request." While we'll all probably be awash in all the tomatoes we want (in the US) this summer, it's the out-of-season produce that is going to keep hammering us all. While I think that it's wise for every one of us to try their best to grow something of our own (making use of whatever space can be found), I think the better option, for those who have the space and the means, is to start looking into greenhouses or indoor hydroponics. That, aside from canning what you grow during the normal growing season, will be the only way to hold back some of these outrageous food prices we're going to get way to used to seeing.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Great to see that this is widespread...wait did I see great??? No this is horrible! And no, my 7/11 doesn't have a fresh produce isle! There were no tomatoes in there sandwiches!

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Burger King told us (the other day) that there was a freeze in Mexico, so they didn't have any tomatoes. Mexico? Really? They don't have a "Plan B" for potential produce crises?

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   

I bought tomatoes yesterday, but I am planning a huge garden this spring,

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   

I live in Ohio the big grocery stores aren't out of anything right now. 7/11 is out of stuff all the time, well the one in my town is. Cost to much to buy produce there anyways. You pay for that convenience.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   
after thought,

garlic I hear went up 100%, overnight, I hear this is a big warning sign, also heard, stock up with six months to a years supply of non perishables.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

True! Gotta hit up the supermarket this week.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join