It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Spirit of Music...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   
I wasn't sure as to where to put this, so I stuck it here as I have zero evidence to present.

My band is playing our annual week long stint for Bike Week here in Daytona. Last night, after finishing up, a fella came up to me to compliment me on our set, and most particularly, my playing. He told me, among the normal compliments, that he could see "the waves of energy pouring off your guitar" and "about a hundred spirits surrounding you, swirling and dancing in the air to the music". I responded poilitely, thanked him, and went about the business of packing up my gear.

A friend of mine also claims to be able to see "spirits" by the hundreds flying around above the crowd when he goes to concerts. He often goes on about how paranormal researchers/ghost hunters should focus more on looking for "happy ghosts", like the ones he sees at these concerts, as opposed to the "angry ghosts" that they all seem to focus on (i.e. those who met untimely/violent deaths).

Now, I, personally, have never seen a ghost, or a spirit, or anything that I would consider paranormal. I'm pretty mundane that way. I do know that occasionally, while playing music, something seems to augment my playing, allowing me to play better, more melodically, more fluidly, than I am generally capable of. On the very rare night that everyone in the band has this happen, we actually make what I consider "music" in it's purest sense. I know that last night, when the fella told me what he was seeing, it wasnt "happening". We played a good, solid set, but it wasn't exceptional, none of us being "in the zone" where the really cool stuff happens.

This is, from what I heard and read from other musicians, not an uncommon occurrance. I've heard it described many ways, as a "direct line to the creative forces of the universe" and other equally esoteric characterizations.

Anyway, I'd like to get some input from the membership here on the subject. Has anyone here seen "spirits" or whatever at music events? Or "energy" flowing from a performer? Do you think the experience of being "in the zone" or having "augmented ability" could somehow be related?

Myself, I have no idea where this phenomena comes from, or why it happens. I just know that sometimes, (oh so rarely, much to my chagrin) I play better than I know I am able, and have heard the same thing reported by other musicians. I can't say if it's related to "spirits" that I can't see, or any other outside influence. I do know that I dig it when it happens, and I strive to "make the connection" whenever we play. Maybe it's just a focus thing. Again, I don't know, and make no claim otherwise.

So, what do you think? Any annecdotes, theories, or just thoughts on the matter?

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Dude, that sounds awesome.

Being a dancer/performer myself I can understand the euphoric 'flow' music sometimes creates. I'm certain
that there are times when it's more that just the music. I could see energy when i was younger but i think i have sort of unknowingly closed my mind since then.

We can all still feel it though, and thats the important thing i guess.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   
I can relate to that too. I've never seen spirits dancing around me when I'm playing, but I know what you mean about the boost of skill when you're in "the zone". You just seem to not be able to go wrong, and completely feel every note of the music you are playing.

It seems to happen more when I'm playing with others in a band. Sometimes it feels like all our brains are synchronized somehow. Like bluetooth or something

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by subject x

perhaps it is just a spirit fan-base. free admission too!
2nd
f

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by HexagonSun
It seems to happen more when I'm playing with others in a band. Sometimes it feels like all our brains are synchronized somehow. Like bluetooth or something

Yep, I also usually experience it when playing with others, although it has happened with just me playing on the couch. I think a good, responsive audience helps, too, sometimes. Maybe it's a "harnessing" of the collective energy. Then again, maybe not.

I'd sure love to figure out all the angles to it. Having that stuff "on command" would be the absolute best. Ever.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Our minds are still little known despite our advances in medical sciences. Pyschologist and Neurologists would probably by considered shamans by future generations.

There are certain wavelengths that trigger our minds, depending on many variables. Thus if someone comes up to thank you, it had been a variable that touched him enough into actions.

But unfortunately, such variables are relatives still unknown yet, other scientific evidences had acknowledge some freq. And so had marketing firms, that use such freqs on their target market, in the media and malls. Still not a definitive science though, but trail and errors to hit the biggest percentage possible, for such are our current state of developing science - trials and errors on the unknown upon the complexities of humanity with free will facing diversified issues in their lives.

If you are seeking for scientific evidence so as to be able to profit or to reach out, my suggestion would be the best that you can be each time you perform. The best performers are those who perform from the heart and not from the dollar seeking mind. They need only one hit, and if they critically analyse every angle why it was a hit, they would have no problem producing hits everytime - from the heart.

But in our commercialized world where more would prefer watching Idol series than comprehending real issues, sometimes issues from the heart are pearls casted upon sows. Prioritize your needs, and know what you are seeking - profit or reaching out, and act accordingly to your best.

Do not be disheartened if you fail, for making mistakes is the path to perfection, so long as you critically analyse why you failed and do not make the same mistake.

Good luck, and may your music touched and change lives for the better.
edit on 7-3-2011 by SeekerofTruth101 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by subject x
So, what do you think? Any annecdotes, theories, or just thoughts on the matter?

Sounds like you had a biker who may have been awake for days on speed hallucinating. I've done hundreds upon hundreds of performances and still do without ever witnessing "spirits"...

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by SeekerofTruth101

What you wrote makes sense, considering we don't have a definite answer. It could very well be something about the frequencies being played, although that would beg the question of why doesn't it happen every time we play a particular song.

Also, I've heard the same thing being discussed as pertaining to other arts. The painter who says "the picture painted itself", or the actor who says he "became the character", and his "self" seemed to disappear. .Frequency doesn't seem a good explanation for people who have the experience when not necessarily making sounds.

Many artists of various disciplines have described it as them being a "conduit" for whatever creative "forces" there might be out there. I've felt that way myself. It's the one thing I've experienced in my life that keeps me from out and out discarding all claims of the supernatural/paranormal as pure bunk. I've felt it, and know others who have, too, and having no real explanation causes me to accept the possibility that other claims of extraordinary things just might be true, too.

Prioritize your needs, and know what you are seeking - profit or reaching out, and act accordingly to your best.

At this point in my life, I'm just in it for the fun of playing, and for those rare moments when we reach "the cool place". The stuff we play, or at least the way we play it, has zero commercial potential in today's market, judging from what we all hear on the radio (*cringe*).

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by traditionaldrummer
Sounds like you had a biker who may have been awake for days on speed hallucinating. I've done hundreds upon hundreds of performances and still do without ever witnessing "spirits"...

That, too, is a dictinct possibility, and one which I've considered. After 20 odd years of playing this gig, I'm pretty familiar with the many aspects of partying bikers, positive and negative.

I can't say I've ever witnessed "spirits", either, and I've been playing for longer than I care to remember.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Nice thread, I'd highly reccomend you read Victor Wooten's 'The Music Lesson' if you haven't yet, it touches upon the spiritual and supernatural elements of music. The way in which he describes it is that Music is almost like a living entity, all music is playing all the time and its up to the musician to tap into it and channel it in an honest manner. It's a nice way of looking at it, even if you don't agree with all his points (he really does make a lot of good points, he's extremely wise) and he places a lot of emphasis on having good intentions i.e. producing music for music's sake rather than a selfish or superficial reason.

To be honest I think part of why us musicians don't really get experience our music to the same degree is because our role is to unweave the rainbow so that we can actually channel the good stuff. Perhaps this is why non-musicians can get a bit more carried away by songs than a musician can? For example, when you listen to a band you pick apart the separate instruments and analyse them separately in order to see how they collectively coalesce in the song. However, I don't think non-musicians do this, they only hear the entire song.

I do feel music, especially the bands I love. But I wouldn't be able to explain it in supernatural terms it just feels natural, have never seen spirits or anything like that. I see it in more down to earth terms, when you're 'in the zone' you've lost a lot of inhibitions and you've warmed up so you produce more instinctive music.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by arollingstone

Nice response. Thanks for cluing me in on Wooten's book. I wasn't even aware that it existed. As good as he is, I'd be more than willing to listen to what he had to say on the subject. I'll have to check that out.

I know just what you're saying when you you say non-musicians get more enjoyment from the music (not that musicians don't enjoy it). Any craftsman worth his salt sees the flaws of less accomplished people doing his job. Similarly, a friend of mine, a chef, finds it difficult to get a good dinner out. He knows to much a bout it. In the same manner, I know I hear more of what's going on in the music than the average layman. I often wish I could listen with their ears.

Most likely it all does have a lot to do with being warmed up and in the groove. Obviously that goes a long way towards getting there. But then there are the times when you're all warmed up, and happy to be doing it, and grooving right along, yet that "something" doesn't happen. I dunno, maybe it is mostly a mental thing. Not knowing the answers, I can't discount anything, although I do admit that "spirit" influence is pretty low on my list of possibilities.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   
This is an interesting thread. Never really heard of musical spirits, maybe they're what makes people feel different emotions when something is played?

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by supersajjad

I kinda doubt it, but you never know. I'm more inclined to think how you feel when hearing music is influenced by your experience in life and your current emotional state. I have a friend who always says "Lowell George (of Little Feat) is singing about my life". Now, I dig me some Little Feat, but it doesn't have that same personal connection to me. I know that some music which relaxes one person will make another feel more aggressive. Is that due to "spirits"? Probably not.

As an aside, last night's set went well with no reports of spirits or anything else unusual, although there were some very cute girls putting on an impromptu floor show on the dance floor for a few songs.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   
That sound like some decent music is there anyway we could hear some of it sometime? But as far as ghosts I have yet to see one but they must dig your tunes though.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by subliminalsubconcious
That sound like some decent music is there anyway we could hear some of it sometime?

It's questionable just how decent it is, but there's a vid from a year ago to be found here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

There's also some other stuff I posted some time back in BTS music which I could dig up for you if you're interested, mostly original stuff.

After playing for the rest of the week, still no more reports of anything abnormal. Haven't got to "the cool place" either, just normal sets and lots of dancing bikers (which is always entertaining
).

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by subject x

There's also some other stuff I posted some time back in BTS music which I could dig up for you if you're interested, mostly original stuff.

Nice jams.
Keep up the good work!

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by traditionaldrummer

Thanks, we try.
Glad you enjoyed it.

You'll notice that, in the video I linked to, no spirits or anything like that are visible.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 04:37 AM
link   

Agreed definitely not bad.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by subliminalsubconcious
Agreed definitely not bad.

Cool. Glad you dug it.

I've been talking this week to members of the other bands who have been playing alongside us. To a man (or woman, as the case may be), they confirm the existance of "the cool place" where you play beyond your normal ability. Some think it's just a mental/focus thing, while others feel it's something more esoteric, like "being connected to the creative energy of the universe". I even came upon one fella who thinks that it's something akin to being "posessed by the spirits of former musicians".

Now, I don't know about all that, but I can see how someone could think that way. In some ways, it almost feels like it's not too far off the mark. Last night, I "got there", and melodies were just flowing out of my guitar effortlessly. I was whipping out techniques that I hardly ever use, crazy sweeps and weird modes and such, and couldn't hit a bad note. When we finished, I felt like I'd been "rode hard and put away wet". It was a great night for me, and several other band members and friends, along with some audience members, commented that I seemed "on fire". Now, I'm fully aware that I'm just a hack and shouldn't have been able to play as I did, but there it was. I still don't know why it happens, but I sure like it when it does.

top topics

join