It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Women and Survival.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Now that I think about it, I believe small, easily concealable weapons such as blades would be very handy, especially for us. We will have to have some experience being independent at least once... most of us have seen the movie The Road, right? Imagine being that kid without his father... akin to being yourself without a group.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   
The indian women use to put sand up there to prevent rapes. Well... To give them a nice surprise for the attacker.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by MyMindIsMyOwn
reply to post by mutantgenius

Hi there... seems we may have some of the same interests here as I am not too bad of a green thumb and I'm very interested in natural medicines. Can't say that I'm a crack shot with a firearm, although I would do in a pinch I suppose and I'm not bad at all with a bow.

Nice to meet you, glad to see someone of similar interests in the threads! Feel free to contact me at any time, would welcome the 'chat' with similar minded women in the exchange of ideas!!

NoRegretsEver, thanks for starting this thread! I think starting an online community of women concerned with survival issues is a great thing as I really feel that at times we may feel we take a back seat, especially those just starting out. I know I was totally in the weeds when I started.

Thanks for your contribution. This is the reason why I started the thread in the first place. I hope that this is helpful for all of us.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   
No need for women. I am going to sell the girl I'm dating for 3 acres of corn and 10 cows if something bad happens.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   
In the past three years I've studied every survival book, article etc, hat I could find.
I even learned how to make a decent shelter (I'm pretty good with the saw, nails and hammer), how to cook without a oven, everything there is to know about planting and herbs.

I know how to skin a rabbit, how to dry food, and as I have no access to weapons in my country (and I do not believe in them) I'm learning how to use a ...(don't know the name for them) sling with stones in it (you can kill somebody that way, but I hope I have only to use them on rabbits.)

And you know what? All this time I tried to get a group together for that maybe time, and all I got were women.

The men laugh their heads off and keep saying, it will not get that bad. Even my son is not interested.
But my 5 daughters are and are also learning.

Thank you a good post.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

Sir, you won't be able to procreate with that.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Elaethyr
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

Sir, you won't be able to procreate with that.

Shhh....that's a GOOD thing.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Thinking about this now. I wouldn't be completely defenseless I suppose. I have a pretty decent green thumb and have taught my children how to grow their own food. I recently purchased a guide to Edible and Medicinal plants for my region and am also a Reiki practitioner. That comes in handy pretty often.

link   
reply to post by NoRegretsEver

Love this thread! I've been a lurker here for awhile, but joined ATS just because I wanted to participate in this thread. I am a 40-something woman, divorced, so if the SHTF, I'm pretty much on my own (along with a few local friends). Anything we can teach and learn from each other to help us all grow stronger and more prepared, the better.

Thanks for starting the thread, NRE, and I look forward to getting to know you all better.

link   
reply to post by Elaethyr

All due respect, if TSHF, who could procreate with a clear conscience? Hell I refuse to have a kid in the world now as it is lol. Do people really think that we will all become raping savages if there is some crazy scenario that goes down though? All of the survivalists I know are very moral people, and these will be the type of people that will pull through in this kind of situation. I guess the initial few months might be like that though, everyone going ape#, knowing they will probably die soon, because they have no idea how to survive without mcdonalds and tim horton etc....
edit on Sun, 06 Mar 2011 21:11:06 -0600 by TKDRL because: spelling errors...

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

Yeah, yeah!, I get what you're saying!
Once we're out of that dangerous time zone, only the worthy (or the seriously lucky/manipulative) will be around. I suppose with these people who made it through the sieve, we could make the world a better place, just starting over from a really bad status.
We can just teach the kids several other things, along with believing in Santa Claus or La Rata Guera, to watch out for the fallout or landmines and stuff.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by MyMindIsMyOwn

Hi there... seems we may have some of the same interests here as I am not too bad of a green thumb and I'm very interested in natural medicines. Can't say that I'm a crack shot with a firearm, although I would do in a pinch I suppose and I'm not bad at all with a bow.

Nice to meet you, glad to see someone of similar interests in the threads! Feel free to contact me at any time, would welcome the 'chat' with similar minded women in the exchange of ideas!!

NoRegretsEver, thanks for starting this thread! I think starting an online community of women concerned with survival issues is a great thing as I really feel that at times we may feel we take a back seat, especially those just starting out. I know I was totally in the weeds when I started.

ETA: Some info for specific ailment in a SHTF situation Diabetic Survivalist
edit on 6-3-2011 by MyMindIsMyOwn because: Added link

Nice to meet you too MyMindIsMyOwn.

Notice the very civil air of this thread so far! Again, just saying!

Until I put my avatar up most couldn't tell if I was male or female, most people called me "him", "he" or "dude"

There are alot of women on this site, despite what the guys think, it is just not always immedietly apparent, nor should it be. There are alot of informed, intelligent women out there, unfortunately it is difficult to come across them in day to day life. It is nice to interact with you all here!

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   

I wish all of you ladies were my neighbors.
Then we could just defend our territory.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   
I would like to thank all that all that have contributed to this thread. I wanted to remind you that the thread on the first page, the "Do It Yourself Thread SHTF Scenario" Is full of everything that you can think of and more, there are link to gardening, solar cooking, PDF for all emergency situations and more.

I made sure that everything was to the point, and ready for print. Also I added the reminder that whatever is printed out to store in plastic, to keep safe.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by UtahNavyBrat
reply to post by NoRegretsEver

Love this thread! I've been a lurker here for awhile, but joined ATS just because I wanted to participate in this thread. I am a 40-something woman, divorced, so if the SHTF, I'm pretty much on my own (along with a few local friends). Anything we can teach and learn from each other to help us all grow stronger and more prepared, the better.

Thanks for starting the thread, NRE, and I look forward to getting to know you all better.

Aha! I finally forced you out into the open!! LOL UtahNavyBrat is one of my dearest friends. As soon as I saw this thread, I sent it to her and told her to bookmark it.

We are in the same boat (no pun intended), and we are going to get through whatever the hell it is that might come our way, together. I couldn't agree more with the sentiments expressed. NRE, thank you for starting this and bringing it to our attention!

Looking forward to learning so much more!

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by NoRegretsEver

I feel that if SHTF, we can be very useful. If this was to happen tomorrow, I would be alone, as a women, and I feel that women need options if found alone. I am sure that we are all aware that some not all men, think that it would be harder for a women to fend for themselves. I would like to turn that into a myth!

Huh? What would make someone think otherwise? I think that when SHTF, women will have it far better than the men, personally.

Women are natural survivors, that we exist as a species is proof of this.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 01:43 AM
link   
This is an interesting topic.

IMHO women have just as much as a chance to survive a SHTF situation than anyone else. I mean if you really think about it women and men are pretty much equal when it comes to anything. Physical strength is usually the only thing that men have more of. That being said I am a man that is not scrawny by any means but I have seen plenty of women that could beat me up.

Both women and men can: build a fire, hunt, gather, make shelter, find water, garden.

When it comes to survival it all boils down to how badly you want to survive, not what sex you are.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 08:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Topsy_Cret

I agree with you 100%... it should not matter what sex you are in a survival situation. Women are just as capable as men are at keeping themselves alive as well as contribute in a goup/community effort. However here on ATS, as well as in my off-line life, there is a perception that a woman is reliant upon someone else to insure her survival.

Not meaning any disrespect to the men on ATS that are survival minded, nor to the men in my life who are similarly like minded... but consider the following, as this is sometimes how I feel. There are at times when the feeling is that we are little Cindy Lou Who in the Grinch Who Stole Christmas when the Grinch hands her a glass of water and pats her on the bottom with a "there, there....everything is OK, nothing to see here... go on back to bed like a good little girl and let the big boys handle the rest" mentality. I've had to work 2x as hard to 'prove' myself as a partner in the prep work and planning than my male counterparts.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Sure who would cook the food anyway? Some men can cook, but I still even now think women's food just tastes better (nothing like momma's cooking, you know?)
Actually we are a lot stronger than men think. We may be coined the "Fairer" sex, but do you know one man who could bear the pain of childbirth without curling into the fetal position and crying like a baby? I am not saying this to put down men, however it is scientifically proven we have a higher tolerance for pain is all I am saying. Being injured we could probably go on alot longer and a lot further than a male. Also us women being nurturing types that we are a lot of us know a vast many cures and holistic methods of healing because we know about these things either passed down through generations from our grandmothers or we have studied it because of our nurturing/healing nature. Not all women mind you, but a vast majority of us could be very important just for the survival of some people.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by gaia.chi.au
i'm a male and to be honest i think women would kick ass over us big macho guys! look in nature, in a lot of the most dangerous species it is the female who does the hard work, and is the better killer... take lions for instance, the male sits on his ass while the females do all the hunting...

That must be why there's gender seperation in most sports. Because females are physically too dominant for us males

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join