It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Somebody remind why we are in Afghanistan ?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 05:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

that may be the case regarding the usa, however, european interests come into play here.
2nd
f

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 06:18 AM
link   
reply to post by fakedirt

I was under the impression European involvement dealt with the fact they had citizens killed in the 9/11 attacks, as well as being part of NATO where the self defense - attack on one is an attack on all clause.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   

i wouldn't want to nail it down to one specific reason. resourses seem to be the predominant reason in my opinion at the moment. assist in installing a friendly governance and let the commerce commence. i know that initially the doublespeak in the media centered around routing out the extermists in afghanistan who were to 'blame' for 9/11. very murky waters indeed. with ex-pm tony blair mentioning 'nation building' and all the deals to secure libyan oil 'at the time', it just seems like it was an excercise in securing more resourses. when developed nations leaders speak of 'stability', it comes across to me and also to others i have conversations with as 'obedience to our way'. Noam Chomsky has a good take on this.
with the failed diplomatic attempt at engaging the rebels in libya with the assistance of special forces packing kit, i feel with regards to this specific issue, the uk may have to re-negotiate the oil agreements previously made under the daffy regime. it may be the case that the chinese will offer better conditions more agreeable to the libyan country.
the truth may be completely at odds with the current beliefs presented on the media.
regards f

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra
reply to post by MrWendal

The incident you are talking about, in 2001, was not the first request. President Clinton and the UN made the same requests back in the late 90's, which the Taliban ignored.

I never said it was the first request. What I did state was that the Taliban agreed to turn over OBL prior to the invasion and during the bombing runs. Which in essence means there was no real need for an invasion. That is the point, which clearly you missed.

Besides that, who cares what they ignored back in the 90's? Britain ignored the US's request for freedom back in the 1700's. Are we still supposed to hold a grudge today? If the Taliban refused to turn over Bin Laden back in the 90's (which by the way is 20 years ago), then the time to deal with that issue would have been in the 1990's.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by MrWendal

Not quite. The Taliban refused to turn over Bin Laden until the US provided evidence of their involvement, which at that paoint was well known around the world. Then they made a counter offer to the US, agreeing to turn over Bin Laden with one change - They wanted to turn him over to Pakistan and wanted him tried under Sharia Law.

Since Sharial law sanctions his actions, he did not violate Sharia Law, and therefore would be found not guilty.

The Taliban has had many opprotunites to capture and turn him over - nothing.

As far as what occured back in the 90's, you just made my point about ignoring information in order to lay the blame on one persons doorsteps - That of the Bush Administration.

Its is extremely relevant about how Bin Laden came to be, from his actions as Muhajadeen, to that of terrorist leader. By acknolowedging the first WTC attak, the Cole and the embassy bombings, it removes a key argument to those who blame bush - That Bush was responsible for what occured because of his policies, when in fact it was not.

edit on 8-3-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Actually it was not Pakistan, it was Saudi Arabia that they agreed to turn him over to, with no evidence provided, if the US would stop bombing their country. Which is something I laid out quite well in one of my previous postings which you choose to ignore the majority of. In addition, I provided countless sources which show why the Taliban did not turn over Osama Bin Laden, which clearly you choose to ignore as well, and no where in their statements to they make any demands that he be tried under Sharia Law. They asked for evidence, which could not be provided because the FACT is there is no evidence linking Osama Bin Laden to 9/11. Zero, Zip, Nada, Nothing. Again, you might want to go back to my previous post and actually read what I provided.

I have also ignored nothing and proved no point you are attempting to make. The only thing I blame the Bush Administration for is being a puppet like most of our politicians are, as well as the actual invasion of Afghanistan. You can attempt to lay blame on anyone else you would like, but it was the Bush Administration who used 9/11 as an excuse to invade Afghanistan in order to put an end to the functioning terrorist training camps and capture or kill Osama Bin Laden, and that is not my opinion- those are the words of The Decider himself, George Bush.

Why you would bring up the 93 WTC Bombing is really beyond me, as Osama Bin Laden was never accused or charged with anything relating to that "attack" which we now know was really the work of the FBI. Before you even think of attempting to debate that fact with me, I would strongly suggest look into the audio recordings which came out in court which clearly show that the bombing was an operation under the supervision of the FBI who not only provided the materials for the bomb, but knew what day, time, and area the van bomb was to be placed. Yet they still allowed it to happen.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   
As an ethnic Afghan, the United States is in Afghanistan for one purpose only, key strategic location in Central Asia, to be underneath the belly of the Russians, to be next to the Pakistanis, and ultimately be next to the Iranians. Lets go in, wipe out a race of people, and act like nothing even happened. We need to bring those soldiers home, we all know that Afghanistan has had a history of tension, wars, and turmoil. All that aside, the world's greatest leaders have tried to topple them down and right now its not working. Its time to bring the troops home and let the Afghans live in peace for once. That's all they ask for.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   
WE are there to free the afgani people from the opression of the dirka dirka tribe of nimbowa

Their lead witch doctor unleashed a brutal attack of tribbles that had to be stopped

in a emergency meeting of F.I.T.H.M (fracked in the head morons) it was decided that the United States would free the AFgani people from the Dirka Dirka tribe.

Many people have gone for the sizable prize that was put on the head of the Dirka dirka's head Witch doctor Bin Dover which was one million doggers

which in current american money is like five cents. none the less Red Neck from time to time.. some how hop in their hillbilly miricle boxes and fly or swim to afgan

Whilst most never make it out of the great states of the south still under norther agression. some lucky few get to afganistan to wage one man rambo wars.

only to go home when they sober up.

...................................................................................................................................................... ...................................................................................................................................................... ...................................................................................................................................................... ....................................

Well isn't that what most people who have no ideal why we are there or what we are doing say were doing over their.

typos left in for comic effect

LIVE LONG AND PROSPER

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by bigyin

If a random American Bombed England, would they mean all of us are bombers and terrorists ? and would England invade us because we are the enemy or because of that one person ? So why are we in a country instead of chasing one man ?

makes no sense. sorry if this sounds confusing

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Leemo

Right on, Leemo! Location, location, location. Next to Pakistan imo ranks second to being next to Iran. Remember Israel in all of this future scenario?

And the one reason that everyone missed is..ta-da, Christiane Amanpour. Remember her gut-wrenching special about the women and young girls in Afghanistan, their oppression and lacking the right of speech, or the right to be educated? It aired just before the decision to go to war. And ewww, didn`t she just do a similar type of special on Lybia? ( I didn`t see it though.)

And thirdly, we cannot ignore the testing of drones and new armaments for the huge war machine/Rand et al.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by aboutface

Oh God help us. The UN just approved going in to impose a no-fly zone in Lybia.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join