It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cascadia MegaThrust Fault Goes Active

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   
I have been watching this fault for several months. With the earthquake activity around the Pacific Rim this fault has been due for a major quake. It just had 3 in the 4.5> Quakes, 2 in the last couple of hours. Keep an eye on this one.

Update time = Sun Mar 6 23:00:03 UTC 2011

MAP 4.9 2011/03/06 22:23:16 44.334 -129.473 10.2 OFF THE COAST OF OREGON
MAP 4.8 2011/03/06 21:35:48 44.372 -129.346 10.9 OFF THE COAST OF OREGON
MAP 4.5 2011/03/06 13:46:35 40.455 -125.427 2.6 OFFSHORE NORTHERN CALIFORNIA

USGS Recent Quake Page
earthquake.usgs.gov...

Map of Current Quakes:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7df8e6e493e5.gif[/atsimg]

edit on 6/3/11 by spirit_horse because: Updated Thrust to MegaThrust

edit on 6/3/11 by spirit_horse because: Added the Map to the OP

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Could you maybe be a little more informative on your post? Why is it called a "megathrust fault"? Why do you think it's "due" for a major quake? What do you think might happen if it hits and where might that happen? How far does this fault line run? etc, etc, etc.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   
I just checked it out on USGS its true 2 earthquakes off the coast of Oregon.

I too have noticed uptick in activity along the Cascadia fault, but I must admit that all my information is just based on USGS site.

I do Have a question: recently there have been earthquakes near Greenland and along arctic circle, are all these linked to Cascadia fault?

can someone explain please.

also we must keep in mind that uptick in earthquake activity is to to expected because come March 15th moon will be a lot closer to earth.

another thing to remember is that the sunspot activity on sun is growing and any solar flares can further increase the number of earthquakes.

Thanks

May The Force Be With You

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   
im real glad i dont live on the coastal states. hope all works out for the west. been awhile sense the last big one..peace

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   
The Cascadia Fault is a type of fault known as a MegaThrust fault. It is where the Juan de Fuca plate is going under the North American plate. The NA plate gets bound up and when it breaks loose it releases all that stored up energy which has been building for several hundred years and can cause a major earthquake 9.0 or better like the one in Indonesia in Dec. of 2004 that generated the Tsunamis that killed 250,000 or so people. The Cascadia fault has generated Tsunamis along the West coast of the US and Canada and even to Hawaii and Japan in the past. It has a cycle about every 700 years or so and is due for it to go off again. I am not a quake expert, but I keep a keen interest in them. Here is a Wikipedia article on the Cascadia Fault:
en.wikipedia.org...

Hope this helps.

edit on 6/3/11 by spirit_horse because: spelling

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   
I added the map to the OP, so I deleted it here.

edit on 6/3/11 by spirit_horse because: Moved to the Map to my OP

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by lordvader

That is true, however I have been watching this over the last year or so and it hasn't generated quakes very often and then they were in the 2 and 3 magnitude. This is the first time I have seen 3 seperate quakes in the 4.5, 4.8, and 4.9 range all withing a few hours. I am sure the increased activity on the Pacific plate is destabilizing the area. That is part of the reason I have been watching it. I saw all the other quake activity around the Pacific Rim of Fire and this area has been quiet. South America, especially Chile, Mexico's Baha of California, Alaska have been active and I figure it has to break loose with all the stress being put on the area. Basically, if everything around it is moving it is going to have to adjust. And that is the problem, megathrust faults can give in a major way like the Indonesian quake in Dec. of 2004. If it does give in a major readjustment, there can be a major disaster.
edit on 6/3/11 by spirit_horse because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   
A MEGA quake just happened somewhere...showing on GEE

I am afraid it is near me...my house just quivered.

EDIT TO ADD: No quake showing still...this may be a more localized event in Arkansas
edit on 6-3-2011 by westcoast because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

where did this happen?.
hmm of to quake watch to see if they have anything there on this MEGA-QUAKE??.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 07:25 PM
link   
I'm in Oregon and didn't feel anything. Nothing on USGS for pacific northwest at this time.
edit on 6-3-2011 by amazing because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   
There was a 6.6 in the Solomon Islands. But nothing else on Cascadia right now. But, I will be keeping an eye on it the next couple of days closer than usual. It could be preliminary quakes, just an adjustment, or nothing at all in regards to a large quake on the fault. I just havent seen 3 in the 4.5 to 4.9 range on that fault. There has been a few 2's and 3's.

Heck, maybe if we watch it it won't go off. I am sure there is something in Quantum Physics about that...like Shrodenger's Cat!

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by spirit_horse

I was just looking at those 3 on USGS and wondering what is out there. What is Cascadia a fault, a caldera, not sure what we are talking about but, whatever it is it seems to have risen out of its slumber... PEACE and thanks
edit on 6-3-2011 by piercebitchone because: disregard you answered already thanks

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by piercebitchone

It is a subduction zone fault, which can generate megathrust earthquakes of magnitude 9.0 or greater and in this case if one occurs it is highly likely that it will generate a large Tsunami on the order of the 2004 Indonesian Tsunami on the West coast of the US Canada, Hawaii, Japan and other areas as well.

You can read more about it at this Wikipedia page. Here is the link:
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   
wonder as the days goes by if this is going to settle down
or pick up some more i for one hope it's just relieveing some stress i think there is
just to much going on atm and the world
just does not need any more disaster it's just crazy
we are living in scary times
anymore on the cascadia fault since your report?.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by karmajayne

Nothing since then. Here is the USGS page that lists earthquakes aroung the world for the last 7 days and of magnitide 2.5 or greater. It is a real easy way to check the situation on quakes all over with a quick glance. I keep the link on my favorites bar and check it once in awhile. The thing is that media today reports things all over so fast that I don't know if the earthquakes are increasing in occurence or if it is just the reporting that makes it seem like that. Back when the Northridge quake hit California back in 1994 I have had interest in quakes. I had dreamt I was in a quake with debris falling on me and trying to get people out of the area. When I woke up and turned on the TV in the morning there was on all the news stations showing the destruction. I couldn't believe I dreamt about a quake while it was happening. Now, with the web you have access to so much information it really can overwhelm a person as to the sheer number of emergencies or disasters going on in the world. Like the EDIS website.

Here is the USGS 7 day 2.5 magnitude or greater page:
earthquake.usgs.gov...

And the EDIS world wide emergency events live web site:
hisz.rsoe.hu...
Sort of off topic on my own post!

edit on 6/3/11 by spirit_horse because: spelling! Need a spell checker sheesh....

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   
And another little 3.9 ...
MAP 3.9 2011/03/07 02:22:02 44.299 -129.136 10.8 OFF THE COAST OF OREGON

Red one is the 3.9

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/634f3964a28c.gif[/atsimg]

I really hope for the peoples sake that live on the West Coast this doesn't go big!

edit on 6/3/11 by spirit_horse because: Add Map

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   
3.9 just hit.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   

cheers thanks i have been looking for that site all day lol so thanks for linking that friend

and wow thats very scary dreaming about it then you wake up and it had happend maby you have some sort of talent or whats the word but obvisly you knew something was going to happen unless it a coincidence but those seem to happen all to often these days i hope this thing settles down i will add it to my favourite too for future reference..

will be back to check later on then ill be off for two days so i hope nothing happens will check when im back up and running

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by karmajayne

No prob Karma. Yea, I had some amazing capabilities when I was a little kid. I would answer questions my parents were just thinking. Along with a buch of ...well strange happenings. But, I seem to have lost it all growing up. I still have dreams from time to time and it actually happens, but I think that modern society and all the noise TV, radio, etc throws at you the more your senses in this 3D reality gets stronger and the 6th sense fades to the back not used. It makes me wonder if we as a species hadn't invented all the distractions what we would be capable of doing now. Anyway, thanks for joining in and hopefully this fault goes back to dormant stage instead of the other way!

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   

i know we are going off topic but i agree with you 100% about it being due to t.v and just modern day tech
i read some where that with all the t.v radio tech etc is at a low vibrational frequency(mind spelling lol) and we should be allowing ourselves to the higer frequencys of the earth universe maby you should try meditating it may help you pick back up on the skills you have as you seem to have a gift most of us can't use so grasp it with both hands friend

sorry back on topic with my one line i really hope nothing big happens as if a big one does occur it is not going to be pretty

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join