It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Antarctica And The Discovery Of A 2,000-Year-Old Map

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Doug Fisher

Doug I hope to read this in a best selling book one day with you and the people involved getting all the credit, because that is how impressive this information looks.

Amazing work and thanks for sharing. Really it is worthy of a publisher while books are still being made.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Djarums

Thanks Djarums,

The nervousness was the result of my lack of familiarity with this forum. I had the five separate sections to post in uninterrupted sequential order and I wasn’t even sure the forum would allow you to reply to your own post. I thought about messaging a veteran poster for a little advice, but got a little reckless and decided to just go for it.

At that point it would be a race to make sure I got all five posts in before someone replied and potentially broke up the set. It was a full on sprint and I anticipated something going totally wrong. I worried that my internet connection would go on the fritz and when my wireless mouse was showing low batteries I was sure it was a sign. Go Back! Do not Proceed!

I changed the batteries and hovered over the post button for what seemed an eternity as my index finger refused to cooperate. I had rushed through some last minute edits and I knew I should go back through and do one last review because... click... too late.

The adrenaline was rushing through my veins. C’mon, c’mon refresh. Where’s the ‘Reply’ button? Paste. Reply. Jump over to my Word document. Copy. Back to browser. Rinse, Repeat. Rinse, Repeat.

Then the second-guessing began and my heart was already racing after the posting sprint. Did I rush it? How will the material be received? Is it too long? Will the formatting display correctly? Did I...

Reply #1
You misspelled ‘Sakhalin’, dumb$@#!

Seriously though, thanks everyone for the positive reception of the material.

-Doug

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   

I watched ancient aliens on a history special the map they were talking about was 99% accurate with today's maps of Antarctica. I bet you that there was no ice on Antarctica when they mapped it. But how did an ancient civilization map the area with somehow having an Aerial view of the land mass? I'll tell you what I think. Ancient civilizations were far more advanced in some aspects of life than we are today! Ancient civilizations were the masters of physics and mathematics! I truly believe ancient civilizations were far smarter than we are because of their superb understanding of physics and mathematics! Some say that the world has been destroyed 4 times. This is why we have no evidence of how megalythic structures and pyramids were built! each time the world was destroyed by disasters everything started over. So maybe these ancient persons really were more technologically advanced than we are today but we can't see that because everything was wipedout and no evidence was left. So how did an ancient civilization map such a large land mass before it was even discovered?

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Excellent thread - well written, put together, researched. Old style ATS. S&F&

...I have long thought that many older / ancient maps might not be inaccurate but rather, document real earth changes - and that major earth changes occur more quickly and frequently than is commonly acknowledged. And your thread seems to go a long way towards proving that speculation. ...Is this what you're suggesting?

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Just wanna give my best compliments for your work,,,absolutly amazing and well done...Still reading it

Congratulations!!

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   
good post...

anyone see this: 2 Suns was debunked here on ATS

Link
edit on 7-3-2011 by getreadyalready because: Link fixed so it goes to proper location

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   
This is the most in depth analysis of this subject I've seen anywhere. I think you may be well on your way to a book. As I'm not that educated in regards to cartography some of the information was a bit over my head on the first read, but I wouldn't want you to dumb anything down.

The only question I have is on the side by side comparison with Schoner's Antarctica on the left Hadji Ahmed's Antarctica on the right, your caption states "The actual Unfortunate Islands depicted more accurately on the Hadji Ahmed map." I was under the assumption, based on your text, that Schoner's map was actually a more accurate portrayal of the Unfortunate Islands. Is the Ahmed map more accurate?

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Bravo sir, bravo! I have always been fascinated by Antarctica ever since my time in Germany and knowing Hitler's
fascination with it as well.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   
When can I get one from WalMart

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow

Excellent thread - well written, put together, researched. Old style ATS. S&F&

...I have long thought that many older / ancient maps might not be inaccurate but rather, document real earth changes - and that major earth changes occur more quickly and frequently than is commonly acknowledged. And your thread seems to go a long way towards proving that speculation. ...Is this what you're suggesting?

Thanks soficrow,

And yes, I am suggesting that some 'earth changes' may occur more rapidly than currently maintained, at least in the realm of Antarctic icecap formation. I am also saying that for now this is a relatively high hurdle to overcome, but...and I hate to do this...I may have made significant inroads into overcoming this hurdle, but that is part of a far bigger discovery to be revealed sometime in the future.

-Doug

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Epic map thread. GOOOOOOOOOOOD Job OP, you did an amazing thing here.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cobra5000
This is the most in depth analysis of this subject I've seen anywhere. I think you may be well on your way to a book. As I'm not that educated in regards to cartography some of the information was a bit over my head on the first read, but I wouldn't want you to dumb anything down.

The only question I have is on the side by side comparison with Schoner's Antarctica on the left Hadji Ahmed's Antarctica on the right, your caption states "The actual Unfortunate Islands depicted more accurately on the Hadji Ahmed map." I was under the assumption, based on your text, that Schoner's map was actually a more accurate portrayal of the Unfortunate Islands. Is the Ahmed map more accurate?

Thanks Cobra,

Regarding your question, if Schöner's map were based on a genuine map of Antarctica, it is key that his map would be a more accurate portrayal of Antarctica's Siple and Carney Islands, which it is:

Later iterations of the design like Hadji Ahmed's were unaware of the correlation between Western Antarctica and these two islands and consequently the islands began to look less and less like Antarctica's Carney and Siple and more like the actual Unfortunate Islands discovered during Magellan's voyage:

-Doug

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   

This is very good, and does point to maps I've never heard of before. What I can tell you is that we as a people today don't know the whole process involved with what truly happens weather wise in an Ice age or a global shift or slip that they say happens so many tens of thousands of years. We do know a couple of things, one that the axil tilt does shift and the true north does go with it. Two, during the last ice age the sea levels where at least 135 meters lower but some say 350 to 400 meters (which would bring up more land and also make areas that where open to the ocean closed seas. And three, if you wiki flood myth or deluge you will see almost all cultures around the planet have a flood myth and then their god or gods bringing their people back into being. Now was the flood myths from the increasing of the water during the meltdown of the last ice age and the raising of the seas. Was it from a cataclysmic shift of the axis where the oceans sloshed on this planet back and forth like a person moving water back and forth in a tub. We don't truly know, but I think at one time these individuals had access to a known map or carving that was in Alexandria library and many used that as a base map. They probably didn't know or care about this enclosed ocean and thought it was part of the europe africa asia crecent. What if as an example Agrippa all of a sudden without know one knowing first hand had access to one of our 21st century maps of the world stretched out. He looks at it and try to make all the parts fit in his own world view. Or just a piece of it, same thing.

They had access to a source map that was or wasn't complete and as you said and I would love to find out who made it and when.

merkel.zoneo.net...

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Just to let you know the ( I. Discovery Of Agrippa's 2,000-year-old Orbis Terrarum ) link doesn't work, the others are fine though. Just thought I would let you know. Its the one right under the main title.

Peace
edit on 7-3-2011 by Novatrino because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 11:19 PM
link   
a really great read! i really love maps and history so enjoyed your thread immensly.
well hapgood be praised as knowledge is extended. out with the old in with the new lol.
might find things to complain about on a second read; but sated well now i am.

someone mentioned ice dating and one way for inaccuracy in dating to appear did occur to me.
are ice sheets contigious? or did at some point icebergs get reincorporated into the sheet. with bergs calving and reintegrating you could end up with anamolous dating. anyway something to think about.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Love your post, just totally, what's the word?..scanned it, as in have not read it in detail yet, I have always been intrigued by the pirri riess map and have always passed that on to others, but you! my friend, make it all the more clearer, graham Hancock was my first source for the P R and of course that supposed crazy englishman who wrote the books about Lemuria..Many stars to you and flags too. Contrary to the regular belief that we have only been here for 5,000 years, here is the proof, perhaps a few of us to see the last pole shifts so many years ago.. cheers Voodmon out!

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 01:58 AM
link   
Wow, that was great. I love mysteries.....this read like a mystery to the end. I don't think there's any doubt, he had access to an ancient map. The resemblance is uncanny.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 02:35 AM
link   
WOW! What an incredible thread. I can see you have put a lot of time and thought into this. Nice work!

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 04:09 AM
link   

Firstly this is such a well presented thread ...S+F.
I was reading the page provided and regarding the following statement.....

But locating an undersea continent in the middle of the Atlantic is a bit problematic. Research aided by technological advancements throughout the 20th century has allowed us to chart highly detailed maps of the Atlantic seafloor. What we have found is a pattern of uninterrupted seafloor crustal spreading extending away from a central longitudinal expansion ridge, the Mid-Atlantic Ridge (Fig. 4). There are no excessively large sunken plateaus or evidence of a submerged or subducting continent anywhere in the Atlantic, only a few relatively small plateaus associated with undersea ridges and a few small islands including the Azores that originated from ruptures in the oceanic crust. And in fact there are absolutely no signs of large sunken continents lying beneath any of the world's oceans.

My point being, lets say this continent is where it is portrayed to be by Plato, The Mid Atlantic Ridge, a huge fault line extending from north to south....Here's how I see it, only theory but none the less viable.
Atlantis, a giant sized version of Hawaii perched on top of a giant Volcano also sitting along the Mid Atlantic Ridge, forced up and out of the sea by the constant brushing of the East and West plates.....The day of doom for Atlantis arrives, firstly the Volcano blows and collapses forming a huge Caldera. The sudden release of tension on the Mid Atlantic Ridge causes a sudden subduction plunging the ridge down beneath the waves, East side of the ridge slips under the the western plate or visa versa. Any evidence of Atlantis would have been swept under the carpet "literally".
Just my own theory...a fate that half of the western side of America will face when Old Yellow blows, a lot of it's west coast will simply slip under The Ring Of Fire, not a single trace of it ever existing only the odd survivor that lives out the following extinction event, doodling his map of the world so that it isn't forgotten. Seems then the debate will be.....The Lost Continent Of America fact or fiction.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 04:26 AM
link   
I read the whole thread on my phone, very slowly, during work yesterday. Today, i post a reply, very slowly, during work
This is an awesome first thread Doug, i just hope it spawns the discussion it deserves. This thread threw a lot of light bulbs on in my head, about ice and sea levels. Go google 'applet sea level rise' or something like that. There's a link to this awesome app that you can adjust sea level with, unfortunately it's based solely on existing plates, but i'm sure its good enough. I did some noob research and here's some interesting things; it would take over 5,000 metres of water to cover the earth, including mountains. 500 metres would cover half the land area. If all the ice, everywhere on earth, was to melt it would only account for about 70 metres of sea level rise. On the other hand, during the wisconsinan glaciation (the last ice-age) which lasted from 110,000 - 10,000 years ago, sea levels were a lot lower. Maximum ice extent occured at 21,000 years ago, sea level was 140 metres lower than today. 10,000y ago, 40m lower. 8,000y ago, 20m lower. 6,000y sea level basically jumps and levels out to todays norm. Doug, you should have a gander at australia say 8,000 years ago, it hit me how much it looks like antarctica and how easy it looks to get there by boat.
I'm no expert on anything. You didnt mention much about australia, but i remember reading about a some mix-up in the old world about australia and antarctica. Could it be possible that for his new map he used an old source that was australia and he mistook it for an updated map of antarctica.. Eish, i wish i was on my home pc... I dont have much confidence in my last statement, but i'll put it out there regardless. I'm sure i'll learn something.
Ps. I'll try come back later and put some links in here for backup. Sweet. Thanks again for one exceedingly well forged thread. Peace

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join