It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korea jams South's guided missiles

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   

www.abc.net.au

By North Asia correspondent Mark Willacy

Posted 18 minutes ago

North Korea has used sophisticated jamming equipment to block South Korean military signals and disrupt its guided missiles.

South Korea's Yonhap news agency is reporting that strong jamming signals were transmitted from the communist North last week.

The jamming is believed to have prevented some US and South Korean bombs from hitting their targets during a military drill

It also disrupted South Korean phones and navigational devices reliant on global positioning systems (
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   
I am posting this news because it may have implications regarding any possible future war between the Korea's.
This may have been a test by the North to see if their jamming technology had any effect and according to this report it does but i wonder why news like this is made public as all it does is make the South and the U.S look like they have some work to do and shows up flaws in their guidance systems.You have to wonder what other capabilities and weapons the North have been working on in the dark corner that is the DPRK.

www.abc.net.au
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 6-3-2011 by 12voltz because: of the jamming

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to [url= by 12voltz[/url]

very good post. Makes you wounder what's next are they prepairing for something. I don't think so but you never know.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by 12voltz

Wow. We are always bragging about how our tech is space-aged compared to theirs yet they can still jam us with 1950's equipment?

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

I dont think they are getting out the "space aged" stuff for drills. This is just the normal bits, why would you waste the big bucks on a drill?

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by whoshotJR
reply to post by Cuervo

I dont think they are getting out the "space aged" stuff for drills. This is just the normal bits, why would you waste the big bucks on a drill?

Ah, now that makes more sense to me.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

It says in the report that they are using modified Russian equipment ,here is a longer analysis from another source
From the report
South Korea’s former defence chief Kim Tae-Young said last year a device the North had that was capable of disrupting guided weapons posed “a fresh security threat” to the South
investmentwatchblog.com...
edit on 6-3-2011 by 12voltz because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   
What if the North tried to jam the missles and the US is just saying they succeeded. Nothing like giving your enemies a little missinfo.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by wantsome

Its hard to know or believe anything that comes from either side during the buildup to war.But it does offer an excuse for any rogue missiles landing where they shouldnt.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   
I've said it before, if the US thinks that it's a simple matter of just waltzing in and taking over, it ain't gonna happen. NK has a lot more tricks up their sleeve, hence the continued arrogance. Also, the most important issue I believe is that it is impossible to anticipate the actions of a madman. This is what makes it so dangerous. No way to plan when you are dealing with an unstable mind.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Watch this video it shows how NK became a superpower. Just cause the people of NK are poor does not mean the military is.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   
At this point and time I am not worried about a war between the North and South and this is more of a bluff.
Correct me if I'm wrong but haven't there always been incidents like this one between the Korea's ever since that military treaty was signed?
I think North Korea is using this as in intimidation, like saying "we could attack you anytime we want to; but we just don't feel like doing it right now." I think they have achieved that not from their technology, but from the amount of troops that they have.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cuervo

Originally posted by whoshotJR
reply to post by Cuervo

Ah, now that makes more sense to me.

A "drill" is also a simulation, like sending planes near a boarder to "light up" a nations air defense systems, get the frequencies, signal profiles, or "shadow" a ship during an exercise. You can learn a whole lot with just a drill. Thats one reason countries can often get nervous as a result. Not to mention using "an exercise" as a prelude to a real attack.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Germany has cruise missiles that don't need GPS for guidance. Time for South Korea to use German guidance on their missiles.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to [url= by arbiture[/url]

you know I never thought about that. I've been thinking nothings going to happen but they are still getting ready to attack maybe. Only time wil tell.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Could this have caused our failed Glory Satellite Launch Friday, I wonder?
I'm not actually thinking it's the cause, but had been my first thought that North Korea was involved when I heard it had failed, have no idea why!
Failed Glory Satellite Launch

edit on 3/6/2011 by Givenmay because: correction

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Personally, I don't think NK just developed this, but has had it a long time, probably given or sold to them by the Russians..

The EA6-b prowler (and other planes, ground based jamming), has had that technology for a long time, plus can disrupt power stations and make them fail over any city anywhere, anytime..

During the cold war, NK had tons of help from all those commies we hated, and they always tried to brag about themselves helping each other.. It shouldn't surprise anyone anywhere, that North Korea has jamming equipment that can do this..

The MSM has a history though, of being completely ignorant, and incompetent when it comes to anything pertaining to technology and science, hence we see them here, trying to make this information about NK jamming missiles into some really scary news for the masses..
edit on 10-9-2011 by alienreality because: eta detail

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Pervius

Actually, it was long considered as possible that an attacker would target our exploitation of extremely flexibly “GPS”. Hence it made sense for us to come up with other means. Don’t know if we did, but I would bet good money someone somewhere on the US side has been thinking about this. After all GPS depends on “satellites on site” to work at any one moment. Sure, military space command can in theory, rapidly replace lost satellites taken out by anti-sat weapons we know several nations do now have. But still, it takes time. And when your under attack, time is not on your side. So other then “the obvious, and not so subtle action” as placing dormant sats in orbit so they can be woken up when needed, that alone could be considered provocative. That was a big concern of the 1963 nuclear weapons treaty. Orbiting H-boms we did not and do not need. So what are the options? Yes they exist. Are they being employed? Wish I knew, they don’t tell me much these days...

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by 12voltz

Sounds like they were testing the waters so to speak, also I find it a little unusual for the US and SK to actually openly admit that NK had successfully jammed their weaponry.

Just all sounds a little 'Odd'

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   
The thing is, jamming only works until you know you're being jammed. If you've been disrupted once, you anticipate it and adopt a new strategy. In the case of an all out attack that may be too late, but that's not always the case.

In regards to GPS, precision is a nice thing to have but not absolutely necessary. JDAMS is a nice piece of kit, but good ol' dumb bomb warheads and tail assemblies are still in the arsenal. I'd also suspect things like MLRS can also switch to an unguided ballistic mode as well. Of course that means a lot more collateral damage in an engagement scenario, but if that's what the enemy really wants... (Our guided weapons tend to keep us from using the approaches that worked in WWII and still apparently work for the Russians. Somewhere along the line, western strategists decided a few key things becoming piles of smoking rubble were preferable to something like a whole city being smoking rubble. And this is still talking in terms of conventional weapons.)

In regards to aircraft, knowing that things can be jammed is why we still put jet-jockey meatbags up in the air. Human frailty is the only major limitation on aircraft performance. But the human pilot not requiring an external datalink in order to respond intelligently to changing conditions also has its advantages and is the one core strength which may keep a manned fighter program going. Scrambling the com bands and crapping out chaff and flares isn't going to deter an actual human pilot from still planting that pepper on your butt and pulling the trigger if he sees you.

I'm not sure exactly what the benefit the NKs are trying to get out of this, other than hoping some kind of munition goes stray so they can try blaming us for starting something.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join