It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New volcano fissure opening in Hawaii (Video)

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by InnerTruths

One of my favorite vacations was a stay at the Kilauea Volcano Military Camp inside Volcano National Park back before I retired from the Air Force. One day we hiked through the jungle to see the Pu`u `O`o cone, and of course we took a tour of the caldera. Fantastic vacation!

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by SolarE-Souljah
reply to post by scobro

Supposedly Mauna Kea is the tallest mountain in the world or something like that.

Anyway, yeah Pele does what she wants in regards to the aina and lava.

So Pele is over all volcanos, not just one, huh?

Seems like most movie reference make it sound like just one volcano.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by pianopraze

What I mean by aina and lava...

She makes new land, thus she controls where new land is made. She is also the lava, which makes the new land...

Yes I.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Fantastic video! It is really amazing to see something like this and yet a little frightening. If I was living anywhere near there I would be worried. Thank you for posting.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Amazing! I don't really remember when was the last time i saw something like that.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   
I can't wait to tell everyone at work about this! I've been telling these folks about the March 4th Brown Dwarf barrelling through our solar system. This'll be all the proof I need! MUWHAHAHAHA

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Nice post OP.
Brings back great memories, My wife and I were out that way watching the lava flows
Back in 2002,. She was barking at me cause I was always wondering off the yellow
arrowed paths to get close up shots of the flows,.. very cool.... and well, extremely HOT.
One of our best trips, we did a helicopter tour also,. something I would recommend

Much to see..

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Amazing video - to see this
with the naked eye would create
a mixture of emotions - one of
which would be fright.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   
That was a stunningly beautiful video in my eyes, honestly one of the most amazing things I have seen in years! Thank you for sharing! S&F

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by crazydaisy
Amazing video - to see this
with the naked eye would create
a mixture of emotions - one of
which would be fright.
Really?
Not for me,. I love volcanoes
especially Hawaii,, So much different landscape,.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Thank you so much for the video..I love watching mother earth at her finest! Id love to see something like this and be able to take pictures but its a bit frighting also watching the lava bubbling..

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   
...nice!
My mother is planning a vacation in Hawaii sometime around July, does anyone know if she should reconsider because of this?
I've noticed Hawaii has lots of lil earthquakes everyday it looks, does this always happen or just recently?

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Great information there! Star and Flag!

What "stuck-out" to me were the "over-hanging rim rock-facings," which have fallen into the "lava-pit" for the last few weeks and the fluctuation of the intensity and level of lava production. The new "fissure" is very interesting; and its sudden appearance.

A link to the USGS page for new volcanic activity of Hawaii is posted below, in-case anyone wants to bookmark and read further.

USGS Page About Hawaii's New Volcanic Activity

(hwo.wr.usgs.gov...)

Great article and information!

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Givenmay

Tell her that would make it even more exciting to visit.

No way should she cancel her vacation.

Chance um brah.

This place awakens something within you... I wish more people could experience it.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Does anyone have a link to more pictures/video?

didn't see the post above

hvo.wr.usgs.gov...
edit on 6-3-2011 by Fitch303 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   
I have been there, been up and down crater road and to the end that was a hi-way until the lava piled up over it for good. I walked out onto the lava benches with my dad and others as the lava seeped out and felt the heat go up my shorts as vents were all over the place. It probably wasnt the smart thing to do but they did allow it and rangers were out there with us to make sure people did not get into to much trouble.

You could get cut off from the lava real easy if you were not paying attention and it almost happend to my group if I did not warn the ranger in time as a big one opened up right behind her and that was our only way out.

Who ever made this video had balls of steel because one drop of that lava would eat right through a suit and the ground is basically floating on hot lava or hollow vent tubes formed quickly.

Seeing all that when I was out there made it all worth it. The volcano is so gradual and spread out you cant judge its size till you go to the park and walk over to this edge with rails and old viewing cams. The crater is massive.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Sky watcher

I've went and viewed the lava as well. Quite an experience to say the least.

When I went to the lava flow a several years back before they got more strict, I was able to get really close to the lava and yeah, you are definitely putting your life on the line by venturing out there.

There was a point where I was on walking on fresh lava rock, and I could see lava underneath through a crack. Yeah, it was really intense.

Absolutely worth it though. But severely dangerous.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Today's images (1 every 10 minutes). Captures the start of the draining of the lava at 02:00 UTC yesterday.

2 options
Hawaii_0001.wmv This is a low quality version - smallest I can make it for dial-ups. Even so it is 4 Mb

Hawaii_Lava1.7z This is an animated gif and unpacked is 92MB. This file is 7 zipped and weighs in at 24.3MB.

You may need 7zip to unpack it. But then you need 7zip anyway as it is brilliant, efficient and free. Get it here. Warning: Use this link. Do not type in 7zip of you will end up on a malware site probably. The official site is 7-zip.org and NOT 7zip.com

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 01:53 AM
link   
Another video of the eruption.. quite impressive.

www.bbc.co.uk...

Nature.. the only force more scary than man.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 02:30 AM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

Hi mate, the links for 4-shared aren't working.. had a bit of that lately. And YES.. 7zip is an excellent bit of software.. I use it for every uploaded file I make.

Back to the advertised topic......

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join