It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You Call This An Economic Recovery? 44 Million Americans On Food Stamps and 10 Other Reasons Why The

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 01:44 AM
link   

When Barack Obama, the Federal Reserve and the mainstream media tell us that we are in the middle of an economic recovery, is that supposed to be some kind of sick joke? According to newly released numbers, over 44 million Americans are now on food stamps.

That is a new all-time record and that number is 13.1% higher than it was just one year ago. So how many Americans have to go on food stamps before we can all finally agree that the U.S. economy is dying? 50 million? 60 million? All of us? The food stamp program is the modern equivalent of the old bread lines.

More than one out of every seven Americans now depends on the federal government for food. Oh, but haven't you heard? The economy is showing dramatic improvement. Corporate profits are up. The stock market is soaring. Happy days are here again.

Source: theeconomiccollapseblog.com... conomy-is-simply-not-getting-better

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 01:48 AM
link   
So don't believe anything, let alone everything you hear on the corporate elite controlled MSM, that economic recovery is on its way, with the Fed announcing QE3, i.e. infusion of more paper currency into the money supply, further devaluing it.

Credit and assets are being monopolized by the central bank, while the shrinking middle class and expanding working class are overly dependent on government food stamps.

Falling home sales can also explain why this economic recovery is a facade. The subprime mortgage crisis starting from '07 rings home, as foreclosures exceeded sales.

This is no economic recovery, ladies and gentlemen. This is economic destruction by design.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 02:42 AM
link   
I am one of the many that rely on food stamps. When one is laid off and five years goes by (despite applying to over 35,000 jobs), money runs out and one might find oneself homeless (I did) and then falling into the (not so gentle and caring) hands of the System.

And I know many very good people who have had hard luck and are also scrabbling for the dregs. We stand in line at the charity pantries to get the food that would be thrown out tomorrow as spoiled - because food stamps is NEVER enough to cover the food.

We are struggling. And I want to end a system that places so few at the "top" and so many (more and more each day) at the bottom. Please take a look at my ideas to do this linked in my sig. End entropy, and join the Ethical Planetarian Party.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 03:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Amaterasu

35, 000 jobs, that seems like a bold statement. It also sounds statistically impossible, unless you have a terrible resume.

Did you try applying to the integrity research institute?

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   
The 1% (elite) make more money yearly than the bottom 50%(poor) combined. Until that changes the world will be corrupt. We need a revolution and now
edit on 6-3-2011 by XRaDiiX because: (no reason given)

+16 more 
posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by boncho

35, 000 jobs, that seems like a bold statement. It also sounds statistically impossible, unless you have a terrible resume.

This is the problem right now....no one believes it could possibly be that bad.

"Statistically impossible"?? She said shes been laid off for 5 years, thats 5000 jobs a year, or less tan 100 a week. Its not hard to apply for a 100 jobs a week.

And then you took it a step further, and insulted her by saying "unless you have a terrible resume". How #ing ignorant of you, bro. Its terrible out there right now, but obviously you wouldnt know.....despite that (back on topic) more Americans are on food stamps than ever before.

Its people like you that make it worse, not bettter.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   
The US Corporate Government is a Ponzi scheme. Ponzi schemes are unsustainable. It's time to throw these corporate crooks to the curb and take our &^%$#@& country back!!!

I was just reading an article describing how the biggest corporations are avoiding paying taxes. This has got to stop! NOW! How can BofA pay their top people millions and millions of $$$$ and not pay taxes? IT IS INSANITY!

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   
That's 14% of the US population on food stamps.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amaterasu
...When one is laid off and five years goes by (despite applying to over 35,000 jobs), money runs out and one might find oneself homeless (I did) and then falling into the (not so gentle and caring) hands of the System..

35,000 jobs applied for in five years is an average of applying for 19.1 jobs a day.

I refute this claim.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Snide comments are not likely to endear you to anyone, love.

Lessee... I applied to about 25-35 jobs a day on the internet... Five years (365 days) = 1825, 1825 x 25 (being conservative) = 45,625... Some days I did not make applications - but I also applied in person to about a job a week average...more at first, but fewer as I exhausted the options locally. I think "over 35,000 jobs" is a VERY conservative estimate.

And frankly, at one time I worked for the Employment Development Department (was laid off THAT job, too - budget cuts) assisting people in constructing their resumes, amongst other things. I have a clue how to create a good resume.

A great number of jobs I applied to were not local - that was a great disadvantage, and I am older now competing with 20- and 30-somethings, and that is a HUGE disadvantage. Your insinuation that the problem exists with ME is rather rude, dude.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by XRaDiiX
The 1% (elite) make more money yearly than the bottom 50%(poor) combined. Until that changes the world will be corrupt. We need a revolution and now

I offer a peaceful revolution in my work - please see The End of Entropy and the Ethical Planetarin Party links in my sig.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
The only revolution we need is a fairly simple one:

Cap wealth at $1 billion and one.

There is absolutel NO legitimate, moral, ethical, or economic reason to allow unlimited wealth. Capping wealth at that level would effect less than a thousand people worldwide, 937 as of last year.

www.forbes.com... -Worlds-Billionaires_Rank.html

To those horrified at taking what someone has "earned", tough. I dispute they've earned it all fairly, legally and ethically. In any case, they have no rational need for it, and they have consistently abused the power it has given them, constantly creating conflict on a global scale for their own amusement and competitions.

Enough.

Cap wealth and most of our problems go away.

Allow the billionaires to compete in a new way by giving them four years to give away their excess wealth.

Tell them that if they want more, the cap is per planet, so feel free to go develop another fortune on the Moon or Mars.
edit on 6-3-2011 by apacheman because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-3-2011 by apacheman because: don't know why it's all bolded..removed all format tags..preview looks normal

edit on 6-3-2011 by apacheman because: maybe the universe is adding the emphasis? lol

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by apacheman

That's actually a pretty decent idea. Why would anyone need more than $1 billion to support themselves and their families anyways? Even that amount is absurd for one person unless they are addicted to the power that such wealth would allow. Anything in excess of $1 billion could be put back into the economy and allow people to have actual opportunities again.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by DragonTattooz
The US Corporate Government is a Ponzi scheme. Ponzi schemes are unsustainable. It's time to throw these corporate crooks to the curb and take our &^%$#@& country back!!!

I was just reading an article describing how the biggest corporations are avoiding paying taxes. This has got to stop! NOW! How can BofA pay their top people millions and millions of $$$$ and not pay taxes? IT IS INSANITY!

caveat: I am not a tax accountant nor do I play one on t.v.)
Does any of that make sense to you?Of course not; but you will hear it repeated by wukky and the other hardcore liberals .
If BoA or any other corporation pays its ceos:"millions and billions of dollars and per diem tooo(?) they will pay taxes on it as "personal income".Not nearly as much as the libs think they should but it IS taxed. if the corporation itself shelters its earnings ( "profits" come after payroll is made i believe) 100% ( and I don't know if its even possible) it stands to reason the more they pay their execs and workers the more of that organizations profits are taxed as personal income...(?) I Could be "ig'nant", been called that in the past...
edit on 6-3-2011 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   

I refute this claim.
20 jobs a day? You call her a liar for hitting various websites and copying and pasting her resume 20 times/day? You imagine that to be too much work? Really? That would actually take only an hour or maybe 2 per day. She obviously has the time. I refute your refutation.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by apacheman

There is absolutel NO legitimate, moral, ethical, or economic reason to allow unlimited wealth. Capping wealth at that level would effect less than a thousand people worldwide, 937 as of last year.

To those horrified at taking what someone has "earned", tough. I dispute they've earned it all fairly, legally and ethically. In any case, they have no rational need for it, and they have consistently abused the power it has given them, constantly creating conflict on a global scale for their own amusement and competitions.

Enough.

Allow the billionaires to compete in a new way by giving them four years to give away their excess wealth.

Tell them that if they want more, the cap is per planet, so feel free to go develop another fortune on the Moon or Mars.

No, that is not the path. Who would get to distribute the additional wealth if the billionaires fail? Might we expect corruption in the ranks who get to do that? The answer is to get rid of the need for money. Again, I offer a way to do that linked in my sig.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   

To those horrified at taking what someone has "earned", tough. I dispute they've earned it all fairly, legally and ethically. In any case, they have no rational need for it,

"Horrified"? No; I just; "dispute" your moral authority; real or imagined to decide whats "enough" for anybody else. Nobody asked you. I have made a major downshift by choice years ago . I know what is "enough " for us; I would not ask you to live under my determinations even though because we have been living well within our means or years; we have comparatively little debt.

and they have consistently abused the power it has given them, constantly creating conflict on a global scale for their own amusement and competitions.

Enough.

edit on 6-3-211 by apacheman because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-3-2011 by apacheman because: don't know why it's all bolded..removed all format tags..preview looks normal

edit on 6-3-2011 by apacheman because: maybe the universe is adding the emphasis? lol

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by XxXAmmoXxX
reply to post by apacheman

That's actually a pretty decent idea. Why would anyone need more than $1 billion to support themselves and their families anyways? Even that amount is absurd for one person unless they are addicted to the power that such wealth would allow. Anything in excess of $1 billion could be put back into the economy and allow people to have actual opportunities again.

That would depend on inflation. If we go into hyperinflation (and we will - they have been creating money willy-nilly recently), that billion today may be worth $100,000 in the near future. So capping it at a specific sum is not effective. And many people have money in corporations - they have access to the funds, paying themselves a modest "salary," while their real wealth is tucked safely in the corporate structure. How will we deal with corporations?

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by 46ACE

Originally posted by DragonTattooz

caveat: I am not a tax accountant nor do I play one on t.v.)
Does any of that make sense to you?Of course not; but you will hear it repeated by wukky and the other hardcore liberals .
If BoA or any other corporation pays its ceos:"millions and billions of dollars and per diem tooo(?) they will pay taxes on it as "personal income".Not nearly as much as the libs think they should but it IS taxed. if the corporation itself shelters its earnings ( "profits" come after payroll is made i believe) 100% ( and I don't know if its even possible) it stands to reason the more they pay their execs and workers the more of that organizations profits are taxed as personal income...(?) I Could be "ig'nant", been called that in the past...

Are you saying that it is OK for corporations to not pay taxes because the employees pay taxes? And that they should actually pay executives more because, in essence, that lowers the profit margin of the corporation, while making the, already over-paid executive, even richer? And it would be justified because now the executive will pay a few dollars more in taxes? Please tell me that I misunderstood, becasue if that is your argument, well, I just don't know how to respond, except to say that I would support making all corporations non-profit and give all the employees the extra money, not just the executives. I would also cap CEO pay at a percentage of the lowest paid worker. Maybe 5x more would be fair? After all, an executive does not make a product, the person on the workshop floor makes it happen. Without the grunt, the CEO gets to be the grunt, and loses a ton of productivity when he has to run the whole show himself. That is the biggest problem with corporate culture- managers think they are better than, and contribute more, than the person who actually makes the product that makes them all rich.

And what does a per diem have to do with the price of corn in Iowa?

And, to add to the case for your ignorance, "Liberalism" means wanting to change the status quo. "Conservatism" is wanting to keep things as they are. So, yes, I am liberal. I would be ashamed to associate myself with the status quo.
edit on 6-3-2011 by DragonTattooz because: anuthur speeling erer

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amaterasu

Snide comments are not likely to endear you to anyone, love.

Lessee... I applied to about 25-35 jobs a day on the internet... Five years (365 days) = 1825, 1825 x 25 (being conservative) = 45,625... Some days I did not make applications - but I also applied in person to about a job a week average...more at first, but fewer as I exhausted the options locally. I think "over 35,000 jobs" is a VERY conservative estimate.

And frankly, at one time I worked for the Employment Development Department (was laid off THAT job, too - budget cuts) assisting people in constructing their resumes, amongst other things. I have a clue how to create a good resume.

A great number of jobs I applied to were not local - that was a great disadvantage, and I am older now competing with 20- and 30-somethings, and that is a HUGE disadvantage. Your insinuation that the problem exists with ME is rather rude, dude.

You must understand that the average joe who believes everything the five o'clock news say about the economy and is still working often can't wrap their heads around others struggling to find jobs much less so many needing food stamps. I try not to get angry with these people who make as if others are not trying hard enough to find work or are lazy and want the government to feed them. There's a family member whose face goes blank whenever the topic of governmental collapse is discussed. All he can think about is he and his wife has been with their perspective companies for many years and are still able to enjoy a "middle-class" lifestyle. Bless his heart he actually think what's happening is just temporary and is getting better so I don't argue with him I just let him think what he may.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join