It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Feds: Ex-judge should go to prison for 15 days for drug crimes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 01:39 AM
link   
Article

ATLANTA – Federal prosecutors say a former federal judge who pleaded guilty to two drug-related charges involving a stripper should serve at least 15 days in prison.

Prosecutors asked for the punishment for former veteran judge Jack Camp. They said in court documents Friday that prison time will reflect the seriousness of the offense.

Camp resigned in disgrace from U.S. District Court in November when he pleaded guilty to a felony drug charge and two misdemeanors.

The 67-year-old says his decades-long battle with depression and a bicycling accident that caused brain damage led him to use drugs and start seeing a stripper.

First, Im not sure if the "15 days" is a typo. Maybe they meant 15 months or 15 years.

But, if they really do mean 15 days.......Well I dont have any words. I mean I dont know what to say to this. I can just shake my head.

Is it even possible for a regular citizen to serve only "15 days"? Isnt prison time a minimum of 6 months? Atleast here in Texas it is.
edit on 6-3-2011 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 01:58 AM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

How about 0 days

Prostitution nor drugs should be illegal in a free society.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 02:17 AM
link   
He should serve one month for every other person he's sent to prison for drug charges.
Hypocrite.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 02:20 AM
link   

Lol.

Prosecuting Attorneys are tools.

The fact that anyone can be arrested/imprisoned/fined for using drugs or buying prostitutes proves that we are NOT a "free Country."

Cops are even bigger tools for believing that they are making a difference arresting drug users.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 02:32 AM
link   
I would personally be very interested in seeing how he judge other first offenders.

From what I have learned after doing a bit of research is that most felony drug charges in the state of Georgia are classified as Schedule I or Schedule II offenses. The penalties for these offenses range. No less than 2 years and no more than 15 years. For first time offenders there can be deferred adjudication which allows a judge to suspend prison time and instead give probation including rehab and medical treatment up to a period of 3 years. If this probation is completed successfully all charges are then dismissed.

It is my feeling that people in the public trust should be sentenced to the fullest extent of the law. As public officials they are supposed to set something of an example. In this case we are talking about a long time judge who spent his life judging others for the same offenses he now finds himself pleading guilty to. That being said, I completely disagree with US drug laws. So with that in mind I think it is only fair that this judge is sentenced more in accordance with how he himself judged other first time offenders. That is only fair is it not?

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 03:44 AM
link   

Now here is a real conspiracy. Thank god, after some of the threads I've been reading lately.

Damn shame, hope he sees some of the people he sentenced while he is gone, but that isn't likely, especially because he will only be there for two weeks.

That's a big facepalm for any parent who had their kid sentenced by him for the same crime.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 03:58 AM
link   
I'm sure he will be given a 6 months or 1 year suspended sentence since it is his first felony. Even though his sentence is suspended it looks like they will still make him serve 15 days in jail.

He will probably be on probation for a while.

Its only sex and drugs people. The same thing everyone else does on this planet.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   
I agree that nobody should be criminalized just because of drugs and/or prostitution.

But it really gets on my nerve when they send regular citizens to prison for years and years for drugs/prostitution, and then they give this guy only 15 days. Why is this judge so special? I thought the law was supposed to apply to everyone equally (even though I dont agree with the law alot).

new topics

top topics

join