It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is there God?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 05:03 AM
link   
reply to post by SunTzu22

Mate, go back through the posts.

Did i ever mention anywhere that i am a christian?

It is not my job to convert people into any believe system. It us up to the individual to decide for themselves.

And that is how they will discover their faith, or indeed their lack thereoff.

But it is also not my job to slack off peoples believe, therefor i do not do it. Maybe you should consider it too.

vvv

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 05:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by alysha.angel

Originally posted by SunTzu22
reply to post by alysha.angel

why is it so hard for you christians to eat of your own fruit?

those verses are the word of your "Lord".

Your class clearly didn't have para-professionalls to assist your limited learning ability

I am not christian, catholic or any of those kind of religions . whatever gave you that impression about me ? ha my limited learning ability? i think not ... my knowlage about the bible may be limited but that does not make me retarded .....

i know a lot about a lot of different subjects thanks to my mother and how i was raised as well as what type of books that iv read over the years ....

other then the bible when was the last time you read a non fiction book? or a novel based on history?

Anyone arrogant enough to reject the verdict of the judge or of the priest who represents the LORD your God must be put to death. Such evil must be purged from Israel. (Deuteronomy 17:12 NLT)

I wish it was fiction buddy.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 05:08 AM
link   
reply to post by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

Then what do you believe? Why would you read your bible? For fun?

I read it so that I may more easily educate those that have bags on their heads.

If I see someone about to walk into traffic, I save them.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 05:10 AM
link   
LOL!

Fight standing 1 = 3.

This is really funny and for those who believe that "god" exists (according to "holy texts") I urge you all to think again. Do you honestly believe in a God of being? Well for me I do not believe in a God of being, I tend to gravitate towards God of becoming.

And SunTzu22 friend your links aren't working. You shouldn't put www in the front.

Armageddon Conspiracy
edit on 6-3-2011 by Lateralussicksicksick because: mis-spelling

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 05:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by alysha.angel

then you must want the planet to blow up and kill off all life on it . because i believe that GOD is the planet her self and that god i garentee you is stronger then any other god known to man ... are you though attacting me ?
edit on 6/3/11 by alysha.angel because: (no reason given)

edit on 6/3/11 by alysha.angel because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 05:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Lateralussicksicksick

Thanks for the save buddy, my links have been malfunctioning as of late. Ill try the www next time

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 05:19 AM
link   

If that is your belief, then you and I are not so different. I do not believe in an all powerful old man that will strike you dead for your sins.

Believing the Earth is God is very close to what I was saying in the first place.

As for attacks to yourself, I was caught in my Jehovah hating frenzy, for that I truly am sorry. I just want people to know what is held within the book that they swear oaths upon.

Never do I hate the player, just the game.

Again, applogeez. I really get fired up towards Christs little G-Men that I find on this site so often. You clearly are not one of them.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 06:09 AM
link   

Because the slaving of his people had come to an end , and the current establishment wished it not to be , are you talking about the curse of Egypt ? The curse in the time of Moses ?

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 06:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Lateralussicksicksick

There is no becoming. Becoming is impossible.
Being is. To be or not to be?
To become; future is needed.
Future and past are only thoughts.
Only this now, present moment exists and all appearances appear presently.

God is being.
Being is god.

edit on 6-3-2011 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Until all seeking ceases God will not be known.
God is here and now always.
How can now and here be found?
All seeking will be somewhere else.
God can not be somewhere else.
Somewhere else is an illusion.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 06:19 AM
link   

Nice to meet you . I have read about The Healer , The man of Love , The Teacher Son of God .called Jesus Christ .
I guess the only way to show you is im gonna flag and star some of your threads , cause having lots of stars and flags is cool , and helps people relax on this site
, this is something i learned in the bible , i learned that was a good thing ,to give without asking back something in return , mayby you wouldnt care if i do or dont , but according to the bible ,it pleases god .

I read alot

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 06:22 AM
link   
reply to post by amazing

2. If there isn't God, then for what purpose is life? Why live? Who really cares? What's the point?

Well, what purpose do you want for your life? You can choose your purpose, you can choose what your life is meant to be. It is a bit of an existential crisis, but it's one we can work out for ourselves.

Why live? You get one life, that's why. Without a deity that means your life is all the more miraculous (metaphorically speaking, of course). You have a great gift, you should go with it.

You should care. You may also have some friends or family that care. You know what? I care. You're a human like me. Go, live your life.

The point is that you have a life, you have boundless potential for it. It can go anywhere you want it to. Go live it.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 06:31 AM
link   

Job Done , Dropped a few Stars and Flags on your latests Threads , and a few comments , so ill be off now , without a thought of recompense , cuz anyone who reads the bible knows to be good to others ,in every theater of conversation . be safe .dont be too hard on us bro

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 06:34 AM
link   
There is certainly no objective evidence that any deity exists. You get through life with purpose in spite of this inconvenient fact. The process of trying to square the circle that comes with deity belief only breeds unhealthy mental states.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 06:53 AM
link   
The atheist in my says that we are probably some random accident, or maybe we where genetically engineered by aliens or something and they left a long time ago.

However, the believer in me says that we are all part of either some kind of divine plan or we are here for a reason. What that reason is can be anybodies guess.

Who knows, maybe when we die we wake up inside a computer world or something. The more you stray from atheism the stranger the answers may seem.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 07:25 AM
link   
reply to post by amazing

what great questions! here are my contributions to the dialogue:

1. Personally i agree with you, there must be a God. the existence of an ordered universe governed by rules pretty much indicates intelligence and planning. to believe that this complex universe "just happened" is even more ludicrous than the idea of an elderly man with a white beard floating through space! who/what this God might be, now that's the real question....

2. such a big question. i don't think any human can possibly answer this for anyone else. is mere "existence" itself reason enough? see 1.

3. i don't think God is any religion. i believe religion is a human response to something outside of the human experience. should it be any surprise that human beings would want to organize, regulate, monitor? we seem to always want to do those things....

4. i think the real question is "would God write something where all the answers are laid out in black and white, so we never have to take risks, fail, or grow through our experiences?" if that were the case, if the bible were a simple guide to every circumstance in life that could apply to everybody all the time, what would the point to life be? it makes more sense that God would inspire a book (written by humans, containing human errors) that would have much more general lessons to provoke thought and inspire insight.

5. i feel much the same way about Christianity as i do about the bible. since churches are actually run by human beings (whether inspired by God or not), it totally makes sense that human failings (greed, jealousy, the will to power) would find their way in. again, i don't think God ever intended for our human lives to be perfect. i think God wants us to work things out for ourselves, so our souls can evolve (into what, i couldn't tell you). consequently, i don't think Christianity is supposed to be perfect, either.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by feanor411
the existence of an ordered universe governed by rules pretty much indicates intelligence and planning.

Firstly, no it doesn't. Secondly, it's arguable whether the universe is "ordered" and there are no "rules" that govern things. The illusion of order resulting from matter and energy adhering to the laws of physics in no way indicates intelligence or planning.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by amazing
2. If there isn't God, then for what purpose is life? Why live? Who really cares? What's the point?

Why should we live for god? Why live like we are just some pawns in gods game?

Our purpose to live is to create a better society and to better ourselves and to evolve at such a point that we will someday be considered as gods to other civilizations. But this is contradicted by the bible which tells us to believe and not to search for answers.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   

So the reason for this thread is just to ask some questions I've had and offer some of my thoughts.

1. Is there God? Is there a God? I've always, just believed that there was, that there has to be.
3. If there is God, then what of religion? Is one correct over the others?
4. Yes, I've read the bible-pretty much every word at one time or another. I'm not convinced that it's right. It's all over the place and hard to read and comprehend. Would God make a book that hard to read and understand?
5. What of Christianity?

My questions will generally be answered by either athiests or Christians and then the thread will devolve into chaos but...maybe not.

I need to hear some thoughtful answers if possible. Perhaps as I get older and think of my own mortality these questions arise more often. Perhaps I'm depressed or have just lost my mojo for a little while? Maybe it's early onset of midlife crisis?

1. Maybe
2. The nitty-gritty: Man's bottom line purpose here on earth is to procreate - pass on his DNA to keep the species going

3. Any religion is the correct one - religion is a man made institution created in pre-historic days to rationalize fear of the unknown and uncertainty what happened to him after he died

4. The Bible was also written by man, not "God"

5. Chritianity is no more correct than Bhuddism, Islam, etc. It's just a category of which diety to follow, depending on which religion you follow.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   

So the reason for this thread is just to ask some questions I've had and offer some of my thoughts.

1. Is there God? Is there a God? I've always, just believed that there was, that there has to be.
3. If there is God, then what of religion? Is one correct over the others?
4. Yes, I've read the bible-pretty much every word at one time or another. I'm not convinced that it's right. It's all over the place and hard to read and comprehend. Would God make a book that hard to read and understand?
5. What of Christianity?

Ok im gonna do my best with this one but i would assume people will jump over me pretty quick

1. Why does there have to be? really why, you know that no one has the answer to that and anyone that says they have proof is lying, most religions have got around this one by using the old "have faith" crap. and without faith you are nothing... that is all rubbish.. a friend of mine who is a devout christian and always trying to sway me says that even if you live your life as best as you can, do no wrong and spend your life helping people but do not acknowledge god, then when you see god when you die then he will not know you because of your lack of faith... herees my question on that ,, If god is good and full of love and man is corrupt and we even know that the base of operations for christianity the vatican is corrupt, then why would god not want us just because we refuse to believe known liars... and if god is infinite and everything etc then how can a being like that be petty enough to be ruled by such emotions.

2. When people say to me whats the meaning of life, not that i get asked this question a lot . I respond with the meaning of life is TO LIVE. What else can you do? No one will get an answer to the god question in this life so why worry about it. And what if there is no reason? Can you live with that? Most people cant , and i totally understand why. Its horrible to think that nothing you do matters .

3. Religion is the result of the first man who came out of his cave mudhut whatever looked up to the stars and thought why, it is the result of human intelligence getting to the point where we used more than our primative brain, do you think that a lion shark dog or cat sits up thinking why am i here? maybe they do but for the most part science has shown us that humans reason and think more than pretty much every animal on the planet hence we think about things like this and therefore need an answer,, we obviously looked to someone for this answer and whoever was in the alpha position at the time said i know why were here.. I hate this phrase because people use it to slap religion without really explaining it but i think i have so here you go ,,,,"religion is simply a tool for controlling the masses"

4. If god did make the book then why would he allow so many changes to be made by man. Why would god make a book? If god is in all of us then and god made all of us then why are the rules he laid out not genetically written into all of us already? And best of all why would god only decide to write the book a few thousand years ago, and why was there religions in ancient egypt sumaria and greece? what were they early drafts or what? Did someone else write them? why do we have so many books for so many diffirent religions is there more than one god and do they compete like rival authors or something?

5. What of christianity? what do you want to know? take from it what you need but overall theres not much to say on that...

In conclusion i say that the definition on "GOD" is that he is infinite... I really want to believe in something but after my own experience and research that ive done myself i cannot side with anyones religious beliefs. To me God is the collective conciousness of every atomic molecule thats in existence, and that is infinite and does not get emotional about how or if you live your life or not or care if you pray or go to church. I think that there is more to existance than we are aware and that as life goes on you grow as a person as does your mind maybe the answer lies in meditation and maybe one day someone will know more but then again maybe not.. But whatever happens if you ever find yourself struggling with your faith then think about this.

Every day you get into situations large and small you get faced with choices it may be to save a life or take a life, it may be to help someone else or help yourself or it may be coke or pepsi. These are daily tests that we all face and deep down everyone knows the right thing to do in all situations but sometimes the right choice isnt always easy. If you can make the right choice as much as you can then you will be fine. But no one gives you that strength you have to give it to yourself....

Good luck all

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join