It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A hump-backed hoax: Was the 'monster' spotted gliding through Lake Windermere no more than an old

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   

The mysterious form moving through the water appeared the most tantalising proof yet of the creature dubbed the English Loch Ness Monster. Displaying four humps, it was described as being the ‘size of three cars’ by two witnesses kayaking on Lake Windermere in Cumbria. They said it moved at about 15mph before disappearing beneath the water after about 20 seconds.

The photo, taken by Tom Pickles, 24, on a mobile three weeks ago, appeared in newspapers and became an internet sensation. It seemed to confirm eight other sightings of the ‘Bowness Monster’, named after a town on Windermere’s banks. But last week a family found something by the lake which casts suspicions on the existence of the beast – a large tyre cut open which when floating on water looks rather like the four-humped creature.

DailyMail - Source

So...nothing more than an old split tyre?

Here's a link to the original story: Bownessie, Lake Windermere's Monster, new photo. Awesome

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   
lol thats the first thing I thought when i saw it was and old tire. Pretty obvious.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Why anyone would think that is anything OTHER than an old tire is beyond me. Pretty obvious.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Can someone post both pics together so we can compare them? The original and the cut up tyre?
Cheers!

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 01:05 AM
link   
too bad i didnt hear about this before you told me it was a hoax,or you could have been the hero to me that you try to be.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Humm. A well-placed piece of "evidence" we can say for sure.

Now, tell me how it can pass up a kayak?

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by miracleretiree
too bad i didnt hear about this before you told me it was a hoax,or you could have been the hero to me that you try to be.

I'm not trying to be a hero. That's silly.

I'm just sharing news.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Both images together, and yes surprise surprise it does look like this is solved, S&F for you

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/346c7165dcf9.jpeg[/atsimg]
edit on 6-3-2011 by Versa because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Versa

Wouldn't be too difficult to tie a piece of fishing line to this tyre and haul it acroos the lake.

Not 100% proof of a hoax, but more proof than there was that it wasn't.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Freakin Hoaxers!! Def a tire though, i thought so just by looking at the original photo! those loch ness monster type story's dont really do it for me....

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Versa
Both images together, and yes surprise surprise it does look like this is solved, S&F for you

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/346c7165dcf9.jpeg[/atsimg]

Here's a question..
In the photo of the supposed creature it appears to be moving. Now, has anyone checked to see if the tire has holes at either end to see if there were ropes attached for towing it along the water?

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Would it really need holes?
You could just as easily tie the rope/string around the tyre and pull if needs be.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   
What the hell is a tyre?

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by macman
What the hell is a tyre?

Tyre is Tire to non Americans/Canadians.

A tire (in American English and Canadian English) or tyre (in British English, New Zealand English, Australian English and others) source

I'm pretty sure you could of worked that one out all on your own

we're not all American

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Versa

It was more tongue in cheek then anything.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Versa

The discussion has gotten a bit derailed. Since we now have the excellent joining of the two images, it is plain to see that there is no similarities in the two sets of humps except the number of four. The tire is perfectly curved as you would expect. The humps in the water are not. there is a slight, sharper upper prominance in each of them. And they show a progressive increase in size from the front to the back with the rear one being the more noticeable.

Finally, the wake of the animal is greater than the wake of a kayak (being a kayaker myself). What was it's estimated speed? Fifteen mph? If my memory serves me correctly there, that is a pretty damned fast velocity in water, far faster than a kayak can attain. So if it is a string, somebody must have it attached to a vehicle of some sort, they couldn't run on shore and pull such a contraption that fast. And surely, the thing would not remain stable at such a speed or the line remain underwater.

So that is my best shot.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   
It WAS an interesting topic, but putting the word "Hoax" into the threads title was a big mistake.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   
No need to look here people,
It's only an old car TYRE.
Move along.
Theres nothing to see, except a car tyre.
My cousin would like the shot as he loves Cars and everything about them, Including Tyres.
PS. A song comes to mind."The wheels on the bus go round and round".

PSS. And since the camera man was so close to the rubbish they should of removed the litter from the waterway.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   
i liked it better when i thought it was not a tire.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 02:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lawgiver
i liked it better when i thought it was not a tire.

you got a star from me because that made me laugh

top topics

<<   2 >>

join