It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Food prices hit highs as oil rises

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Food prices hit highs as oil rises

www.news.com.au

The Food Price Index, which monitors average monthly price changes for a variety of key staples, rose to 236 points in February from 231 points in January, the UN's Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) said.

It was the highest level since FAO began monitoring prices in 1990.

"Unexpected oil price spikes could further exacerbate an already precarious situation in food markets," David Hallam, director of the Rome-based FAO's trade and market division, said.

"This adds even more uncertainty concerning the price outlook just as plantings for crops in some of the major growing regi
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   
I actually feel, (and I'm sure I will get raked over the coals for this, lol) that THIS is an actual conspiracy in and of itself.

My intuition leads me to believe that the global food prices and "scarcity" are ANOTHER orchestrated event in many cases, and that there are certain groups who are using food as a weapon of control against the masses.

I am also CERTAIN that the often violent roller-coastering of OIL prices is a GIGANTIC scam, which is CONSTANTLY being instigated by SPECULATORS, who I also feel are fueling this FOOD HIKE scam, by CONTROLLING large amounts of the food supply as a COMMODITY.

This crap needs to be investigated in the worst way, and the people continually (and escalatingly) doing this type of stuff should be put out of business and /or prosecuted for this nonsense, as it is literally creating mass suffering and death, just so these greed-mongers can turn a profit!

Also, I have a strangely eery feeling that the GMO mega-corps have a heavy hand in these manipulations as well...

www.news.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Water
Food
Shelter

at one point in history we had all these things and had the means to aquire these without any outside interference,each person could survive themselve's and even to the degree that the 3rd world could feed itself back then and now, i just dont know anymore.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by KDM_Souljah

We have always had outside interference.

Governments were created by communities to safeguard, manage and protect those three things from other communities.

Warfare was born out of the necessity to take or defend those resources.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

do you think the big monopolising superstore chains will still offer low prices while the local stores will find it even harder to keep up. this seems like it could be the end for many small businesses who have struggled to stay afloat because of the competition from these big stores continuing growth.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
I don't believe oil prices are a big of a scam and conspiracy as everyone makes it out to be.

Yeah sure I get that they are manipulated of course... But when a crisis occurs in or around an oil producing country, even Libya with a 2% contribution to world oil then the price is going to spike.

It's because oil supply is so tight right now. It's to do with Peak Oil, that phrase governments don't want to admit to and that phrase so many tin foil hat wearers are led to believe is a sham and they love to believe it too!

Peak Oil isn't a sham, it is a very real crisis that we are now facing. That is why a little turmoil (it's actually a lot) in libya has made the oil spike.

Big oil countries/companies and OPEC only benefit from high oil prices to a point, depending on how strong the global economy is at that point, the threshold could be 100 dollars at the most. As oil prices get higher countries stop buying it and economies shut down... This is what happened in 2008 with $147 a barrel oil...

Demand is destroyed. So Big Oil loses profit... They are hurt by high oil prices along with everyone else once it crosses that threshold of too expensive.

As for food prices... Well they will inevitably inflate as a result as well. Everything is made from oil, transported by oil, grown with oil, packaged in oil (plastic)... Globalization is failing and I really don't believe there to be some huge evil dark sinister NWO plan behind it all...

The global economy which is structured on an infinite growth system is colliding with the steel wall of finite energy and resources.... Sh*t is spiking through the roof as people revolt against degrading standards of living, oil is spiking, food is spiking, economic growth will cease (there never was any growth it was always doomed) and we are now finding ourselves in the midst of it.

TPTB are just humans too, they put their pants on one leg at a time and they are most definitely losing control as the world collapses.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
here is another article detailing some of the price increase percentages with the staple foods.

Things to Watch:

Consumers have seen the effects of price hikes on individual products, and many American companies have indicated higher prices lie ahead. Grocery stores from Winn-Dixie to SuperValu have already confirmed such expectations. We can anticipate higher prices for staples, such as sugar, butter, oats and oranges, as well as foods that contain these items and the commodities previously identified. (The futures markets can seem daunting, but these explanations and strategies will help you trade like a pro. Check out Tips For Getting Into Futures Trading.)

The rising trend in oil prices is also concerning, since it directly impacts the cost of planting and harvesting. Beyond that, transportation costs from the farm to distribution centers and retailers will add more fuel to cost escalation. The monetary policies of both the E.U. and U.S. are likely to cause more inflation as debt levels continue to rise on both sides of the Atlantic.

Corn shot up 69% last year, as production in the U.S. dropped 4.9% due to unfavorable weather conditions. This will leave inventories in the U.S. at their lowest level in 15 years, while world inventories of 127 million tons are at four-year lows. A combination of unusually heavy rains and high heat across the Midwest forced the USDA to drop yield estimates and resulted in spikes in commodity prices. Corn has also been diverted to the production of ethanol as a fuel source, putting more upward pressure on prices. The impact of any price increase in corn is wide-ranging, since it is used in so many different food items, as well as a primary source of livestock feed. Some of those products include: cereals, fruit drinks, ice cream, soups, syrups, beer, cakes, tortillas, breads and lunch meats.

Wheat Wheat jumped 47% during a year when the winter wheat acreage was the smallest since 1913. Surging worldwide demand and bad weather have both contributed to reductions in yield estimates. Russia's wheat fields were devastated by drought while too much rain, and flooding hurt production in Canada and Australia. According to the USDA, wheat inventories in the U.S. are estimated to be 16% lower than a year ago.

Soybeans After a record harvest in 2009, U.S. soybean production fell in 2010 and helped fuel a 44% increase in prices. The tightness in supply has resulted in a 25 million bushel drop in estimated inventories before this year's harvest. Argentina, another large producer, experienced relatively dry conditions that hurt production. Food products containing soybeans include: tofu, sausage, ice cream, vegetable oil, candy, baby food, peanut butter, salad dressing, margarine, sauces and vegetable shortening.

financialedge.investopedia.com...
edit on 043131p://2011-03-05T16:10:09-06:00201103 by bladdersweat because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by lewman

That is a good question, and I would fathom the guess that the answer is yes to both accounts.

My feeling is that this is an orchestrated paradigm by those in high places of wealth and power, as a means to gain even more power and control, which is all they ever care about.

So yes, I would suspect we will see more and more of this control in fewer and fewer hands, as all evidence seems to be pointing toward that being the grand scheme and plan.

The question is, will enough of the masses awaken to this in time to put a stop to it before it reaches its finalization?

I can only hope...

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   
went into a co op shop the other day, theyre pretty good for prices on food, only wanted a small bite sized bar of choccy, could not find one for less than 67p...i remember when the same bar used to be 29p pfft. I know its only a chocolate bar but all the same,

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   

The only grand scheme and plan these "Overlords" that ATS members hold in such powerful regard of humanity have is probably to gain control of whatever oil reserves are left in the middle-east.

At the end of the road, which we are nearly at, all it comes down to is... Those that have the last oil will live, those that don't will die. It's about survivability, not long term power and wealth and world domination... That was a pipe dream for these foolish elites but it is over now.

What power do they hold when global industrial civilization itself is nearly over? None

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Grow your own food, last time i checked DIRT was still free.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by smallblockchevy

dirt is not free . you have to buy the land or if in a apartment ,well.. you have to buy the dirt .

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Relativly speaking. You can buy your own dirt or you can own the land which your dirt comes from. What i am trying to get at is there wasnt a walmart 100 yrs ago, buck up and take it into your own hands, grow and can your own food. Canning jars are easy to come by, i havent ever paid for a canning jar ever, having gotten them free from older folks who dont can anymore, or from friends that have gave me a jar of say peppers. People will usually go to walmart and get new jars, instead of asking for THEIR jars back. If you are in the city or apartment i can only say do what you will and what you can. We have been growing our own beef , pork , lamb, chickens and hunt also, plus a full slaughter house ready to go at a moments notice with 50-100yr old machines that are paid for. Cant always be looking for a handout from elsewhere, start off with a few pots of veggies, you cant find someone to give you at your own expense (THE WORK OF DOING IT) some good dirt and manure.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by smallblockchevy

I think "what" we use as currency will change soon if this WSJ article knows what it's talking about.
Dollar's Reign as World's Currency Near End

I believe that over the next 10 years, we're going to see a profound shift toward a world in which several currencies compete for dominance.

I wonder what we will use to buy dirt, lol.

The OP link states

"Unexpected oil price spikes could further exacerbate an already precarious situation in food markets,"

I guess they thought of everything including devaluing our dollar.

Yesterday I heard Utah is now accepting gold coins as they do the dollar. They still accept the dollar of course.
The news announcer said we hadn't used gold like that for 80 years. I'll try to do a search on that and link it here.
Oil prices high and getting higher
"Food Crisis"
Our dollar is weak.
The big picture looks scary. I hope it isn't going to be as bad as some predict. Lately it's been getting harder to weed out the fear mongering vs reality.
Prepare for the worst and hope for the best, I guess.

ETA: Utah Considers Return to Gold, Silver Coins. Google search showing ATS in on the ball. This thread was created yesterday.

edit on 5-3-2011 by sweetliberty because: add link

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Growing ones own food is a pipe dream as the majority of folk dont know how too and though there may be dirt too grow food,most people dont have enough land to grow a high enough yield to feed themselves never mind thier families, i would love to just cycle outside my city and grow my own,but how long would it be before someone jacked all my food without replanting for the next season.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Yep - a scam. NO WAY has the effect trickled down yet to agriculture (maybe transport) - but in any event, the farmers who actually foot the bill for higher energy prices are NEVER compensated. The profits go to the distributors.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   

I agree DD. I have a suspicion that part of what it going on is a plot to make Americans get unruly enough to impose some sort of limits to our Constitution. Or create the illusion that our fellow citizens are getting so unruly we have reason to impose marital law.

One of the few things of value the US has left is our military machine. All those weapons, aircraft, ships, other vehilcles, etc., Somehow, the elite need to orchestrate a way to relieve "we the people" of ownership of our own armaments.

I suspect this will be done by pretending we are in revolt, and imposing martial law.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Martial law?, when will this ever be implemented, you should meet my neighbors, that'll never fly.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   
will americans let restrictions be imposed on thier constitution,seriously WTF, i thought nothing in all of existance could change or restrict the constituition of america,i always thought that the constituition was rock solid and that any one trying to say otherwise could be resisted by any means nessesary,but im not american ,aww well, in my short lifetime i feel like ive watched it be taken away and exists in all but name only,sad day for the world

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Yes, I'm having grocery check out anxiety, fill my car up anxiety, rising utility anxiety, not to mention the New Madrid seems ready to blow at any time now. Not getting very much sleep anymore.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join