It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I think my computer is getting old.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by mysterioustranger

You are correct. I used to tell my customers, you used to be able to make it out to the parking lot before it is outdated, now you cant even spin around and get out the door.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by paranormal78
reply to post by autowrench

I was thinking about getting an ASUS board for my new rig with an lintel core i7 processor and my goal is to get the thing running at 4.0 Ghz. Maybe even higher. And my backup cooling supply might and I stress might be liquid nitrogen! Do you know how to assemble a home built C.P.U. liquid cooling system?

No, I do not. I consider liquid cooling a neat feature, a custom thing to impress your friends, and nothing more. I run Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) CPUs, they do not have a built in kill switch like Intel.
Intel's Sandy Bridge processors have a remote kill switch

AMD has posted a rather interesting Youtube clip comparing its upcoming Llano APU to an Intel Sandy Bridge processor.

AMD’s power consumption figures were also better, staying under 48W, while Intel jumped back and forth between 45W and 55W. In a spreadsheet test, and the game running in the background, both processor were equally matched, but when the testers piled on some video and post processing, Llano pulled ahead. In addition, power consumption was still under 48W for the AMD, while Sandy went over 70W. AMD then launched a 3D modeling application, only to see Sandy Bridge struggle to cope, while Llano managed to deal with all four workloads.
source

For myself, I would not own an Intel board. I do not like them at all. My AMD Sempron runs cool, the heat sink barely gets warm, even under heavy work loads. right now i have Firefox up with 6 tabs, Thunderbird, and KWrite, and the Home Folder. My CPU shows it is using only 12-18% of the available power.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by autowrench

Intel processors have had an overheat auto shutdown since the p4 days. Intel boards are just fine for business workstation environment(currently have 280 workstations running them) but i wouldnt recommend them for home use either.

Amd has been behind the 8ball in processing power for a few years now. It used to be a back and forth race between the 2 but that hasnt been the case for a while. A Sempron is the intel equivalent of a celeron. Not as much cache and limited built-in instructions compared to its bigger brother. Hence the cooler temps. But if its good enough for what you do, thats all that matters.

Silver

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by S1LV3R4D0

Well I plan on sepnding no more than a thousand bucks on this build. It looks like I cant get the intel core i7 extreme. that would be all of my budget for just that C.P.U. But I am open to sugestions on parts for around a $1,000 budget.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Paranormal...check your U2U's for the list. its rudimentary via u2u so if you want the actual newegg list, reply back with your email address.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join