It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Petrol in UK could reach £2 a litre

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   
I thought that we couldnt get ripped off in the uk anymore but ive been proven wrong again,with all this trouble in the middle east there is talks that fuel could potentialy rocket to £2 and mybe beyond,the scary thing is that if this happens what implications would this have for my country given that petrol is used for just about every essential thing you could think off such as ,food transport and people getting to work etc,i cannot believe my eyes that after the fuel is made its rufly about 45/60 pence per litre and by the time ive bought it my goverment slaps a big whopping fuel duty on it and then add 20% on the total as VAT( value added tax) as well,im not sure what the percentage of tax the fuel duty is but i know its insane when you try and count it back, my country is screwed on top of being screwed,whats every ones feeling on this and also to all the americans would you stand for this in your country.

thanks for reading.

3.25 USD per litre or 14.4 USD per gallon
2 UKPS per litre or 8.60 UKPS per gallon

en.wikipedia.org...

news.sky.com... 201103115946140?lpos=Business_Top_Stories_Header_2&lid=ARTICLE_15946140_UK_Petrol_Price_Could_Reach_%3F2_A_Litre_If_Libya_And_Mideast_Instablity_Escal ate_Warns_Govt_Minister
edit on 5-3-2011 by KDM_Souljah because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Have you heard about this?
wattsupwiththat.com...

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   
I can honestly see a return of the 3 day week if petrol reaches £2 a litre... which would decimate the nation.. but the only way right now I could see it reaching that high in such a short timeframe would be a rise in protests in Saudi...

No wonder they are signing off more and more oil exploration down here along the Southern Coast.. those barrels are really going to be needed..

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by KDM_Souljah

you may have made a mistake with the us price. it is more like per gallon than per litre.
2nd
f

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Everything is going through the roof, just wait 'til they reassess the insurance rates following the latest European Court ruling.
Pastor Lindsay Williams (Alex Jones interviewee) seems to be getting everything spot-on so far...
Makes me glad I decided not to carry on with my driving lessons past what I needed to know to operate a vehicle, with all this social unrest on the horizon I can see there being a surplus of vehicles and not enough people left to drive them!!
Having said that there won't be any petrol to fuel them either...
Haha...The End is Nigh! Where's my sandwich board?
A trip to the local supermarket is going to be much more exciting... I might actually enjoy going shopping for once.
Actually, no, I probably still won't.
edit on 5/3/11 by iamahumandoing because: just thought

edit on 5/3/11 by iamahumandoing because: correction

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Nothing you can do about it. Sucks that your paying that for fuel, but other than walking, cycling, or mass transit you have no other choice. The US is just as bad however we travel alot farther than you do across the pond and i feel that is why ours is a bit cheaper. Quit buying gas, going to work, and running errands, nothing will stop them from raising the prices and they know that. GASOLINE is a large part of everyday life and you will not survive without it unless you take drastic measures to do so. That being said you'll by it or not, GOV needs a change and then the fuel prices will reflect this.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
In the US where I live in Southampton, NY it is $3.71 a gallon, last week it was $3.49. It is suppose to go to $5.00 by summer. Glad I bought an economical car.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by smallblockchevy

Your gas is cheaper becuase you travel further??

Nooo the reason petrol is soo high is that successive goverments every year keep slapping 1-2p a litre in fuel duty. and now it is close to 80% of cost of fuel

DUTY you understand what that means

Duty is applied to IMPORTS

So the petrol company has to pay the duty to import the fuel, and passes the costs of that along with their production costs, which in turn incorporates use of fuel costs to get it there in the first place. plus their profit margin, and operating overheads.

all this is passed on to the consumer.

I said after the last spike that fuel costs would not go down at $140 we were paying almost 98p GBP to 110 when the price went back down again, the cost of fuel at the pump did not at most it went to 92p now it is rising again. NO WHERE near the last spike, what are we now $80 a barrel, and here we are at 1.30 a litre. so what happens when we are at $140 bb again

What the hell is going on!

As the OP said, you whine about $4 a gallon now, how would you feel about $14 a gallon

That is what the UK is now realistically looking at. And don't be so smug. you lot are as dependent on imports as the rest of us. you're just lucky your duty tariffs aren't as high as ours......yet!

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   
I just made the decision last week to start working from home 2 days a week. I have fast broadband, IP telephony and VPN access to the corporate network. I count myself lucky to be in that position but as the office is 50 miles away, the 100 mile daily round-trip is starting to bite financially with these rising fuel costs.

If I remember correctly though, it's something like 65% of the cost of fuel is direct taxation into the government coffers. As government has grown, so it needs feeding. I also look at the criminal waste of money and costly decisions made by those in government that adds to the taxes required and have to wonder why none of them are in jail or sacked? I have said for a long time now that each and every government contract needs independent scrutiny before any contracts are awarded to any supplier. The story just a few days ago of even more waste in the MoD - paying £22 for £0.65p lightbulbs - just reinforces that view.
The week before that I saw the smug corpulent head of RBS defending his £2Million bonus package, claiming that it was out of his hands and voted for by the shareholders. Maybe I'm wrong here, but after WE taxpayers bailed them out, why wasn't I asked my opinion, as a shareholder / taxpayer?
Simple truth is, these jokers in power, all of them past and present, have all shown themselves to be irresponsible at best, criminal more likely, in their handling of anything monetary. It's time we pared back government to less than half what it is today and started making them personally accountable for every single penny spent.
Get us out of the EU, let the banks fail and seize every damned asset they have if necessary to pay off the small private account holders first, NOT the other big financial investors. Lets have some accountability and responsibility from them and remind them of who they work for!
There again, most people are so dumbed down these days they could take to the streets in outrage and be sent home happy with the promise of a new sparkly iPhone for each and everyone!

edit on 5-3-2011 by Britguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Britguy

regarding the £22 lightbulds et al. this is the murky side of the pfi experiment. i have heard of plug sockets for pfi/nhs hospitals costing £75+. look at the toll bridges where the mandate was due to cease after 20 odd years yet the revenue continues to be taken well after the remit. government needs an upgrade or downgrade indeed.
regards f

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Never said is was SMUG about it, just said its your GOVments fault, (write to your gov) not me. I have been to canada many times i know what DUTY is. If your gov cant get its taxes form other things, it gets it from your fuel. I would like to know what YOU are going to do about it, personaly. You pay or you dont. I dont think that concert tickets, or sporting events should be so overpriced either but people still by the tickets, dont they. Get yourself a bike or carpool, that is my only recommendation, or dont buy it. I have to buy gas or i walk, i dont really have a choice. Find ways to save on gas or help with the reasearch or newer technology to help ease the pain at the pump. If i was one of the few CORPS in the world that sold "petrol' im sure i would see the trends and adjust prices accordingly, isnt that the american way, to stiff others as long as your profit margin remains stable and you have your nice things?

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by fakedirt

i was puting the uk gallon price into dollars,not comparing UK price's with US prices,if the uk set the tax on US fuel duty thats how much you'd pay

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   
3rd world country for the true brits is on its way,but the rich will be allright becuase the real money and assets has been shipped oversea's, what are we gonna do about this,i can answer that one real easy NOTHING,

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
I think someones got the conversion wrong its currently £6 per gallon here in the uk £1.30 per litre, and will be £9 per gallon if it goes to £2 per litre, damn expensive even now!

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by orinoco4

No i havnt if you just look and read again you will see that my conversion is based on petrol being £2 a litre(a projected figure) and not the current price figure in which you would be correct, it would still amount to an overall increase of £2.60 per gallon or us money $4.22 per gallon and for an american our increase is just a little less than what they pay right now when you think about, i think mybe 5 million angry Drivers should drive down to london and wrap thier cars into westminster and then drag all MPs and Civil servants out into the street and hang them till thier dead,oops mybe they shouldnt wrap thier cars into westminster, i think keeping thier cars for dragging said mps and civil servant across the uk,statue of saddam hussien style would be better any thoughts on this
edit on 5-3-2011 by KDM_Souljah because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 06:16 AM
link   

thanks for clearing that up.
2nd
f

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 06:24 AM
link   
Do not speak of the cost of fuel in the USA compared to the price of fuel in the UK. For US poor slobs we have no medical services unless the money is up front, we have no public transportation systems. Do we want either, yes we do, but the super rich won't allow it. Whatever you are doing beats supporting the banks, stock market, insurance companies, auto makers, public employees, and miserable politicians. On a good note though, we do have lots of guns and we have the Federal Reserve that can print more money than any country in the world.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 06:46 AM
link   
I cycle to work. The wife is gonna have to do likewise if £2-00/litre happens. But then if £2-00/litre does happen, we probably won't have work to go to.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   
i think a £2 litre fuel price would be the final nail in the traitorous conservitive/librel democrats coalition and then when it comes back to voting we will vote in labour who got us here in the first place.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by KDM_Souljah
i think a £2 litre fuel price would be the final nail in the traitorous conservitive/librel democrats coalition and then when it comes back to voting we will vote in labour who got us here in the first place.

it doesn't matter what colour tie they wear they are all the same and the system of governance needs a thoroughly good shake up... the problem is, like the ME it'll be a race to see how quickly the establishment stems dissent without getting embroiled in an internal conflict.. £2 a litre could be the point the whole system is turned upside down, since I am sure the off shot of which would be a return of the 3 day week..

top topics

<<   2 >>

join