It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Science.com: China's 2 sun effect not fully explained by science

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 02:27 AM
link   
www.space.com...

"Several related atmospheric optical effects are fully explained by science. Sun dogs, sunset mirages, sun pillars and sun halos are all relatively common and well understood. But not this effect."

One scientist believes it might be a mirage, but even he questions that theory:

"Mirages appear when particles in the atmosphere refract, or bend, light. This typically happens near the horizon, where air is thicker, though, and mirages are usually aligned vertically above or below the original source of the light – not beside it, like in the video."

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 02:46 AM
link   
reply to post by demonseed

One scientist believes it might be a mirage
Hahaha, we don't understand it, so it must just be an illusion! That's the great logic of science my friends. Deny what you can't explain or don't understand.

EDIT:

In terms of an optical explanation, he said, "You would have to assume it is particles of ice or something in the atmosphere aligned in such a way that they would refract the sunlight at that very small angle, but only in one direction. It would require some fairly peculiar characteristics."
Well, that does seem possible I suppose, but very unlikely. Why do they think the picture isn't just a fake? Did lots of people see this or something?

edit on 5-3-2011 by WhizPhiz because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 02:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
It's an atmospheric effect referred to as a sundog.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 03:03 AM
link   
How on earth do we explain this one. www.youtube.com...

+12 more 
posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 03:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

Yes, because we all know that Phage's opinion is the only one that matters, and his word is absolute and cannot be disputed.

You know how semi-attractive women will go to parties with ugly women to make themselves appear more desirable? In this case, the people screaming that this is Nibiru are the ugly women. When you've got countless new users screaming Nibiru and a popular user known by all offering a scientific explanation, it's no wonder.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 03:09 AM
link   
reply to post by SonicInfinity

I dont have an answer, and the info Phage posted looks like its based on facts.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 03:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Seekeye2

this one looks like a sun dog has that prism effect hitting the clouds?
The China and a few others actually have more defined appeances as being a soilid object, I would chech my area but I have till least monday untill the sky clears, every should check early rise and sun setting for your location, you might have a chance to see a ufo as well

edit on 5-3-2011 by CIGGSofWAR because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 03:51 AM
link   

If you used your eyes, and your reading comprehension skills, plus the damned internet for comparison pictures...you can tell its not a sundog. I'm not saying nibiru, because it could be a different optical illusion. However, its not a sundog.

Phage =/= Fact

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 05:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheOneElectric

If you used your eyes, and your reading comprehension skills, plus the damned internet for comparison pictures...you can tell its not a sundog. I'm not saying nibiru, because it could be a different optical illusion. However, its not a sundog.

Phage =/= Fact

well said.

(sorry for the short post, but that's all that needed to be said.)

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 06:18 AM
link   
Sure, because if we cannot explain the illusion then it MUST be a previously unknown celestial body which has absolutely zero supporting evidence for its existence, other than this illusion. Get a grip people, it's not a planet, it's not "Niburu" or whatever it's called

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 06:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra

Originally posted by Phage
It's an atmospheric effect referred to as a sundog.

en.wikipedia.org...
Only, that's not a sundog in the china video, or in the other videos which are surfacing in the past couple of weeks. It's either an exact copy of the sun, somehow reflected/refracted next to itself, or an object. Not a sundog, they're easy to spot.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 06:32 AM
link   
I noticed what appeared to be two suns, one being roughly 1 to 1 and half times higher than the other. There was no reflections, or blinding light halos, etc. The only thing I was left to explain it was the proximity of the moon, and that it was the sun bathing the moon in light. You'll have to forgive me, as I don't really study the orbit on the moon and don't know if this is possible.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 06:37 AM
link   
Any explanation has to include why hundreds of millions other people didn't see the same thing. It was only witnessed by one person (or group of persons) in one specific place.

Of course, if they were looking through glass at the time it would explain why absolutely no-one else saw the illusion

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 06:42 AM
link   
Does this explain anything?

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 06:48 AM
link   
I really dont know what to make of all this Nibiru /PlanetX /twin Sun theory! Honestly i dont!

Common sense tells me it is not possible,but on the other hand,my open mindedness tells me to think out of the box!

Will have to keep studying both sides before i can come to a definite conclusion!

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 06:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Essan
Any explanation has to include why hundreds of millions other people didn't see the same thing. It was only witnessed by one person (or group of persons) in one specific place.

Oh really?

How bizarre that numerous reports and videos of "twin suns" are pouring in from around the world, but the only video that's been officially acknowledged is the Chinese MSM news story.

Here are a few of the many other "twin sun" videos:

Italy:

Thailand:

ATS member RUDDD:

U.S:

Notice how every video above is labeled "Nibiru?" You can fool some of the people all of the time and all of the people some of the time...

How interesting that one of the primary stated missions for NASA's March 2010 launch of the WISE infrared telescope was to find "Nemesis" ("The Death Star,") an "unseen binary companion of the sun."

Getting WISE about Nemesis

Summary: Is our Sun part of a binary star system? An unseen companion star, nicknamed “Nemesis,” may be sending comets towards Earth. If Nemesis exists, NASA’s new WISE telescope should be able to spot it.

A dark object may be lurking near our solar system, occasionally kicking comets in our direction.

Nicknamed “Nemesis” or “The Death Star,” this undetected object could be a red or brown dwarf star, or an even darker presence several times the mass of Jupiter.

www.astrobio.net...

And even more interesting, NASA has supposedly been searching for the sun's "dark binary companion" since the early 1980s!

Does the Sun Have a Dark Companion?

Newsweek
June 28, 1982

When scientists noticed that Uranus wasn't following its predicted orbit for example, they didn't question their theories. Instead they blamed the anomalies on an as yet unseen planet and, sure enough, Neptune was discovered in 1846.

Now astronomers are using the same strategy to explain quirks in the orbits of Uranus and Neptune. According to John Anderson of the Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, Calif., this odd behavior suggests that the sun has an unseen companion, a dark star gravitationally bound to it but billions of miles away.

rabbithole2.com...

Wouldn't it be the ultimate irony if people around the world are starting to notice with their own eyes what NASA has spent three decades and billions of dollars trying to discover?!

edit on 3/5/2011 by GoldenFleece because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 07:10 AM
link   
reply to post by john_bmth

Doesn't have to be an unknown celestial body.
I'm just wondering why no one has called "blue beam, dry run?"
I thought I was on ATS?

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 07:27 AM
link   
People are so gullible.

These are lens flares. en.wikipedia.org...

On the video from the bus, it's a reflection in the bus window.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 07:34 AM
link   
reply to post by GoldenFleece

Finding Nemesis was not the stated primary mission for WISE. The mission was to produce an all-sky survey. It may contain evidence for Nemesis, or it may not. It will take a couple of years to go though all of the data collected by WISE. www.nasa.gov...

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by wildespace

I said one of the primary stated missions, which is why an entire article was written about it in NASA's Astrobiology Magazine.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join