It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If you see a homeless man/woman

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 11:54 PM
link   
Will you assist them, mock them, just stare, or just keep walking?

what would you do in this situation?

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   
usually give them a dollar or tell them not to give up

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   
In highschool years ago we would throw honeydew melon at them. Now I guess it depends. ALOT of fakes out there.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 12:02 AM
link   
I honestly never know what to do since you don't know if they're going to use the $ for drugs or just to survive with food. I guess it all comes down to your gut feeling at the time. Personally, I think that if you can't spend a little time with them one on one asking questions to see whats really going on, its best to do a fast food drop off and help them eat for the day.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 12:03 AM
link   
I was always a bit scared of them

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   
reply to post by sugarcookie1

Do they need help, or are they just walking along? If theyre just strolling or going somewhere, just keep walking. Just like anybody on the street, if they need help, Ill lend help (to a point)

link   

Originally posted by SnakeShot
I honestly never know what to do since you don't know if they're going to use the $ for drugs or just to survive with food. I guess it all comes down to your gut feeling at the time. Personally, I think that if you can't spend a little time with them one on one asking questions to see whats really going on, its best to do a fast food drop off and help them eat for the day.

Yeah its kind of a hard call on what to do..

link   

Originally posted by yourmaker
usually give them a dollar or tell them not to give up

Thats very kind of you

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by chancemusky

Do they need help, or are they just walking along? If theyre just strolling or going somewhere, just keep walking. Just like anybody on the street, if they need help, Ill lend help (to a point)

I think more if they just come up to you begging

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   
I usually nod and keep going.

Homelessness can strike out of nowhere. My buddy is being kicked from his place by the actual leaseholder (his friend, who is a colossal and random -expletive deleted-) and is going to end up a vagrant, despite the fact he's had the same job for the last several years. A shame food service is the only option where he's at and the tiny raises do nothing.

I can't even let him crash here because the lady and I are both currently jobless and are living on the little bit leftover from our student loans after tuition is payed in a cramped apartment. =/

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Standard procedure when I am in a position to be giving is tell me a joke make me laugh and you can have all the change in my pocket (which has been upwards of 2-3 bucks). That way I'm not just giving it to them they get to work for it.
However some of them are rude and have no shame and I often just make sure to grab my ear buds and jam tunes when I walk around downtown "Bum Off"
never been asked for anything with em on...

EDIT to add: I don't care if they use it for booze or drugs that just means they'll not be eating later

edit on 5-3-2011 by RickyD because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by SweetRevenge
I usually nod and keep going.

Homelessness can strike out of nowhere. My buddy is being kicked from his place by the actual leaseholder (his friend, who is a colossal and random -expletive deleted-) and is going to end up a vagrant, despite the fact he's had the same job for the last several years. A shame food service is the only option where he's at and the tiny raises do nothing.

I can't even let him crash here because the lady and I are both currently jobless and are living on the little bit leftover from our student loans after tuition is payed in a cramped apartment. =/

That's sad to hear..with the economy the way its going i think were going to see alot of homeless..But i understand we cant help everyone

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 12:17 AM
link   
Like someone else said a fast food drop would be the best bet.. Although I should practice what I preach. For the past year I've been commuting to school and everytime i get off the exit ramp the same homeless man is standing with a sign on the same exact corner every day. I always tell myself I'm gonna get lunch and give him a portion, and never have. Now that I've read your forum I realize this and hopefully remember too next week.

Kinda off topic but for those who remember the homeless man Ted Williams, with the "golden voice of the GODS", it seem he found a job.
shetoldme.com...

for those who do not know who he is here is a link

www.youtube.com...

Its guys like this man why I can't simply ignore them. Hopefully some can still make a living.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by RickyD
Standard procedure when I am in a position to be giving is tell me a joke make me laugh and you can have all the change in my pocket (which has been upwards of 2-3 bucks). That way I'm not just giving it to them they get to work for it.
However some of them are rude and have no shame and I often just make sure to grab my ear buds and jam tunes when I walk around downtown "Bum Off"
never been asked for anything with em on...

EDIT to add: I don't care if they use it for booze or drugs that just means they'll not be eating later

edit on 5-3-2011 by RickyD because: (no reason given)

Thats one way of doing it i suppose

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 12:28 AM
link   

I will say at least 80% of them are gonna go buy booze or drugs and there's not any real way to tell. Trust me I have known many spangers along my travels you would think would use it for food and they go by heroin so I just go by how I feel cause hey I'm not close to well off. Oh and if the sign they fly makes me laugh I will give money for that too I saw one that said "Need money for karate lessons got beat up by ninjas"
It all comes down to if you make my day a lil better I'll do the same for you.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 12:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by LogicMan07
Like someone else said a fast food drop would be the best bet.. Although I should practice what I preach. For the past year I've been commuting to school and everytime i get off the exit ramp the same homeless man is standing with a sign on the same exact corner every day. I always tell myself I'm gonna get lunch and give him a portion, and never have. Now that I've read your forum I realize this and hopefully remember too next week.

Kinda off topic but for those who remember the homeless man Ted Williams, with the "golden voice of the GODS", it seem he found a job.
shetoldme.com...

for those who do not know who he is here is a link

www.youtube.com...

Its guys like this man why I can't simply ignore them. Hopefully some can still make a living.

I heard about the fast food drop that's probably not a bad idea and wouldn't be to expensive plus it would be a warm meal..Ted Williams has a beautiful voice I'm glad he was found but i hear he is having problems with his new found celebrity status

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by RickyD

I will say at least 80% of them are gonna go buy booze or drugs and there's not any real way to tell. Trust me I have known many spangers along my travels you would think would use it for food and they go by heroin so I just go by how I feel cause hey I'm not close to well off. Oh and if the sign they fly makes me laugh I will give money for that too I saw one that said "Need money for karate lessons got beat up by ninjas"
It all comes down to if you make my day a lil better I'll do the same for you.

Id give money also if i saw a sign like that lol

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 12:36 AM
link   

It depends on how they act. IF the seem sketchy, ill say sorry, dont have any. But if they seem nice and try to stay hygenic, and actually DO something to try and help themselves, give em a buck or two

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by chancemusky

It depends on how they act. IF the seem sketchy, ill say sorry, dont have any. But if they seem nice and try to stay hygenic, and actually DO something to try and help themselves, give em a buck or two

I have to wonder how many could be working and not begging on the streets

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 12:50 AM
link   

When I was in college, I noticed a homeless woman camping out in the basement stair well to our dorm. I told her to stay put and that I would bring some food. I cut class and went to the cafeteria and loaded a plate up. I brought it back and gave it to her. The only words she ever said were "thank you" which was enough. She acted like a feral cat acts when you try to approach it. Broke my heart. That was way back in the early 80's; haven't thought about that in years.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join