It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do America's police need an armored tank?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Why do America's police need an armored tank?

www.msnbc.msn.com

America's most in-demand police vehicle is a 10-officer 16,000-pound armored tank that takes bullets like Superman and drives 80 mph. The federal government buys dozens each year for local police departments. Do America's local police need tanks?

...Lenco builds about 200 such vehicles in year, in grades from "VIP SUV" to combat-ready with gun turrets.

The other reason for its popularity? Thanks to the U.S. government, most police departments now get their BearCats free.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 11:17 PM
link   
I wonder who will be in charge of these vehicles if/when martial law is declared, local police or DHS?

We've come a long way from the LAPD APC in Diehard. Not just in terms of vehicle technology, but also in terms of what the public is willing to accept when it comes to equipping police forces for civilian operations. I watched the North Hollywood Shootout live on local news, and the use of an armored car to evacuate wounded officers from the line of fire was crucial to their survival. Also crucial to the LAPD that day was the gunshop around the corner from the BofA being robbed by a professional crew wielding fully automatic AK-47s firing armor piercing bullets. The high powered rifles responding officers procured from that store made it possible for them to achieve fire superiority and end the ensuing standoff.

That said, I can understand the need for local police to have access to heavy duty equipment and firepower in the event it is needed in situations such as these. My only overriding concern is the prospect of such items being turned on the very people the are acquired obstensibly to protect should the relationship between the people and the government deteriorate to the point that armed conflict between them is realized.

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 11:24 PM
link   

"shooting Wednesday night at King George Boulevard and Highway 10 -- just around the corner from the Surrey RCMP detachment."

2 blocks from where I live.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Icarus Rising

New Vehicle old news
www.abovetopsecret.com...
The question still stands though. Is this type of vehicle maybe sending the wrong message to the ordinary citizen?

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   
My cousin was engaged to a Va State Trooper SWAT sniper and they actually brought the APC with turret gun (I forget the caliber but it was not under .50 cal) over to the house for his birthday. I heard a few stories of it being used to make "hard" breaches like through a wall and to drive the team into hostile fire to breach buildings. Not saying they really need it but hell it was pretty cool! And yes I got to ride in it...

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by yourmaker

They need it to defend the Nakatomi plaza.

Skip to 1:44

edit on 4-3-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

I could just see that going down in one of Richmond's many ghetto gang infested neighborhoods

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Do you remember that incident in San Diego where a guy stole a tank from an ROTC facility then drove around town running over cars, campers and all sorts of street poles until it finally got stuck on the freeway where the cops then jumped on top of it and shot the guy through the top hatch? Maybe they feel after that they need a tank of their own to counter react to such large vehicles being used in crimes.
Most likely just an excuse though if that is the case.

What is also interesting is why do police departments need such police cars like modified Corvettes and Dodge Chargers. I used to see these all the time in California. I once saw a police Lamborghini in Las Vegas. Is the Crown Victoria not luxury enough that departments feel they need sports cars also? As a tax payer I would vote 'no' for departments getting such vehicles. The next thing you know all police officer's will be driving Porche's and Ferrari's as the normal patrol vehicle. States sure know how to waste money.

2cents.
Bzzzzzzz

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Icarus Rising
I wonder who will be in charge of these vehicles if/when martial law is declared, local police or DHS?

Joe Bloggs if he gets to the hotseat first.

Keys in the sun visor?

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 11:50 PM
link   

In my opinion, Ultimately, it will be under an agency that is subordinate to the DHS. Most likely FEMA, but not necessarily. These are, after all urban combat vehicles. The nature of the weapons system seems to imply the need to hold off an army. This could range from organized crime to civil unrest. Hollywood is great at inventing reasons to show off the theoretical potential of these very profitable products.

Add that imagery to the constant implicit message that we're all in danger, and we better be prepared for the fight of our lives. Those wishing to 'express' the validity of their position are easily convinced we need super durable troop delivery systems for our newly hardened tactically-trained police units....

The military industrial complex is only too happy to comply with addressing the "need.." (Heck, they might even create some "circumstance" to encourage business, if the profit was attractive enough.... nah.) The Investment machinery was betting heavily on that scenario arising, so they're good. People are confused, so the Churches are happy.

Now all this leads me to say that at the end of the day, when you have the interests of all those particular corporate super-citizens not only well represented in the halls of government - but actually collectively over represented in politically appointed policy-making positions; whatever they wish to "sell"... we will inevitably find ourselves compelled to "buy".

This includes flooding our lands with overpowered weapon systems that will, eventually fall into the wrong hands. Ironically, making the fear-monger's tale, one of self-fulfilling prophecy.

OOoohhh. spooky.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 12:31 AM
link   
I'm in support of access to heavier options for our Police. Like any tool, I'm just worried about it falling into the wrong hands. A "bad apple" officer or some stereotypical governmental agency of evil procuring and using them for nefarious purposes.
However, I know even here in my small community, we have lost officers during standoffs to unhinged individuals with surprisingly good aim. So even using a APC or something equivalent as a bullet shield/temp HQ would be a plus in my books.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 12:37 AM
link   
My city has had oneo f thse SUV nokitomi building tanks for about 4 years now. they never use it seems in public. but i always wondered why the need one? looks like someting the nazis would have had, SS troopers on halftracks.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by BuzzingOn

I am sure that incident that you mentioned with the stolen tank, and also probably the "Killdozer," are a couple of the incidents that police use to justify having their own tanks. It is not very likely that they would have one, in a close enough proximity, in order to prevent damage. However, these rare events, have proven that traditional vehicles and weapons do nothing against this type of brute force.

ATS - Killdozer

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 01:00 AM
link   
I eat armored vehicles for breakfast. A TV guided missile or a well placed EFP can handle these things small beans. If you have played the game BF2 you know what I am talking about. Plus lots of guys with technical background can build a small hand held tactical nuke and throw it at the tank. Small beans. Call me when they have something that is challenging

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 01:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Icarus Rising

Because of incidents like this - North Hollywood Shootout

This incident caused the entire City of Los Angeles to go on tactical alert (all agencies notified and responding). It involved around 300 officers. The LAPD discharged over 650 rounds, and the 2 bank robbers, using fully automatic weapons as well as body armor, discharged over 1,100 rounds.

The officers were shooting center mass as trained, and eventually the order was given to take extremity shots (head / arms / legs). Both robbers were shot multiple times, but continued on. A News chopper flying overhead took fire from the robbers as well.

Eventually several officers entered a local gun shop and commandeered military assault rifles (M-16/AR-15) in an attempt to level the playing field. There were officers down as well as civilians down who were cuaght in the crossfire. If I remember right an armored bank truck was also commandeered and used to create a barrier between the robbers and the wounded people.

The vehicle also allows tactical units to enter a situation, where if they did not have the vehicle, would be exposed.

As I have said before, its difficult for civilians to understand why we have some of the resources we do. Its not for martial law or anything sinister. Its to protect officers and civilians when things go majorly downhill.

This incident, the North Hollywood shootout, is why Law Enforcement Agencies now have tactical rifles in their vehicles.

The days of Mayberry are overwith. Its not out of the realm of possibility for criminals to have fully automatic assault weapons, body armor and explosives. Its better to have it, and never use it, than to not have it and need it.
edit on 5-3-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 01:38 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 01:42 AM
link   
because americans can get biblical at any time.

on anyone.

so beware david peg.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 02:19 AM
link   
Oh so you have a tank? Guess what I have:

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 03:48 AM
link   
Oh yes they need those.

You know, when the sheeple finally wakes up that they've been robbed blind by the elite and start rioting, using their guns and march on Washington, they'll need those to mow down protesters.

After all, a proportion of the army would probably defect and/or refuse to fire with tanks on protesters... but you know, COPS, who are the most brainwashed government goons in the world, need armored vehicles too!

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 04:32 AM
link   

We've come a long way from the LAPD APC in Diehard.
Does anyone think it's the least bit possible the movie Diehard might be why some might think tanks are needed? Specifically referring to that LAPD APC scene?

Edit: I just read the post after mine, yeah, it's not really a "tank" after all, in the article they refer to it as a "mini tank".

And from the photo it doesn't look all that much tougher than the LAPD APC in Diehard, though it seems to have more glass.

Big cities probably need these but the smaller towns getting them seems like overkill to me.
edit on 5-3-2011 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join