It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Power of the Pen.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   
These days, everything is electronic...

Man, back in my day, we used to write things using a pen and paper. What happened man?

To me, writing with a good old fashioned pen or pencil on a nice sheet of paper is just way more fun.

When you take notes in pen and paper, you are able to doodle along with add your own character to your notes and such.

The times have changed. Don't forget how to write people. It's gonna be good to know when SHTF.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by SolarE-Souljah

Wow, were not that stupid dude...or that far ahead.

Then again...at high school kids who aren't good at writing (in other words, lack the practice) are being given machine's to type for them. That's right, they aren't even typing. Just talking into a mic.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   
I still pick up a pen and paper daily if I can.

When you take the time to physically write on a piece of paper with a pen/pencil, your thoughts also go in to it a lot more. Not to mention if it's a special card or letter to somebody it is much more personal I think.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   
I remember my English classes and handwriting lessons. Yup...joined up letters with even a few flourishes.

I bet some kids today wouldn't even be able to read it.

Most typography is done on computers these days and some of those who still use pens could now be considered artists. Freehand calligraphy and logo design, those kinds of things.

Pens....good for twiddling round your fingers, using as blowguns with soggy paper and great for chewing on while you think.

Aaah! those were the days.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   
A star for you nerbot, just for your reply.

Originally posted by nerbot

Pens....good for twiddling round your fingers, using as blowguns with soggy paper and great for chewing on while you think.

Aaah! those were the days.

edit on 4-3-2011 by stealthsurfer because: Wrote inside quotes..fixed

edit on 4-3-2011 by stealthsurfer because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by SolarE-Souljah

Well , hope to god the juice doesn't give out, because then we will be stuck being full time teachers.
Most kids I know can use a pen or pencil, but now that you have mentioned it, I am kind of shocked to realize
how quickly that could become not so much obsolete, but secondary, then thirdly ...illiterate.

Good observation into the possible future.
S&F

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Sad it is to see writing skills fade away.

I remember a time long past when a personally written letter was very special.

There is one among my treasures that a doctor wrote to me concerning my broken arm in the 1950's.

Keep writing alive.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   
My junior high kid still does all work in pen and paper at school. She even comes home with doodles on her hands and the I love so and so bull ( doesnt go over great with dad) . Shes still using all that and uses her technology here at home. Still seems pretty balanced to me. She even has real text books!

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by gandhi

Ghandi, you get a Star....Just for your smoking Avatar. But really with text messaging and "Qwerty" does it not
seem apparent that actual writing skills (cursive,etc.) has been affected already? If not, you have to admit that when the latest voice command software becomes commonplace, and then thought software after that, you might
see pencils appraised on "The Antique Road Show". Can you imagine such a future?

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Wildmanimal

thats great lol! i better stock up on pencils for when theyre on the show.the coveted # 2 will be my investment.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 03:25 AM
link   
I sorta want to see teaching material that uses the old and the new. An Ipad like device that trains in on the pen well enough to match handwriting. That way kids can learn to write, and turn in all their reports and essays on an SDcard. Less paper, pens, and pencils wasted to save on resources. And still be teaching them how to write.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 03:35 AM
link   
Ah yes, graphite writing sticks...

Personally I take many notes when inspiration hits, some concepts have a kind of logic that requires a chart or a diagram to fully express, and often the human hand is far more articulate than the human fingertips. Its no joke really, I have hundreds of pages of notes stored away in various locations...
edit on 5-3-2011 by SystemResistor because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-3-2011 by SystemResistor because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 04:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by SolarE-Souljah
These days, everything is electronic...

Man, back in my day, we used to write things using a pen and paper. What happened man?

To me, writing with a good old fashioned pen or pencil on a nice sheet of paper is just way more fun.

When you take notes in pen and paper, you are able to doodle along with add your own character to your notes and such.

The times have changed. Don't forget how to write people. It's gonna be good to know when SHTF.

Do you want to see what they're used for now days?
-Fast forward to 1:00 to see what im talking about...or alternatively watch it all!

top topics

join