It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Moonageddon: on March 19, our nearest neighbour will be at its closest since 1993

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Moonageddon: on March 19, our nearest neighbour will be at its closest since 1993

www.news.com.au

In a fortnight Earth will experience the biggest moon it has seen in nearly two decades.

As well as providing some unique photo opportunities, some astronomers - well, one - are already predicting it may bring more worrying disruptions to the Earth’s climate patterns.

Earthquakes are not out of the question. More about that later.

For now, all you need to know is that on March 19th the moon will be at its closest point to Earth in 18 years, an event that is known as a “lunar perigee”.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Comet Elinin Will Cause Pole Shift March 15th -Is THIS What The A.J Show Caller Was Talking About?
2012 Pole Shift survival guide
pole shift predicted for march 15th 2011

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   
I found this article interesting in light of all the speculation surrounding a pole shift around the 15th March. It is interesting that this event wasn't highlighted in previous discussion.

I would have thought that if the magnetic poles are teetering on a flip, then the moon approaching 30,000 miles closer to Earth would have more impact on Earths polarity than comet Elenin which will be millions of miles away. Anyways I just thought that this was a bit of a coincidence.

www.news.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   
run for the hills this lookin bad
haha just kidding well there was a thread on this already and what happend 18 years ago when this happend?

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by tamenie

I realize that this is a regular event, but I don't think the moving poles where as noticeable 18 years ago.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   
So What??? Nothing happened in 93, nothing will happen now. This is not news.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Fragile earth

Already decent discusion on this over there.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by mugger

Whoops, missed that one. Cool, thanks

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by kennyb72

The last impression I was under, was that the Moon was moving away from the Earth...
I'm confuddled now!

The Moon is currently moving away from the Earth at the very slow rate of 3.8 cm per year. It has been moving away from the Earth ever since its formation more than 4 billion years ago.

Source

The reason the Moon's orbital distance from Earth is gradually increasing is due to the influence of the tides. Tides on Earth are created by the gravitational influence of both the Moon and the Sun that tug on the planet and cause it to bulge outward slightly at the equator. The majority of this equatorial bulging is actually due to the rotation of the Earth about its axis. This rotation raises the equator about 23 kilometers, or 0.4% of the Earth's radius, higher than it would be if the Earth did not rotate. The planet's shape is further deformed by the gravitational pull of the Moon. While the solid surface of the Earth is distorted by only a few centimeters, the primary effect is on the oceans that rise by a few meters.

Source

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Great Flood of 1993

Originally posted by Shamatt

The great flooding of the Mississppi River in 1993 from April to October. The two could be related. Gravitational pull could have made the flooding worse.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by kennyb72
I realize that this is a regular event, but I don't think the moving poles where as noticeable 18 years ago.

Really? We didn't use compasses 18 years ago?

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by OptimisticPessimist

From what I understand, the moon is slowly moving away from Earth. This astrological event will continue to cycle as it always has but in eighteen years time instead of approaching 356,577km away it will be 356,577 and 30cms away

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Ok, Ok pedantic
what I should have said is that we didn't have ATS discussing a pole shift on the 15th and later discover that the moon is virtually crashing through the atmosphere on the the 19th. Slight exaggeration OK but surely you get my drift?

edit on 4-3-2011 by kennyb72 because: hit a T instead if an S

Also the magnetic north and south have accelerated muchley since 1993
edit on 4-3-2011 by kennyb72 because: To add more credibility to my already week argument

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   

How wrong you are my friend, some very TERRIBLE things happened in 1993............
Bill Clinton (and even more terrible, Hillary)
Janet Reno
John Wayne Bobbitt
The Jerky Boys
Whoomp (There it is) by Tag Team

Seek shelter, this could get ugly.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 08:34 PM
link   
The only significance I could see from this would be some coastal flooding, and earthquakes. Other then that it will be an awesome night to get drunk and lay out under the stars and moon if you will.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   
I highly doubt doom will happen - high and low tides and whatever high and low
tides can create - that's about it I think. Looking forward to the viewing.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Uh... LOTs happened in 1993

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by leemachino
Great Flood of 1993

The great flooding of the Mississppi River in 1993 from April to October. The two could be related. Gravitational pull could have made the flooding worse.

Exactly!

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 03:59 AM
link   
Well now... this might alter my plans somewhat. Its my birthday on the 20th so I might stay up on the evening of the 19th just took boggle at the moon, rather than getting an early night then hitting the bottle first thing in the morning!

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 04:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Trublbrwing

How wrong you are my friend, some very TERRIBLE things happened in 1993............

John Wayne Bobbitt

now that guy knows a thing or two about "pole shifts"...............

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 05:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Trublbrwing

Bill Clinton (and even more terrible, Hillary)
Janet Reno
John Wayne Bobbitt
The Jerky Boys
Whoomp (There it is) by Tag Team

Seek shelter, this could get ugly.

If you look at it from that point of view, things are already ugly!

Hillary Clinton (Still here but a billiond times worse)
Justin Beiber
Kesha

Need I say more?

None of these things are realte to the moon thoug, just the crap product of modern day #ty popular culture and even #tier polotics.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join