It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Americas Advanced Defence Agency to build a Quadruped CHEETAH Robot to outrun any human!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Straight out of a Terminator movie! What do ATS members think of this story?

Sorry I couldn't upload the rather cool photo.

Article from Gizmag website.

It would be scary to be chased by a military robot. It would also be scary to be chased by a cheetah. So, imagine what it would be like to have a military robotic cheetah sprinting after you. Such a scenario could one day be possible, as robotics company Boston Dynamics recently announced that America's Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) has awarded it a contract to design and build such a ... critter. The contract also includes the creation of an agile, bipedal humanoid robot. It's hard to say which one might ultimately be creepier.

The CHEETAH robot will reportedly have four legs, a flexible spine, an articulated head/neck, and perhaps a tail. It will be able to run faster than any existing legged robot or human runner, make tight, zig-zagging turns in order to chase or evade, be able to accelerate very rapidly from a standstill, and stop just as quickly.

The other robot, ATLAS, "will walk like a man, using a heel-to-toe walking motion, long strides and dynamic transfer of weight on each step," according to Boston Dynamics VP of Engineering Rob Playter. It will have a torso, two legs and two arms, although spookily enough, there's no mention of a head. It will be able to turn sideways to squeeze through narrow passages, and use its hands for balance and support on rough terrain.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by MisterMiyagi

I think I saw a thread like this before, but yeah it seems pretty scary, imagine that being released into a mob of protesters, if it is brought into use it better be extensively tested first.

Edit: www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 4/3/2011 by BigBruddah because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by BigBruddah
reply to post by MisterMiyagi

I think I saw a thread like this before, but yeah it seems pretty scary, imagine that being released into a mob of protesters, if it is brought into use it better be extensively tested first.

I second that, it would need very thorough testing the thought of robots still amazes me it seems the future is now hopefully these types of technology are used for the right things and not abused.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by BigBruddah

Thanks . Never saw that thread.

Should have known ATS would have a story like this posted the second it hit the internet

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   
It looks like a Transformer Beast Wars robot, very cool. How soon until they are fitted with an advanced Terra flop AI processors?

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   
DAMN YOU JAMES CAMERON!!!!!!!

DAMN YOU MATTEL!!!!!

DAMN YOU MICHAEL BAY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your dreams and visions have destroyed us ALL!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not sure who to damn the most so I think all 3 warrent a mention.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   
"BOSTON DYNAMIC"

lol.. anyone else getting a flashback from the series FRINGE

anyone else thinking desensitization at its best?

FYI anyone who doesnt know, FRINGE is about all kinds of crazy pseudo science things and the company behind basically all of them is called MASSIVE DYNAMIC and is based out of Boston, Mass.
edit on 4-3-2011 by EmpathicBandit because: to add FYI

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Why do we even need a robot capable of doing that, Unless it is to round people up like a sheep dog. Where are you going to hide when it can see your body heat? Scary

Peace

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Existing thread here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments to the ongoing discussion.
Thank you

-thread closed-

for future reference:
Search ATS

new topics

top topics

join