It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA Fails on another Mission....Wastes $424 Million Dollars in the Process!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 07:26 AM
link   
Woke up to this morning to this article. Are we really falling that far behind other countries in space exploration? Seems like a simple mission to me but it ended with a satellite in the ocean again. Thoughts and feedback appreciated.

news.yahoo.com...

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 07:31 AM
link   
reply to post by MonkeyWrench30

If you're going to rip on them then rip on the military too. All the agencies waste obscene amounts of money. They deserve it. If this were a movie it would probably be a comedy. God would be Actor #1. Everytime he hands men a check for $1,000,000 it goes right to the government agencies and then we get button busting guffaws from the audience when all the money gets burnt and shredded as the people look on like confused chickens with their heads cut off. It would be a blockbuster in theaters.
edit on 4-3-2011 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by MonkeyWrench30

Interesting that the article says that "NASA Said..." that it went into the pacific, but they don't have a quote from NASA. Just going to have to wait for the briefing to confirm.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 07:50 AM
link   
I'd rather them fail at making progress than to make no attempt at all.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 07:54 AM
link   
It happens.

Why is it people always want to talk about NASA failures and yet they don't care about the success stories.

Sucks this didn't go up but sometimes things just happen. You have any idea what is involved when launching these things?

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 08:09 AM
link   
I for one cheered when I read the article....The last thing we need is another satellite up there pushing their hilarious global warming agenda.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Ah so now NASA started AGW IIUC, LOL!

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Thread here...
www.abovetopsecret.com...
third.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 08:26 AM
link   
One thing that makes a lot of people angry...especially in an economy like this is seeing $424 million dollars go down the drain because one of the most elite space organizations in the world cant get a basic rocket into orbit. Thats the reason for bashing....you would think by now this would be a routine procedure for them. But if theres still risk in something this minimal then why risk the $424 million for one satellite when it could be used for ALOT of other issues our country is facing right now?

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ear-Responsible

And I'd rather they let their HUGE funding go towards something that benefits those who really need it down here on this ball of dirt.

Damn scientists and soldiers, self perpetuating meddlers.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Hmm, I smell a conspiracy here.

From the OP article:

NASA suffered a similar mishap two years ago when a satellite that would have studied global warming crashed into the ocean near Antarctica after launching from the same kind of rocket that carried Glory. Officials said Friday that Glory likely wound up landing near where the previous satellite did.

Two global warming/climate change satellites fail to reach orbit in two years. Was the launch sabotaged? Was there even a satellite on board either rocket, or did that money go somewhere else? I guess we will never know.
edit on 4-3-2011 by Aggie Man because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aggie Man
or did that money go somewhere else?

How do we KNOW that the satellites weren't actually put into orbit but the reports say they crashed into the ocean so they get MORE money for MORE satellites.

Can we go "up there" to verify things....No.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Poor Nasa, poor Nasa they are getting it from the msn. you kidding me folks? you have an organization that sent a man to the moon in 1969 and truthfully has not done a dam thing since! if i had a company which wasted as much tax payers money developing a can and the cause-affect of it in outer space to justify my multi million dollar deal with Government, i would be out of business and so would all of the other posters here.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   
I've always wanted to do this, so here goes;

Pictures or it didn't happen

That's one third of these launches that have allegedly gone wrong, with these and launches with payloads that are secret I want to know what they're doing up there. There seems to be a lot of launches within the last couple of years

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   
The problem isn't that NASA is wasting money. The problem is our monetary system and the fact that we have to borrow our money into existence. Otherwise NASA's missions would be looked upon as economic stimulus and scientific advancement. The fact is that most satelitte launches are successful so NASA's efforts are not completely wasted. Could they do better? Of course, but that could be said about every organization on the scale of NASA.

Heck, if NASA were forthcoming about what they know, then it just may turn out that we are getting a pretty nice return for our money. Hard to judge secret programs because, well, because they are secret.

I also think it is comical that very time someone fails at something, you have all these people come and start talking about how they shouldn't even exist in the first place. you could look at alot of post here on ATS and easily surmise that because so many idiots come here, that ATS shouldn't really exist either. You have to judge both good and bad and in todays world, a bit of good can make dealing with a bunch of bad bearable.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by nerbot

Originally posted by Ear-Responsible

And I'd rather they let their HUGE funding go towards something that benefits those who really need it down here on this ball of dirt.

Damn scientists and soldiers, self perpetuating meddlers.

I'm offended by this statement, as both a US Navy Sailor, and an anthropologist, which is arguably a science and not in the humanities.

Regardless, NASA has thousands of success stories. Their research benefits the planet, not just Americans. To bash them is ignorant. Could you do better? If so, write them an algorithm that's flawless. It's not just "another routine procedure". We don't fire satellites up at the same spot every time. It has to be carefully calculated where it's going so that it doesnt hit another satellite. And that's just one part of the launch/mission.

In a nutshell, if you could do better, good job! I'd really be interested in seeing your PhD in astrophysics or Jet Propulsion from MIT. But if not, or if you do not have these required degrees, shut your mouth until you understand entirely what you're talking about.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   
China shot it down.

No space for you!

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   
I does seem like a huge waste of money though, I feel like we havent had this many launch failures since the 60's.

I smell a conspiracy!

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver
It happens.

Why is it people always want to talk about NASA failures and yet they don't care about the success stories.

Sucks this didn't go up but sometimes things just happen. You have any idea what is involved when launching these things?

Yes, I have some idea. You would think NASA could launch a simple rocket, after all these years of doing so? Did it occur to anyone that the rocket may have been targeted? Perhaps by some unknown factor?

I am just one man. but I happen to think there is a strict quarantine on launching weapons into orbit. There are already 900 to 1300, depending on the source, satellites in orbit around Earth. Look here:

UCS Satellite Database
www.ucsusa.org...

How Many Satellites Are Orbiting the Earth?
That's a lot of satellites, wonder how may are owned by the Military of several nuclear powers? And wonder if there are any nuclear powered, or nuclear armed satellites there are?

U.S. ORBITS NUCLEAR WEAPONS PLATFORM

There are a great many intelligence satellites too, they can watch out every move in real time, with near perfect clarity and facial recognition software that can track and pin point a person in a matter of minutes.

Military Intelligence Satellites

Air Force Launches Advanced New Military Satellite

Big Machines Parked in Orbit

The point is, our space has been weaponized, behind out backs, we have paid for this with our taxes. I think TPTB are trying to defend Earth from some kind of incoming force, perhaps the Annunaki. There has been much talk about Eris/Nibiry in this board of late, and it stands to intelligent reason the Annunaki could fly from their home base to Earth in spacecraft, and they used before when they were here. I'm just saying.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Contingecy news conference: www.youtube.com...

Seems like the poblem was with the new mechanism they used for fairing separation.

But yes, I would've thought they wouldn't allow simple things like this to happen. It's the second launch failure for Taurus rocket in a row, and 3rd altogether.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join