It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ban on wearing face veils to come into effect April despite concerns...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 05:43 AM
link   

Ban on wearing face veils to come into effect April despite concerns

source

French authorities will begin enforcing a new ban on wearing full Islamic veils in public in April, officials said Thursday. Women wearing coverings that hide the face will be asked to remove them or pay a fine.

As it should be. Move to another culture, adopt their ways, live by their laws, or, go home.

But now, read on...

Officials say the law is mainly symbolic and police will not call in every veiled woman they see to avoid stigmatizing Muslims.

So, you’ve got the law, buttttttttt, you’re not going to enforce it because you don’t want to stigmatize the people who are breaking the law.

Is that just insane or what???

Read on more...

"Nobody is allowed, in a public space, to wear a garment designed to conceal their face,"

So, if I went to France and wrapped a scarf around my face, more a carnival mask or ducked under my hoodie? You can bet I would be picked out of a crowd to be arrested - or - compelled to show my face... But not Muslim women over the fear of targeting Muslim women, who the law was made for in the first place???

Sure, the article goes on to say less than 3,000 women in France wear full veils, but, that isn’t the point is it?

The point is a law was created, and even before it’s implemented politicians are bowing and scrapping over the law, public apologies are already in place and police officials are promising to soft-pedal enforcement - if they will enforce it at all.

And why?

Hmmmm... Could it be because they're... Muslims?

It’s getting nuts people. Absolutely nuts...

peace
edit on 4-3-2011 by silo13 because: nneds more peace

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 05:57 AM
link   
Yes...the constant "bla bla bla Muslims" threads are getting nuts...absolutely nuts.

Christians need to chill and go back to church and leave everyone else alone.
edit on 4-3-2011 by Jefferton because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 05:59 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

The whole damned world seems to have gone mad. I just shake my head.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 06:04 AM
link   
I live just north of Toulouse. This city has a very large percentage of Muslims living in it. I think, in the 8 years I have lived here, I have seen very few face veils. The head scarf seems to be the preferred fashion.
As far as the Muslim population goes, it is a minute minority that try to ram it down your throat. The rest just want to keep thier heads down and make a living.

Full face coverings in sensitivr areas, however, should be banned regardless of faith.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 06:08 AM
link   
What is the point in doing this to other human beings who believe they got a right to wear what they want whenever they want. All we can expect from this is rioting in france and then when that happens we in UK will also experience rioting because these muslim are like sheep they follow each other as we have all learned from egypt' libya and other countries that have experienced civil unrest.
It seems that other governments are trying to get these people (MUSLIMS) to riot so that THEY can create a situation where they can be controlled and make other ordinary people of the UK and the USA hate muslims, Muslims are human being like the rest of us, governments make them out to be terrorists when in fact it is the governments of UK and USA and others that are the real terrorists.
edit on 4-3-2011 by dellbboytrotter because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-3-2011 by dellbboytrotter because: SPELLING MISTAKES SORRY

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 06:21 AM
link   
Is the CCTV coverage in France as vast as it is in the UK? If so I would assume its just using the muslims as a scapegoat for the police state policy of not wanting anyone to cover their face so they can determine who everyone on camera is through facial recognition software.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 06:26 AM
link   
reply to post by JizzyMcButter

No where near as extensive. However, in the city centres we have a group of hoods called the CRS. They dress in military style jumpsuits and carry big sticks and guns. Most over them are well over 6' and weigh in at over 200lbs. They never move around without at least 3 of them and tend to strike first and ask after.
People tend not to argue with them.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Oh yay, another anti Muslim propaganda thread!

Ooooh the Abaya is soo bad oooh! How scary!

Some people need to really get over their bull [snip] prejudices and bigotry.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 06:54 AM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

I don't think so. I get the impression that the OP is just adressing the PC of Government. At least I hope that is the aim. As I said above, the majority of Muslims, just like anyone else, just want to keep thier heads down and get on with life without any hassle. Except my neighbour, who will insist on letting himself in through my front door and making the most wonderful minicakes for me, all covered in sweet honey. God bless him.

Just a side note to that. Him, and his wife, are devout Muslims. They lead a relativley good western style of llife that does not conflict with their faith. They are good honest people and would help anyone in distress. Which reminds me of an incident I had a few years back. One cold, wet, dark morning, I took a tumble from my motorbike. All the cars rolled past, the drivers just staring as I tried to lift the bike (I was unhurt but pinned under it). The ONLY car to stop was driven by a young Algerian Muslim gentleman. Who could not have been more helpful. Christian charity?????
edit on 4/3/2011 by TheLoneArcher because: Added Text

edit on 4/3/2011 by TheLoneArcher because: Spelling

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 06:56 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

[color=dodgerblue]

As it should be. Move to another culture, adopt their ways, live by their laws, or, go home.

I agree. You shouldn't relocate to another and country and expect everyone there to give you special treatment. You can be sure that if I made an international move, I would learn the language and customs before I moved. If I didn't prefer the culture, I would reconsider moving at all and search for a more suitable location.

So, you’ve got the law, buttttttttt, you’re not going to enforce it because you don’t want to stigmatize the people who are breaking the law. Is that just insane or what???

Yes it is. Why go through the trouble of creating a law that no one wants to enforce?
edit on 4-3-2011 by daryllyn because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 07:28 AM
link   
I have to laugh at some of the replies here, really.
This has NOTHING to do with being ANTI Muslim.

Once again let me state my point as obviously the first handful of posters missed it.

Where else would you find a law made and even before it’s imposed you’ve got politicians backpedaling, the cops already admitting they’ll not enforce the law upon the very peoples the law was meant for?

THAT is the point and the issue.

That many of you want to take this anti-Muslim propaganda and the views of Christians or whatever? You’re not only failing to see the point to the thread but you’re derailing it in the mean time...

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 07:36 AM
link   
reply to post by TheLoneArcher

I don't think so. I get the impression that the OP is just adressing the PC of Government.

Exactly. That the laws were aimed at Muslims is secondary to the thread intent.

But doesn't it make you think? I mean really?

I'm a politician.
I make a law.
But for whatever reason (and the reasons are what I'm driving to find here) - even before the law is implemented I crawl on my belly to the MSM and apologize assuring the very group the law is targetting that I really will not enforce it anyway...

If that doesn't make people scratch their heads I dunno what will.

peace

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 07:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Jefferton

Yes...the constant "bla bla bla Muslims" threads are getting nuts...absolutely nuts.

Yeah, thank goodness this isn't one of those threads but actually a thread that exposes the injustice of law and the idiots creating it.

Thanks anyway,

peace

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Oh man I can't wait for the first time the French police bust up a wedding ceremony and arrest the bride for wearing a veil.

Christians and their odd face covering religious rituals eh?
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e278f6c8e126.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 07:44 AM
link   
reply to post by JizzyMcButter

Is the CCTV coverage in France as vast as it is in the UK? If so I would assume its just using the muslims as a scapegoat for the police state policy of not wanting anyone to cover their face so they can determine who everyone on camera is through facial recognition software.

So that's what it is - now that makes a lot more sense.
It also explains all the back peddling by the police and politicians.
So, it's your belief they're using Muslim women to help with problem groups.
I'd tend to agree, only, there is already a law in place in France (sic) that it's illegal to cover your face (fully) in public.
So, maybe this is just backing up the 'other' law?

Thanks tons
peace

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 07:48 AM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

LOL, am I glad you added that, not only did this thread need to lighten up a bit but honestly, I did some of my own pack peddling and took out a little blurb about how the 'Goth' brides-to-be in France must ticked.

Along those lines though - that the article did say there are only some 3000 Muslim women in France it sounds as if this new law has been created to give police a valid lawful reason to stop and search someone - let's say a 6"6 250lb Muslim woman - or Goth Bride - carrying a big stick and wearing combat boots.

Thanks & Peace

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 07:53 AM
link   
I guess they will use it like they use hundreds of other laws on the books that are made and then mostly ignored, as an excuse to arrest someone that they really want to but hasn't actually done anything bad enough to be arrested.

Just a thought but hundreds of the recent protesters in London could have been arrested using this law.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by silo13
But for whatever reason (and the reasons are what I'm driving to find here) - even before the law is implemented I crawl on my belly to the MSM and apologize assuring the very group the law is targetting that I really will not enforce it anyway...

If I had to guess, the reason would be to minimize the obligatory outrage of the radical muslim. We're all familiar with this small percentage getting all whipped up over trivialities like cartoons and such. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

I think that if someone wants to keep their face covered, let them. I occasionally see muslim women here in Daytona with their faces covered, though more often with just the head scarf, here in Daytona. They don't scare me at all.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by subject x

If I had to guess, the reason would be to minimize the obligatory outrage of the radical muslim. We're all familiar with this small percentage getting all whipped up over trivialities like cartoons and such. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Yes, it will be interesting.

As for your point of veils - no fear, I agree.

If radical groups of any kind really intended on doing harm? There're a lot easier and more proficient ways than tying explosives to a woman wearing a headdress.

peace

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jefferton
Christians need to chill and go back to church and leave everyone else alone.

Rofl, I know plenty of Atheists against Islam. Jew's too. And even some Hindu's.

Originally posted by whatukno
Oh yay, another anti Muslim propaganda thread!

It's only propaganda if it isn't true. So take off those rose tinted glasses of yours and you'll see (especially in Europe) that Islam is indeed a threat.

Bottom line: The truth hurts. It won't let itself be twisted and contorted to become politically correct.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join