It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PFC Manning Forced To Strip Naked

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 04:40 AM
link   

PFC Manning Forced to Strip Naked

Last night, PFC Manning was inexplicably stripped of all clothing by the Quantico Brig. He remained in his cell, naked, for the next seven hours. At 5:00 a.m., the Brig sounded the wake-up call for the detainees. At this point, PFC Manning was forced to stand naked at the front of his cell. The Duty Brig Supervisor (DBS) arrived shortly after 5:00 a.m. When he arrived, PFC Manning was called to attention. The DBS walked through the facility to conduct his detainee count. Afterwards, PFC Manning was told to sit on his bed. About ten minutes later, a guard came to his cell to return his clothing. This type of degrading treatment is inexcusable and without justification. It is an embarrassment to our military justice system and should not be tolerated. PFC Manning has been told that the same thing will happen to him again tonight. No other detainee at the Brig is forced to endure this type of isolation and humiliation.

Source

edit on 4-3-2011 by smthngmssnghr because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 04:45 AM
link   
reply to post by smthngmssnghr

I agree that this was stupid and unnecessary. But if you've ever been in service, you spend a lot of time naked with a whole lot of other guys in the showers, so it wasn't all that traumatic.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 04:53 AM
link   
I don't see this helping the situation, unless this had a medical, hygienic application.

This is cruel and unusual punishment.

If this were even scientific and experimental in aim it reeks of disgrace.

Clearly Manning has been compliant since he was detained, so this is the next level of forcing shame?

Is this an extraordinary confession tactic or what? It's up there with Abu Ghraib and Guantanamo, as WikiLeaks points out.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 06:13 AM
link   
I could Care less what happens to the Traitor. We have a system with in the military for what he did. He never had to give any thing out side C.I.D or the military Police. We take care of our own we are at war and he needs to be Shot for Treason if we could do it to the Rosenburg's than we Should do it to him.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Wait....that's it? That's all they did? Come ON! I've been through more degrading things than that just because I was a boot. And I look back on it as character building. The Marine Corps ain't nothin' but a war fighting fraternity.

Basically what I'm saying is that what happened to him is clown shoes compared to what they could have done. And probably gotten away with.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by smthngmssnghr

He threatened to hang himself with his underwear....so they took his clothes away, else some compassionate leftist accuse the US of allowing him to hang himself.

Personally...install a well supported pipe across his cell and the give him some rope.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Traitors cover up war crimes.
Patriots expose war crimes.
America needs more PFC Mannings.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Anyone who has been to Ranger School SERE School or the Q Course has endured greater indignity - what a douche bag!

For that matter so have most pledges at a fraternity....

The kid is a traitor and if he did it on principle then he eats the whole elephant so to speak be a man - he knew the states, he signed the non-disclosure agreements and indicated he understood the penalties for his actions.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Seeing as the majority of posters so far seem to think PFC Manning is an evil villian I'll play the devils advocate and argue the other side. Seeing as there's an almost total news black out on the war in Iraq and Afghanistan (unlike the majority of wars we've had) I 'd say he's done everyone a favour by shedding some light on wars our so called democratic leaders seem intent on keeping us all in the dark about - good for him and hope he gets out one day.

First post so go easy on me guys

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 07:52 PM
link   
media black out? lol.. what the media tells you is whats going on lol.. I know I've been their there isn't much going on were almost out of iraq and were still dug into afgan what else is new. kill the kid and get it over with

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Reaper2137
media black out? lol.. what the media tells you is whats going on lol.. I know I've been their there isn't much going on were almost out of iraq and were still dug into afgan what else is new. kill the kid and get it over with

yes murder him. Thats always the answer.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Not suprising. While I agree with what Wikileaks stands for, and that they want to release the dirty laundry of governments, and while I agree with what private Manning did, and morally agree with what he did, and the purpose behind it, he did in fact commit treason.

He gave away classified military information, as a current member of our military. Shouldn't have gotten caught. We need to find a way to make government more transparent, and increasingly hold them accountable, but we can't allow state/military workers to steal information and sell it/give it away. Same goes for companies. What if intel got into the wrong hands? What if employess.members of th emilitary started looking to make deals with foreign agents? I expect governments to protect themselves, as much as I disagree with the current state of government.

Shouldn't have gotten caught. What's the number one rule for a spy? Don't get caught.
edit on 9-3-2011 by MysticPearl because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by MysticPearl

Got to agree with that, if you're going to steal info off American army computers probably best not to brag about it on an IM sevice to a hacker. You just don't know who you're chatting to online kids !! I've got a feeling he'll end up a martyr to an large number of non-US citizens what ever happens to him.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots

That is what you get for treason he had things he could have done.. he didn't its on him you don't join the military commit treason and than think your going to be safe in a time of WAR. Don't do the Crime if you cannot do the Punishment. he is getting it pretty light but bottom line he should be shot by firing line or hung or both.

You let people think they can comment Treason and get away with it your sending the wrong message to your troops.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   

I could Care less what happens to the Traitor. We have a system with in the military for what he did. He never had to give any thing out side C.I.D or the military Police. We take care of our own we are at war and he needs to be Shot for Treason if we could do it to the Rosenburg's than we Should do it to him.

So what does stripping him naked for 7 hours accomplish? This is the "system of the military" of which you speak? That even those charged deserve humiliation? That being charged exempts one from humanitarian treatment or relinquishes his rights as a human or even as prisoner?

You seem to imply that because of what he did any treatment of him is justified, regardless of legality, or that the "system" justifies and condones such actions, actions which have no relevance to any charges or anything at all? Might as well pull out his toenails. Or force him to rub lotion all over his naked body.

Simply revenge, is what you're saying? "Ah, he's a traitor, in military custody, let 'em do what they want he deserves it?"

It's simply personal and not grounded in legal or ethical principle and anyone who supports it would be better of in a fascist or dictatorial regime.

Thinking like that is, in large part what is wrong with many things in the country and the system, when people fail to see the issue of right and wrong, the rule of law and due process (even in the military) and wish to see their own personal vigilant justice (under the guide of "humiliation") served. "That's what he gets." BS

And the military system legally condones this (according to your view)?

Thinking like this disgusts me, and it has no basis in a democratic society, thinking that undermines the rule of law and right and wrong for the accused.

And i have little else to say or argue.

~

Aside: Man, what the heck is wrong with people? Thinking like this is precisely WHY we have as many problems as we do and why nothing gets solved.

*shakes head*

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Liquesence

So what does stripping him naked for 7 hours accomplish? This is the "system of the military" of which you speak? That even those charged deserve humiliation? That being charged exempts one from humanitarian treatment or relinquishes his rights as a human or even as prisoner?

You seem to imply that because of what he did any treatment of him is justified, regardless of legality, or that the "system" justifies and condones such actions, actions which have no relevance to any charges or anything at all? Might as well pull out his toenails. Or force him to rub lotion all over his naked body.

Simply revenge, is what you're saying? "Ah, he's a traitor, in military custody, let 'em do what they want he deserves it?"

It's simply personal and not grounded in legal or ethical principle and anyone who supports it would be better of in a fascist or dictatorial regime.

Thinking like that is, in large part what is wrong with many things in the country and the system, when people fail to see the issue of right and wrong, the rule of law and due process (even in the military) and wish to see their own personal vigilant justice (under the guide of "humiliation") served. "That's what he gets." BS

And the military system legally condones this (according to your view)?

Thinking like this disgusts me, and it has no basis in a democratic society, thinking that undermines the rule of law and right and wrong for the accused.

And i have little else to say or argue.

~

Aside: Man, what the heck is wrong with people? Thinking like this is precisely WHY we have as many problems as we do and why nothing gets solved.

*shakes head*

that's right it has no basis in a democratic society but when you enlist in the military you give up your rights. its right there in the contract that he signed. you give up alot of your rights. end of story. he is being treated fairly just because not every one is in the public spotlight doesn't mean it doesn't happen to other people.

I think they should have just shot him and been done with it. sends a great message we are not public we are not democratic in the military. We have our own Laws we have our own Rules we have our own way of doing things.

When you jump passed the system and go that far out just to commit treason. You get what you have coming to you. He is being treated just fine the same as other people in the prison's the military runs for its own. I could think of a-lot of codes that he broke.

889. 89. Disrespect toward superior commissioned officer
892. 92. Failure to obey order or regulation.
898. 98. Noncompliance with procedural rules.
904. 104. Aiding the enemy.
888. 88. Contempt toward officials.
906. 106. Spies.
ART. 106a. ESPIONAGE

(a)

(1) Any person subject to this chapter who, with intent or reason to believe that it is to be used to the injury of the United States or to the advantage of a foreign nation, communicates, delivers, or transmits, or attempts to communicate, deliver, or transmit, to any entity described in paragraph (2), either directly or indirectly, any thing described in paragraph (3) shall be punished as a court-martial may direct, except that if the accused is found guilty of an offense that directly concerns

(A) nuclear weaponry, military spacecraft or satellites, early warning systems, or other means of defense or retaliation against large scale attack,

(B) war plans,

(C) communications intelligence or cryptographic information, or

(D) any other major weapons system or major element of defense strategy, the accused shall be punished by death or such other punishment as a court-martial may direct.

(2) An entity referred to in paragraph (1) is--

(A) a foreign government;

(B) a faction or party or military force within a foreign country, whether recognized or unrecognized by the United States

(C) a representative, officer, agent, employee, subject, or citizen of such government, faction, party, or force.

(3) A thing referred to in paragraph (1) is a document, writing, code book, signal book, sketch, photograph, photographic negative, blueprint, plan, map, model, note, instrument, appliance or information relating to the national defense.

(b)

(1) No person may be sentenced by court-martial to suffer death for an offense under this section (article) unless--

(A) the members of the court-martial unanimously find at least one of the aggravating factors set out in subsection (c); and

(B) the members unanimously determine that any extenuating or mitigating circumstances are substantially outweighed by any aggravating circumstances, including the aggravating factors set out under subsection (c).

(2) Findings under this subsection may be based on--

(A) evidence introduced on the issue of guilt or innocence;

(B) evidence introduced during the sentencing proceeding; or

(C) all such evidence.

(3) The accused shall be given broad latitude to present matters in extenuation and mitigation.

(c) A sentence of death may be adjudged by a court-martial for an offense under this section (article) only if the members unanimously find, beyond a reasonable doubt, one or more of the following aggravating factors:

(1) The accused has been convicted of another offense involving espionage or treason for which either a sentence of death or imprisonment for life was authorized by statute.

(2) In the commission of the offense, the accused knowingly created a grave risk of substantial damage to the national security.

(3) In the commission of the offense, the accused knowingly created a grave risk of death to another person.

(4) Any other factor that may be prescribed by the President by regulations under section 836 of this title (Article 36).

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   

That is what you get for treason he had things he could have done.. he didn't its on him you don't join the military commit treason and than think your going to be safe in a time of WAR. Don't do the Crime if you cannot do the Punishment. he is getting it pretty light but bottom line he should be shot by firing line or hung or both.

You let people think they can comment Treason and get away with it your sending the wrong message to your troops.

Never mind that both wars are ILLEGAL. Nobody from Iraq or Afghanistan has attacked our country. What have they done to deserve our bullets, bombs, rape, torture, and hate? Show me the attack on American ground that gives us the right to wage war on those people.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Abu Ghraib is alive and well. Now those guys were TRAITORS!

What a crock! This man is NOT a traitor...he chose to let We The People know some of the dirty little secrets our government is involved in, god forbid he shouldn't have. All governments are so paranoid that when their truths come out...and believe me eventually they will...that it is "ammo" for other governments in the world. Try using honesty as an approach and people like this kid wouldn't be needed.

If he did threaten to commit suicide...there are other methods for his safety than humiliation...then, humiliation is the only method these military animals understand...

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   
He was stripped because of the suicide threat.....no big deal.

Hope he never sees the light of day again.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by groingrinder

Never mind that both wars are ILLEGAL. Nobody from Iraq or Afghanistan has attacked our country. What have they done to deserve our bullets, bombs, rape, torture, and hate? Show me the attack on American ground that gives us the right to wage war on those people.

Which has nothing to do with the case of manning weather they were illegal or not he did the crime now he has to pay for it.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join