It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

bring back ignore

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   
i started to post this in the suggestions / complaints thread but thought this might be better.

i ask that the ignore option be brought back. the reason i ask for this is because after seeing several threads, the most recent thread was yesterday. i was on a thread where one member got upset at another for some reason or the other, that's not the point, the point is some members know how to push other people button's. and they will keep on doing this just to have fun at a member's expensive or even to keep up a from of ridicule. which in turn causes the offended to keep tiring to counter( and i'm just gonna use this word as a generic term) heckler.
and then several may things happen, mods come in and censor post, mod's post all kind's of warings, with these two you may wind up with whole pages with nothing but warnings and censor posts, the mod's might close thread, or the thread might die. which in some cases is sad because they might have devolped in to a decent thread.

in the past when we had the ignore button i could put members who where squabbling back and forth on the list and then could see the thread, with out being distracted.

just a thought and wondering if any body else missed the ignore button.
edit on 3-3-2011 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   
An ignore button on a site that is susposed about hearing differing views?

As much as some of the people here truly discust me I would never ignore them......Know thy enemy

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
I have only come across 1 or 2 members that I would think of using the ignore feature on, but they are out there. There are members who are very good at trolling within the TOC, at baiting, and at ruining threads without ever actually discussing them. Those are the ones I would gladly ignore.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by lastrebel

when people are just back and forth making snide comments.
thats not a discussion, that a distraction

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   
and if a memeber wanted to avoid a squabble.
they could put the one they wanted to ignore on the list
and continue to post with out any distractions

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by hounddoghowlie

I agree that it is hard when people are just bickering, or someone is just hounding someone. But thats what the "alert" feature is for.

The ignore button is anti-ATS. Putting your head in the sand and refusing to even look at something is ignorance in a nutshell. Just fast forward over their posts, alert them if they are really being off topic or disrupting, and keep an open mind.

I have been schooled a time or two about something by someone whose posts I normally loathe. Even someone you dislike can have something to say that you need to hear.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   

I may be the first to post this suggestion:

As I understand the concept, since "Ignore" is no longer....the proper procedure for you is to "Alert!" the post....preferably the one (or two) that might have begun the inter-personal tirades.

The ATS staff is up to about six dozen people, now. (NO 'bots, yet....LOL!). (**)....wonder if "Watson" will work for free?? In-between stints on "Jeopardy!"....second thought, nah!

By using the alert feature, the distracting exchanges will be stopped much sooner....hence, "Ignore" is no longer necessary.

Brilliant, eh??

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

"Great minds", and all that! Heh!!
edit on 3 March 2011 by weedwhacker because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

in reading the posts, first i must admit, i have posted a little rant once or twice my self.
and i have use the alert option once. didn't like it. made me feel like a informant after wards.
you see some thing tell some body, you know like the dhs bulletins. thats just not for me.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Have you thought of Alert in a different way??

Say you read a thread OP, or a post, that really appeals to you.....you can "alert" it with a note to that effect, and possibly generate an "Applause!" for that member, from a Mod or FSME.

Win/Win....."Alert" doesn't have to mean "bad", or "tattletale"....but, to add more to your point...my impression is, it is very much appreciated by the Admin and staff, here. THEY don't want THEIR "house" soiled by tracked-in dirt.....there isn't a digital version of a "Roomba" (sort of a robotic Hoover, for any who don't know) yet, and there are a lot of posts to review, manually.....
edit on 3 March 2011 by weedwhacker because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   
I like Weedwhackers suggestion to consider alert as a positive as well as a negative thing to do.

My personal feeling is that alert should be used sparingly, (after all you are putting the mods to work, so be considerate of their time) and only for clear and egregious violations. People get hot and say stuff, I save alert for situations I feel are harming someone in the moment.. Im not going to hit the alert button because someone says my hero is a moron, and hurts my feelings. But if several people are picking on one person in thread and calling them a moron, I am probably going to hit alert even if I personally dont like the person who is being picked on.

Dont do anything in the privacy of the "alert" button you wouldnt do openly to the persons face, and you wont lose your integrity.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   
I have only read the title and first line of your thread...
I AGREE WITH YOU AND BEG FOR THE IGNORE
FEATURE TO BE PUT BACK.
I have a member or two I would like to ignore sometimes.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by mamabeth

You do know you can ignore people without a button by just skipping over their posts, right?

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   

I know,there is just something about hitting the ignore
button that gives you a little thrill.
Revenge is sooo sweet on the other side of the screen.
Then,I will have a senior moment and forget why I put
that member on ignore.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

never thought about tring to get a applause for a post or thread, good point.
i just do like most and flag it.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   

i've tried skipping post like you said.
but there two members that seem to be on at the same time, every time.
that when they get started, they will take up whole pages, with long drawn out post.
line for line. and take turns doing it to who ever post they pick.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   

If this repetative bickering all over the place is really getting you down, then you may have to do a little leg work. Simply make a note of the threads and pages on which this running battle has taken place, and alert the mods to the sum total of these useless " contributions " to the content of the site.
I for one take my personal contributions to the site pretty damned seriously in terms of quality , so I can understand your ire at the waste of site space that such a huge feud would represent, but that in mind, it is perhaps worth pointing out , that in this situation it really ought to be the moderators who deal with the culprits. An ignore button cannot reveal such a devastating waste of time and space to the moderators, and allow them to do thier jobs and tidy up the mess. All it would be is a sticking plaster on a full on arterial jet, if the problem is truely as large as you say.
I would definitely urge you to contact a moderator on this particular issue.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by mamabeth

Lol. See its better you dont get an ignore button. You never know when that person may have a conversion, and write a long post saying "Mamabeth is a genius and I was such a fool for having doubted her!" You would miss it just because of the ignore button.

Ok, maybe that is unlikely, but there are a couple people on here I used to find just maddening, and now I quite enjoy them. It takes time to see a human being in their full brilliance, and often times people you disagree with on one level share something in common with you on another.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Oh I hated the ignore button.

Just because I didn’t like what a member said in one thread or forum, doesn’t mean that I don’t like their view on another forum or thread.

If anything each posts needs an show /hide button.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Whateva69

Thats not a bad idea at all.

I cant think of a down side to that except for the overlords having to code it in.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Maybe,some members still have the ignore feature
for their accounts.
That would explain why I never read a thread about my
brilliant mind and thoughts

top topics

<<   2 >>

join