It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Empathy can sometimes be pretty funny...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
I've always considered myself somewhat empathic (i.e. I can feel what others feel), especially with my wife.
She's a chronic pain patient, and I'll often know when she's in a lot of pain (and where), even though miles away.

On a recent trip though, this was actually kind of funny. We were separated, and she was off with some of our friends, while I was in the cabin. She was partaking of a particular substance....one she hasn't done in many, many years. Personally (and somewhat sadly, this same substance has, in the couple of times I've tried it, done NOTHING to me)...

Anyhow, I start to feel really weird. Eventually, she comes back to the cabin, and sees me laying down on my side (which I rarely do). She looks at me and says, "What's wrong?". I answer (without even thinking), "I don't know, but my right side feels heavier than my left side...and no, I don't know why..." She just busts out laughing. I feel all light-headed, etc., and then she tells me what she just did.

At least I thought it was pretty funny. A completely different kind of "contact high", no?

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   
I have had similar experiences, and yes, it can be humorous. It can also be quite scary though, when you dont know what it is you are feeling.

I had someone very close to me who did, shall we say, a hallucinogen. She was 15 miles away. I literally sat there tripping for a good 20 minutes until for some reason I had an inclination to contact her, which I did, and she explained what she was on.

Afterwards I had a good laugh, but until I knew what was going on, I was absolutely panicked.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

I was almost there. We were on a ship, so I kind of at first thought maybe I was a little seasick or something (even though I've never been sick at sea, even in smaller boats). Heck, I'm a Coast Guard brat too, so c'mon, right?

I can honestly say I've never felt that same strangeness before or since though...

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Although I have posted this video in many replies, it offers physical evidence of how we are all connected.

edit on 3-3-2011 by SystemResistor because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Very funny story! thanks for sharing!
I have experienced this before. I am very empathetic to people's emotions. A blessing and curse.

Once when I was 6 i was sleeping on the couch at home, and my sister was riding her bike, and fell off and dislocated her shoulder.
I suddenly woke up and started screaming and ran to the kitchen to tell my mom that my sister was hurt outside.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Gazrok...you and your wife share a special bond...

Many people that are empaths will feel the energy that each of us has...those of us that are ill will not be as strong as those that are healthy, but none the less, until the day we draw our last breath our aura will prevail with a little tweak of the chakras here and there...

My daughter is an empath...she avoids hospitals like the plague...it physically pains her to be around those that are suffering. I think it has to do with her innocence and trust. There are also times that I have had reactions to those I am around as well.

Thanks for sharing that story with us.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Holly N.R.A.

Many people that are empaths will feel the energy that each of us has...those of us that are ill will not be as strong as those that are healthy, but none the less, until the day we draw our last breath our aura will prevail with a little tweak of the chakras here and there...

My daughter is an empath...she avoids hospitals like the plague...it physically pains her to be around those that are suffering. I think it has to do with her innocence and trust. There are also times that I have had reactions to those I am around as well.

I have sever issues in hospitals. I have a very hard time stepping into them, and have anxiety attacks in them. I always equated it to all the pain that happens in a hospital...I wouldnt doubt its the same with your daughter.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 12:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots

Originally posted by Holly N.R.A.

I have sever issues in hospitals. I have a very hard time stepping into them, and have anxiety attacks in them. I always equated it to all the pain that happens in a hospital...I wouldnt doubt its the same with your daughter.

Yes, you are right..the pain is a factor as well. Sometimes this gift can be a "pain" in its self...and there are ways to shield ones self from the effects. She's still working on it.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 01:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Well since she's your wife you are quantum entangled I guess so stuff like this is bound to happen

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Holly N.R.A.

Yeah...hospitals are BAD... I always feel like total crap coming out of them..... Maybe now she'll get it more, as to why I can't stand to go into them. I need to feel like I'm dying before I even go into a doctor's office.

Yet, I love theme parks, as it's a big collection of people who are all feeling great...what a rush that is!

top topics

join