It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange UFO Coin from 1680 Puzzles the Experts

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Here's a more recent one. What is Lady Liberty (Persephone) holding down with her foot? I don't think it is a rock.

2010 American Golden Eagle

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/49c93e67e997.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by timewalker
Here's a more recent one. What is Lady Liberty (Persephone) holding down with her foot? I don't think it is a rock.

2010 American Golden Eagle

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/49c93e67e997.jpg[/atsimg]

I dunno.... Thats a stretch.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by monkeySEEmonkeyDO

Yeah, maybe. But that's what we do here at ATS is stretch. If it's a rock it sure is saucer shaped. When I first saw the coin a few years back, that's the first thing that came to mind.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shamatt
I couldn't say exatly what this is, but those very stupid examples of what it myght be from the sceptics really bug me. What is it with these people that they have to make up such incredibly unreasonable stories? A mushroom for gods sake? Are these people really so afraid of what the truth may be that they are willing to look like fools suggesting that these unexplained things are so mundane, and so very completely unlikely? They ust be stupid.

I don't know what is on the cion, but if I had to make a guess I would say it was a representation of the flying shield. Seems most likely. Although I would rather think it was a UFO, I don't see any corroborating evidence in history which would surly exists if a UFO event big enough for this type of coin to be minted had occured.

This response isn't necessarily aimed at you Shamatt, but your post holds relevance to my forthcoming words so i quoted.

The thing that confuses me, and i may be wrong in assuming this, is that when people refer to the flying shield, they write it off as myth or in other words: not a UFO. We can get so lost in the literalism of words that we forget the other part, cognitive. Every noun is just a word, assigned by people to refer to an object with particular adjectives, which are also just man's words. So now that we know this why do we read any ancient text or evidence in a litteral form (the Bible included)? Surely we cannot understand the cognitive purpose of the language in a "definite" manner as none of us were alive to feel the cognitive relevance of the words.

Going from here, could the "flying shield" not be a ufo? Think about why they would use these words.

Flying: quite obvious, I doubt an explanation is necessary.

Sheild: v. to protect. or n. an object that protects.

So this object is one that can fly, and one that protects something. Surely a UFO of extraterrestrial origin would protect its occupants from anything the Romans or any "civilized" society would have had at the time.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Amazing what BS people will produce with some time.

In 1000 years you can only get so much information from looking at our coins.

Most of it's symbolic.
edit on 4-3-2011 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Whatever the reason/s for minting this coin, it or they must have been very important at the time, considering the work that would have gone into producing it. With what appears to be what we know as the most common depiction of a u.f.o. (flying saucer shape) on one side of the coin and a tree in full bloom on the other that could represent the "Tree of Life", perhaps the coin was in celebration of how there came to be life on Earth. Looking at the date makes me wonder if perhaps an alchemist got his hands on records that much like today's u.f.o. files, were being kept locked away from the public by the Roman Catholic Church. I haven't yet read all the posts pertaining to this thread, so my apologies if anything I've said is a repeat of other posts.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Clearly the same thing in these the UFO etc

The bottom one looks like some sort of fan sucking things up into it and again with the top pic its over what look like fields or even farm fields i'm guessing its something to do with farming farming was a big part of the culture and obviously very important to them back then one bad crop usually ment starvation and genral bad times maybe its a symbol for harvest, i have no idea tbh but somewhere along thos lines

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   
These coins are certianly interesting they also fall into the either way category and could be debated back and forth till hell freezes over, so i wouldnt put them on the alter of proof positive of et visitation.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by BRITWARRIOR

Good find! I still lean toward what I said about "seeding" the planet, especially since the "U.F.O's" appear to have representations of a phalus, underneath and pointing down to earth.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Good post as usual. It is quiete possible as the below link also suggests UFO specific information going back 4000 BC.

ANCIENT VIMANAS

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

That was just an umbrella!

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   
People will see what they want to see and ignore alternative explanations that don't support their preconceived agenda. Throughout visual depiction of religious beliefs we have seen all kinds of flying discs, burning suns, chariots of fire, trinity star and circle symbols so to me messages on coins from ancient times throughout the middle ages were communications of religion, the ruling class, and/or national pride. I'm quite sure modern eyes see what has been popularized as 'flying saucers' but the eyes of the times saw religious symbolism, just like in the paintings and cathedrals we see.

To me this interpretation is a more plausible explanation of what were looking at. An objective research into religious and state art representation through the ages would shed a more educated analysis of what we see, and being supported with the text seems to bear this alternative view as well.

Up until the great Renaissance art had strict religious symbolism and little to no non-religious art was permitted to be displayed in public. At the time of this coin a change was taking place even in Renaissance art from religious themes to state themes and eventually to the common man in the late 1800's. Finally around 1900 true non objective abstract art was publicly accepted and state restrictions apparently vanished forever.

What were seeing here is symbolism supported by a message in text to the public at large, and nothing else.

The so called expert might also never have thought to simply Google the golden age of European astronomy? IMO they are far from experts on anything.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Thats amazing...It's so funny how all these things point to advanced technology (leave out the green martians and everything) and people still don't want to accept it. When contact happens (if we don't blow each other up first) people will not be able to handle it because they've been programmed for so long to just shrug it off and let Will Smith deal with the aliens...

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by BRITWARRIOR
The bottom one looks like some sort of fan sucking things up into it and again with the top pic its over what look like fields or even farm fields i'm guessing its something to do with farming farming was a big part of the culture and obviously very important to them back then

Farming? Oh yeah I get it... as in crop circle makers?

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Hmm, the only thing I can think to add.

Flying shield sure seems like a whole lot better description of a UFO than flying saucer.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Ancient Macedonian Shield
There are some similarities.
But I have no idea why it would be flying.
Maybe to indicate that the powers that where protected the fields.
edit on 4-3-2011 by derpif because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   
It's Captain America's Sheild!!

lol sorry

Very cool coins. I never seen coins that depicted such features before. They remind of of what some has already posted... from the Hindu religion, I forget what they are called right now, I am having a brain fart lol.

Thank you for posting OP

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Great post OP...S&F for you

The inscription on the last coin is interesting
"several resists are overcome by a few"
At least that's what I get when I translate from Latin to English

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok

I'd say this example kind of nails it.
From this coin, it is pretty easy to make the sacred shield story stick...as here, it is protecting from the enemy's attack....

edit on 3-3-2011 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

i might disagree with you on this one, you are seeing those as arrows, i am seeing those as possibley trees, with something hovering above...........just a thought.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   
I've read through your argument and everybody else's on here. And, to me, It seems like it just might be the shield. Considering the area these coins were found, and the significance of the legend to the people. Also, the phrase about an "opportune time" kind of seals it for me, I mean, warfare was the way of the people then. For them to be grateful for a majestic shield that won a battle for them, would not be uncommon. I'm not being ignorant or anything of the sort. I came in with the intentions of wanting to believe it, but sadly, had my mind changed. But, in a sense, that much more grateful for the thread.

The Salad

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join