It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

72% of Grocery Carts Test Positive for Fecal Bacteria

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 12:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Aeons

Heh. One benefit of working in health care; seeing a sink causes a compulsive urge to scrub under water, then soap, then scrub for 20 seconds minimum, rinse, towel, get new towel, use it to turn off faucet.

And then do it all over again at the next sink you come to.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 12:45 AM
link   
The biggest culprit of all is handling of money

Just keep in mind, as much as this is all very well and good to build our immune systems, GMO and chemtrails come along and destroys all that good work of touching germs with new germs and chemicals thats destroys our immune defences.
edit on 4-3-2011 by bluemirage5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 12:48 AM
link   
I used to work in a pizza place, and we'd make the pizzas on these metal screens. Then put them on the cutting block once they're baked. Anyway, these screens would always fall on the floor. You know what we did when they fell on the floor? We put them deep in the oven to bake away the nasties. We never cleaned these screens. They had thick dirt on them. Anyway, now you know why I never ate there. I would make the food but never eat it. Where was the health department anyway? I bet they're still doing this there.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Bacteria isn't as bad as everyone makes them out to be. Yeah, when you think about it, it's really disgusting! My personal opinion, I feel the more bacteria exposure, the more your body creates a resistance to it. It's kind of like when you're allergic to a particular environmental substance like pollen. If you're body is slowly injected with small amounts of this allergen over time, your body will start to create a resistance to it. Which is why people with bad allergies get shots of the allergen over a period of a few years. I used to have really bad allergies to pollen. I remember in high school, teachers used to think I was on drugs because my eyes were always red when spring came around. Constant eye scratching kind of does that. They used to send me to the school nurse because kids would always laugh and tell the teacher I was smoking those funny looking cigarettes. After 3 years of pollen injections, you would never know I was extremely allergic to pollen. People who are always using anti-bacteria soap are really defeating the bodies own defense mechanisms. Here's an article on the subject...

Pathogenic Bacteria Resistant to Antibiotics

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 01:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Frogs

I always wipe down the handle and the 'seat' of a buggy and don't touch any other part of it. It must be said, people have their poopy butt kids sitting in the cart, runny nose, snotty hands, coughing and sneezing all over, I try to avoid even being on the same isle when I see a cart with a kid in it. People just don't give a dang and drag their sick children to the stores with them, letting them cough and sneeze in public, spreading germs. Then there was one day that I saw a baby reach into it's diaper and pull out poop, only to smear it all over the handle. I said something to the mother, that she should get a wipe and clean that up, the mom told me to mind my own business. So, for a long time now, I carry my own wipes thank you.

I am not the least bit suprised that e coli and fecal matter is on the carts.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 01:15 AM
link   
If nasty is basically everywhere, what's the point of trying to get rid of it?! Shouldn't we just focus on our internal defenses from nasty?!

That's what I do.

I don't wash my hands with soap, I take probiotics, vitamin-c, & vitamin-e.

I don't use mouthwash, I drink tea.

I think prevention should be natural, and what will be will be.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 01:24 AM
link   
reply to post by subject x

I did not laugh. At all.

On topic:

People, people, people. It is not just grocery carts that you have to look out for. Try taking a look at your own personal effects that you touch every day, like hmmm, your pants button and zipper that you touch right after using the toilet, and before washing your hands, your cell phone, your car keys, your steering wheel, your favorite pen that you always put in your mouth, your kids, your kids' toys, your keyboard, your mouse, your remote control, every door knob in your house, your shoes, I could go all day and night with this.

Point is, no matter what you touch, you are at risk of picking up some sort of bacteria.

Just wash your hands at various points through out the day, and you will be fine.

This is just hype, spreading paranoia about things that we have lived alongside of for as long as anyone can remember.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 01:27 AM
link   

Methinks this isn't just children sitting in the cart, but also a reflection of how few people wash their hands after a visit to the restroom. I see it all the time, men leaving a smelly, stink deposit in the toilet, and not even considering washing their hands afterwards. The most frequent place I see it? The gym. Disgusting
reply to post by MysticPearl

One of the worst things I think a woman ever sees is the inside of a woman's bathroom in public. No matter how clean it appears, a huge percentage of women wil piss on the seat or floor instead of sitting on a toilet seat, or even use the paper throw away seat covers. It's gross, I am a woman and I would never piss in the floor or on the seat as opposed to using the santitary seat cover, and I always wash my hands, and open the door with a piece of tissue.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 02:55 AM
link   
....i used to tell my wife, lets just go in, grab our sh!@ and go! Never again....

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 04:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Frogs
A recent test by the University of Arizona found that 72% of grocery carts tested positive for fecal bacteria and around 50% of those also contained E. Coli.

Typically they found more fecal bacteria on the grocery cart handles than is usually found in the store restrooms.

Carts one of dirtiest places in grocery store, study says

Gerba says 72% of the carts had a positive marker for fecal bacteria. When they examined some of the samples, they found Escherichia coli, also known as E. coli, on half of them.

Researchers say they actually found more fecal bacteria on grocery cart handles than you would typically find in a bathroom, mainly because bathrooms are disinfected more often than shopping carts.

This is because typically they wash the restroom down every often. But the carts are typically never washed.

I know I'm going to start taking some wipes with me when I go to the store now!

edit on 3-3-2011 by Frogs because: removed a comma

that's disgusting, i'll be takin anti-bactiria gel with me from now

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Whereweheaded
reply to post by no special characters

people are idiots and make comments like above.

People are idiots for taking necessary precautions? I think it would be you deemed an idiot that would suggest not trying to prevent the spreading of diseases...then have the audacity to suggest wearing a hazmat suit....your comments only solidify your ignorance!

Well I hadn't had any disease that I know of for the past 20 years and I see people like yourself that do take the "necessary precautions" get a flu every quarter or sometimes even more often......

just saying....

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Aeons

In 2003, a survey sponsored by the American Society of Microbiology (ASM, 2003) found that almost one-quarter (22.6%) of observed travelers (N = 7,541) passing through five major U.S. and one Canadian airport failed to wash their hands after using public washrooms

Here is my problem, this is a study of people passing through the airport. That doesn't mean they were American or Canadian, they could be anyone from anywhere.

I have an issue with anyone making a blanket categorization of an entire people, especially the Americans! Not because I think we are better than anyone but because the United States of America is made up of immigrants, every one of us came from somewhere else. Even the Native Americans crossed a land bridge to get here. My point being is you can't lump this entire nation into one stereotype if everyone in it came from somewhere else, can you? And every single state has a unique culture all it's own, for good or bad.

And bathroom habits are as varied as the individual.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join