It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reality shows created as a weapon to fuel hatred?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   
This is probably a huge "well DUH!" to most of you out there but just wanted to here what you all had to say.
I am convinced that these ( totaly stupid and cheesy- waste of time and intelligence) reality programs that have been so incredibly popular for some time now, have been placed and developed to spur hatred, disgust and anger toward our fellow Americans. Take for intance the 'Housewives' series- during this awful economic time, hundreds of people losing their homes daily, along with jobs and any means of supporting their families would 'they' dangle programs about a bunch of gold-digging, spoiled, lazy rich women who's biggest worry is who said what about whom? They not only target the wealthy (or supposedly wealthy) - but those with issues of severly obese weight, mental issues such as hoarding, twisted and weird addictions, and this new show about Americans with very twisted and disturbing mental problems including sexual-( sorry- I can't recall the name). It just seems to me that the light that is being shed on our neighbors (not really light- but rather a dark gloomy cloud). Yes- I do realize and totaly agree that there are people that have these problems - they are a very sad reality in their lives and some viewers may look at some of these stories as inspiration for themselves to get help for their situation- to better themselves and it may also give the viewers comfort in knowing that they are not alone. However, the only thing I have ever heard, ever, (unfortunatly) are comments on the disgust everyday people feel towards these people- utter disgust and contempt. The de-sensitisation toward our fellow man is working at full-speed. Please know, this entire post of mine is only an observance- I personaly do not harbor the deadly poison of hatred or negativity- it is truly poison to my soul- and I am very sad to see those that I love and care about allow even the tinniest amount of malice towards someone they don't even know- God loves everyone, and I mean EVERYONE- we are to do the same- unfortunatly we are under the handicap of being human with imperfect human thoughts and ideas. I personally cling to my knowing the promise of a time when evil will be completely null and void and we will be at peace.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by blessed1

[Staff Edit - redundant quote removed]

I agree they were created with a purpose, just not to invoke hatred.

I genuinely believe they were created to make or keep fans of these shows dumb and oblivious to everything else.

How often have you tried to discuss current events taking place in the world, only for someone you are speaking to to be oblivious to the subjects, and instead ask who your favourite is on Big Brother or Pop Idol?

I've got similar feelings over Facebook and Twitter.

It's like the Sims. You are playing or watching someone else play out lives in a reality show, rather than living their own life. Drifting aimlessly and ignorant to the real world and real events.

[Mod Edit - replaced quote with reply to tab]

Mod Edit: Big Quote – Please Review This Link.
edit on 3/3/2011 by Sauron because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   
I believe that reality shows were made for the same reason any other show is made:

Money.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   
These programs are meant to be seen to nonamericans as reflections of the middle class. Don't you wonder why we're hated so much internationally? Well this combined with the actions of our corrupt government, and foreign media is why.

It's also entertainment to the so called "elite" because people soak it all in and laugh at it, but at the same time the media seems to only make shows that make fun of Americans.
edit on 3-3-2011 by BlackStar9 because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-3-2011 by BlackStar9 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by blessed1

Hi blessed1, and welcome to the Introductions Forum of the ATS community. For now you can reply to any thread in any member forum you wish, as well as send & receive (PM's)Private Messages to Staff only. Once you have achieved 20 posts, you will then be able to start your own threads and additionally send & receive messages to and from fellow ATS members.

Index of Important ATS Related Threads

Hey new members!! Come here if you need advice

Starting a New Thread ?... Look Here First

Terms & Conditions Of Use

Rules for Avatars and Mini-Profile Background images

Signature Guidelines

Take your time and enjoy. If you have any questions just ask.

Sauron,
Super-Moderator.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 10:52 PM
link   
I've noticed that people are acting like these folks they see on TV.
They are conditioning us to be stupid, amoral douche bags.

I also suggest you watch "How TV Ruined your life".
The episode about the aspirations is relevant to this discussion.

new topics

top topics

join