It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The correlation between weather and your mood.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 03:03 AM
link   
Today, it is rather overcast, and dark. The air feel thick like i am walking through syrup.
And, I am in a terrible mood. Irritated, easily angered etc.

This happens almost everytime the weather is like this (which thankfully isn't alot). Yet, when the sun is shining, I feel so good. I decided to research this a bit, if it is an actuall situation, influenced by the weather, or if it is indeed just a placebo effect.

I am going to link to some studies done on this subject. It makes for some interesting reading, and does confirm that the weather does indeed have an influence on our moods.

Have a read and tell me what you guys think about this. Or even how the weather affects your mood.

Here is a link to a study done on this phenomenon.

Another way that it has proven how the weather impacts the mood is through a condition called SAD. Seasonal Affective Disorder (or SAD) is a condition which is characterized by depression during the winter months. The main cause of this condition is lack of sunlight. What happens is your body’s internal clock goes out of sync and it upsets the body’s routine. Some of the symptoms of SAD include: depression, sadness, fatigue, sleeping too much, loss of appetite, increase in appetite (particularly carbohydrates), increase in weight, decrease in activity, apathy and irritability. There are certainly a lot of facts which do in fact point to a strong correlation between the weather and our mood. So is there anything that we can do in order to improve how we feel during these climate changes. Well one way to deal with the weather changes is to look at the up-side. For instance, when the weather is hot, you should rejoice in the fact that it’s sunny and beautiful. Go for a breezy beach walk or embark upon some water activities. And when the weather is gloomy or rainy, think of all of the things that you had always wanted to do at home. Work on a painting or play some board games with your kids. Simply don’t let the weather ruin your mood.

Link to article.

There are many studies done on this. And lots of information available.

So next time you are in a bad mood, and you don't know why, or for what reason, or the cause of it, just look outside your window and see what the weather is like.

vvV

edit on 3-3-2011 by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 03:27 AM
link   
I was thinking about this the other day. When it's grey and gloomy outside, I feel tired, lazy, grumpy, irritable and completely unmotivated.

But on the very rare occasion that the sun is shining, I feel like a completely different person and it's like someone has pressed a switch in my brain! I want to get out and achieve great things, my motivation levels go through the roof and I seem to be a lot more rational and care free.

Weather never used to rule over my mood and the way I'm feeling the way it does now. I wonder if something triggers it or if it's something that comes with age?

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 03:29 AM
link   
I love rainy days, thunder storms...I'm actually in a good mood when it's rainy. Now hot weather, that irritates me!

I think I'd like living in britain.

Also I'm pretty nocturnal.
edit on 3-3-2011 by BoneMosaic because: more stuff

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 03:32 AM
link   
Yeah i'm Bi-Polar and the lack of sunlight during the winter months really effects me...

Its very important to my "happiness" if I catch at least 20 minutes of sunlight a day...
I hate the month of January... it does nothing for my mood

Closing your eyes and facing the sun... not directly of course... but rather in the general direction... helps out a lot too!

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by BoneMosaic

Whenever there are thunderstorms in my area it excites me, all that electrical energy discharge sends my senses buzzing. I feel all that raw power in the depths of my being and I find that such times are ideal for casting magick rituals. And when it rains I enjoy the sensations of the water on my face. But HOT sunny weather really drains me, and I tend to get headaches during those times. Its just too much heat and it's those times I wish for winter all year round.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by BoneMosaic
I love rainy days, thunder storms...I'm actually in a good mood when it's rainy. Now hot weather, that irritates me!

What about in winter? Do you still like the rain then, cuz I understand how the heat here can get annoying. I had a friend who was like you and i could never understand it. I'm just wondering if its only a temperature thing or if you actually don't like sunlight

As for me, I feel sad, depressed or gloomy whenever it is overcast. I really don't like the heat but its a fair price to pay to get sunshine imo.

Man am I so glad I live in the "sunshine state"

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by polarwarrior

Originally posted by BoneMosaic

What about in winter? Do you still like the rain then, cuz I understand how the heat here can get annoying. I had a friend who was like you and i could never understand it. I'm just wondering if its only a temperature thing or if you actually don't like sunlight

As for me, I feel sad, depressed or gloomy whenever it is overcast. I really don't like the heat but its a fair price to pay to get sunshine imo.

Man am I so glad I live in the "sunshine state"

Yeah, I always love the rain! I don't know why, maybe It's an ancestral thing, my ancestors being British and Irish. I have no problem with sunlight, but the heat I can't stand. I love sunny days in winter.

But I just love the rain.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   
I hate hot weather. Sunny days mean going through the drudgery of school.
Rainy days, however, excite my mind and inspire my creativity.
I would love to live in Britain as well.

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

That's very interesting as it is quite the opposite for myself. Whenever it gets rainy, thundery, or gloomy outside I perk right up. I never feel happier than when its dark and gloomy outside. I don't know why but I just love it, it does something inside of me that just makes this feeling of calm wash over me. =)

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Weather effects your mood which in turn effects how you live how you spend. So technically speaking those that are believed to be able to influence weather could possibly influence economies.

top topics

join