It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No ‘right click’ for photos. IMO we need this. :P

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 05:54 AM
link   
I’ve received notice a number of the pictures I’ve posted on ATS (of Mt. Etna) have been ‘stolen’ by persons using the ‘right click’ and ‘save as’ options, then, re-posting the pictures on other websites/blogs.

In my opinion the ‘right click’ option on ATS needs to be removed.

If people want to use my pictures, or any other member photos, I believe they should have to LINK to ATS - not just ‘steal’ what members are providing. My rationale says this would be better for ATS all the way around.

And really, is it so hard to do? On any web page I’ve ever created I’ve used a nice tidy little bit a code that disables ‘right click’ on photos. I would think that would be possible here too?

Anyway, I’d really like to see ’no right click’ or - at least the OPTION to disable this feature here on ATS.

Just sayin...
peace

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 06:59 AM
link   
How are they going to link to it if they can't right click it? fail
oh and flickr tried the same thing, yet I can still save their images if I use firefox and the Page Info tab.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 07:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Nventual

How do they link to it if they can't right click?
Are you seriouse?
I'm speaking about removing the option of right click to 'save as' (the picture) not the link lol.

Which is possible - I've done it.

peace

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

I share your frustrations but disabling right-click wont keep people from stealing your pics. *sigh*

Even with right-clicking disabled, people who really want to steal a pic will still find a way to do it. Screen grabs for instance... and other ways.

I think your best bet is to add a watermark to your photos so at least if they are stolen, it will be obvious. I know that is time consuming and takes away from the quality of the photo, but I'm not sure what else to suggest.

I have several pics that I've thought about posting but I haven't because even though I'm sure some people would find them fascinating, I don't want them plastered all over the place, with no link to the original story of how the photo came to be or whatever.

Maybe someone else will have better suggestions. Too bad people can't just be honest and considerate enough to just leave other people's stuff alone.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 08:28 AM
link   
People still do screen grabs and then crop the picture and walaaaa.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

You could upload them to deviantart and make them copyrighted so if someone else uses them you can...kill them...

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by gemineye

Even with right-clicking disabled, people who really want to steal a pic will still find a way to do it. Screen grabs for instance... and other ways.

Wow, thanks for your input!

What a bummer... I mean, it's really not so much I want 'exclusive' photos but if I choose to publish them on ATS, that is where I want them to stay...

And no, not 'cause I'm a suck-up to ATS but the choice should always be mine or yours where we want to publish our photos and where the recognition for those photos should be placed...

Someday huh!
Thank you so much!

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by cluckerspud

Cluckerspud - SEE! Now YOUR's is an avatar that makes me want to scream COPYRIGHT!!!

Go! Search! Find! A copyright so NO ONE can steal that plaque of originality you place your clucker name on!!!

BwaKKKK Ba-WWWWAAAAKKK BWAKKKK!!!!!!

peace

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by totalmetal

You could upload them to deviantart and make them copyrighted so if someone else uses them you can...kill them...

Deviantart absolutely ROCKS!!!!!!

Will look into what they can do for me, but, like I said,'m looking for a way for photographers to have their 'art' protected on ATS...

hugs and thanks!

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
I agree with ya, presuming one is sharing pictures/photos/art that they own. I think that if I were concerned about them being taken, I would upload them with a watermark, or some other stamp of ownership. It's not too hard to put a big X or something on them without distorting what is meant to be conveyed, yes/no? (though I realize this does ruin the overall effect) but it would prevent them being such a tempting target. Wish there was a better way to handle it, though. Good points, Silo.

edit on 2-3-2011 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by silo13
I’ve received notice a number of the pictures I’ve posted on ATS (of Mt. Etna) have been ‘stolen’ by persons using the ‘right click’ and ‘save as’ options, then, re-posting the pictures on other websites/blogs.

Disabling the right click feature won't stop it. On some computers, you can bypass this by simply dragging the picture from your browser to the desktop and voila, it's saved. If you can't, you can download one of the many screen grabbing apps from the net, or the Firefox add-on's. Or, just press "PrtSc" on your Windows PC and paste it in MS Paint.

Just sayin'.

**Edit**
As another poster said, you can upload them to Deviantart (am a faithful user myself) and add a license to them OR again, as another poster said, watermark them.

Here's a site you can use which doesn't require any download: www.watermarktool.com...
Or open MS Paint/Photoshop/Gimp (which is free) and make your own watermark.

Second edit:
I'll gladly make you a Photoshop PSD watermark for you to use. (Requires Photoshop)
edit on 2-3-2011 by Frontkjemper because: See **Edit** and "Second edit"

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Removing the right click option does not prevent anyone from saving a picture.

No offense OP, but you must not have much experience with computers.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Frontkjemper

Thanks for the watermark site link - I'll check it out. As for you making me one - thanks on that also. I've got Photoshop 6 - and oldy but a goodie and will hack something out myself.

And really it isn't so much a deal of MY ownership that I'm trying to solve, more, it's that if I choose to put something on ATS I'd like ATS to get into the loop if someone steals the photos. I go to a lot of work to add to this site and don't want that part of my contribution cut off my someone just up and snitching photos with no link.

peace

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 07:28 AM
link   
hey silo, if you publish your picture on ats, ats has certain proprietary rights to them as well. if anyone downloads them they are notified of this and the conditions under which the downloader can use them, normally by citing ats and the authors name.

you can find out who is using your work by googling your user name, you can track images, videos by simply clicking on them.

be warned, i have found numerous sites that post over a hundred of my videos, some places give my images away as ring-tones. they do however give me credit for being the author.

anything you write anywhere is susceptible to being quoted in places you can't imagine, by people you don't know and probably for causes that are not your own.

your only option to avoid this is to never say, do or publish anything. even then, they will publish things other people say about you.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 07:37 AM
link   
The best way to handle this in the future is to alert Staff when you notice a link/thread/picture on another site so that we can invoke the Creative Commons and request either a link be placed back to ATS to the Admin of the 'offending' site or request removal.

We have a pretty good track record of such in the past and will always go to bat for ATS members...

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 01:53 AM
link   
reply to post by MemoryShock

Great news that! Will do.
I should a known ATS would have something already in place to handle such a situation!
Dang we need a face palm emote!

Thanks tons,
peace

top topics

join