It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia spends $650 billion on Military rearmament

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   

With Russia

news.yahoo.com

Moscow – The graying bear is getting a make-over. Russia's military is launching its biggest rearmament effort since Soviet times, including a $650 billion program to procure 1,000 new helicopters, 600 combat planes, 100 warships, and 8 nuclear-powered ballistic missile submarines.
Analysts say Russia, while already the world's fifth-largest military spender, needs strong conventional forces to reduce its overreliance on its aging Soviet-era nuclear missile deterrent. Valentin Rudenko, director of the independent Interfax-Military News Agency, says it could create "a whole new ballgame.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 1-3-2011 by leemann123 because: error

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Just came across this a few minutes ago, thought I might share it. Seems like the Motherland is stocking up for something big. Doesn't bode well for any of us, unless your russian I guess. But seriously? A stealth fighter? What do they need a stealth fighter for, everyone knows not to mess with them after what happened to the nazis and Napoleon. Keep your eyes peeled!

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Yea but the information and computer systems may be lacking, this is a C4ISR, network centric warfare world now if you fight major battles. They might be better off in paying a few hundred Afghanistan soldiers if they want to win a war against the US or china type situation.

I would be interested to know what kinds of systems they are purchasing. A receipt would be nice to look at.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   
The article also says that the eight submarines will carry long-range nuclear missiles. Didn't we just reduce our nuclear missiles and cut our missile defense program? They also said that there would be helicopter carrying ships designed to project power around the world. Forget comets hitting the world, or aliens. We can do it ourselves, thank you very much.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL
Yea but the information and computer systems may be lacking, this is a C4ISR, network centric warfare world now if you fight major battles. They might be better off in paying a few hundred Afghanistan soldiers if they want to win a war against the US or china type situation.

I would be interested to know what kinds of systems they are purchasing. A receipt would be nice to look at.

Actually they signed an order last year to start switching over to Linux instead of using proprietary OSes and software. www.linuxfordevices.com...

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by ArchIlluminatus

Well that is definitely good. Red Hat linux has good firewall stuff and is a pretty secure OS. Not only that there are no millions of dollars to waste on private contractors for products and proprietary stuff that only runs on one type of machine. It is a step towards modernization.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
The US spends more than that in one year on defense, Russia is spending that over the next ten years. No other country comes anywhere close to what we spend per year. Sounds like overkill to me but when you want to be the worlds policeman I suppose it's what is needed.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jeremiah Johnson
The US spends more than that in one year on defense, Russia is spending that over the next ten years. No other country comes anywhere close to what we spend per year. Sounds like overkill to me but when you want to be the worlds policeman I suppose it's what is needed.

Yep. In 2008 it was $685bil. Absolutely ridiculous.

And we have the balls to call ourselves a "peaceful nation".

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Well that is definitely good. Red Hat linux has good firewall stuff and is a pretty secure OS. Not only that there are no millions of dollars to waste on private contractors for products and proprietary stuff that only runs on one type of machine. It is a step towards modernization.

Them switching over to open source will help cut down on malware infested computers. When you get Windows for free it's bound to have all sorts of nasties in it and offers an easy way for less than honest people to have a botnet set up for spamming or data theft.

Microsoft charges a lot for licenses, $200 for a licenses to run it on one computer adds up quick. Even though piracy is rampant in Russia the government and mainframe computers use legit copies of Windows. So Microsoft will be losing money they could be making.

Open Source is starting to catch on in Europe, it's free and people can do what they want with it. It's also helping to spur technological innovation. When all you do is have to pay for hardware it significantly lowers the cost. The Operating System and software is totally free and so is updates and upgrades. Also Linux can run on older hardware without any problem. No need to keep going out a buying a new computer so you have a flashy GUI that hogs system resources.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

And the worst or most bizarre part about it all is we're most likely getting the money from China to spend on these weapons and I assume a portion of the defense budget is put towards the wars we are engaged in but still that's a huge chunk of change.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   
From the same article: "Critics say that despite the huge sums of money slated to be injected into the rearmament program, it is far short of the amounts needed to revive Russia's moribund military-industrial complex, which has lost the vast network of subcontractors that existed in Soviet times.

"This is not the first time the Kremlin has talked about military modernization," says Golts. "But all previous programs have failed."

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   

I don't know man, even Rome collapsed and they had the largest military might. The nature of warfare is changing. It's no longer like 'We'll go and bomb you and you'll end up surrendering.' We now to have deal with unconventional methods like IED's and suicide bombers. It's a new landscape. When people believe they are fighting for God they aren't going to give up easy.

You can have the most state of the art military in the world but it's not going to stop someone thinking they are going to go to heaven by strapping C-4 around their waist and murdering innocent people in a cafe or club. You need to battle their 'hearts and minds.'

The Soviet Union and the United States emerged as super powers after WWII. The Soviet Union fell in 1991, we've chugged along but how long will it last? China is a growing problem, they have far more people than we do and a larger military as per soldiers. China produces most of everything we buy, America doesn't produce much of anything. They will beat us economically wise.

We owe huge amounts of debt to other countries en.wikipedia.org... what will happen if they tell us to start paying up?

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Not only that, but there is also an information warfare scenario going on right now. Youtube, twitter, anon, wikilieaks, alternative news networks, propaganda bots, all sorts of people using tactics to spread information in their interest. Anyone with internet access is now a military operative.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   

I don't disagree with you really, we still outspend China on defense by quite a bit but I have a feeling that will be changing in the next few years. I don't see how the US can keep spending that amount year after year. I have a feeling we will eventually become Russia in the 90's, broke and a military that is in tatters.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

It's getting harder to use discernment. I see people say that they only rely on alternative media for their news because they don't trust the mainstream media. The question is how do they know the alternative media they are reading is really legit? It could be manipulated to get people to think and react in a way the powers that be want us to. We can't see the end picture, only a hazy view of where it's going, we can follow the path but not see where it leads or what's lays at the end of the road.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   

I don't disagree with you really, we still outspend China on defense by quite a bit but I have a feeling that will be changing in the next few years. I don't see how the US can keep spending that amount year after year. I have a feeling we will eventually become Russia in the 90's, broke and a military that is in tatters.

14 trillion in debt and still growing, it can't be sustained forever. When I was in High School it was 6 trillion. Look at the history of the national debt since 2001 it keps ballooning en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   

That is true as well. I gather news from all over, incuding mainstream (msnb.com). I would say most of my news and information is mainstream really. I go to other places to see various aspects of it being discussed, questioned, and if anyone has any other sources to back it up.

I'm in the process of writing up an article on Information warfare techniques, and will be posting it on a major board, not here, erm its very good, I may paste it here as well, I'm just afraid of the two accounts being linked together that's all lol.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   

That is true as well. I gather news from all over, incuding mainstream (msnb.com). I would say most of my news and information is mainstream really. I go to other places to see various aspects of it being discussed, questioned, and if anyone has any other sources to back it up.

I'm in the process of writing up an article on Information warfare techniques, and will be posting it on a major board, not here, erm its very good, I may paste it here as well, I'm just afraid of the two accounts being linked together that's all lol.

You could always set up a free website at sites.google.com... or www.webs.com... and put articles you write on there.
edit on 1-3-2011 by ArchIlluminatus because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-3-2011 by ArchIlluminatus because: Must be tired, too many spelling errors lol

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Ohh cool, never knew about that
I also have a blog linked to the gmail account. It is an anoymous account (before they started requiring phone sms text to verify).

I will have to look into the website idea. It is going to be a really really awesome article.

It has major subsections on encryption, data transmission, advertising, examples in use, attention techniques, propaganda techniques, lots of good stuff. I am writing it for newsvine.com

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Jeez, every day it's like 2012 is a more likely doomsday. I mean, a couple years ago, I still would have said "not likely to happen," but at this rate, we're preparing for world war revolution. Everything is being turned upside down and there is now the legitimate potential for some crazy guy to press the nuke button.

<<   2 >>

join