It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Crocs: Fashion faux pas or Feasible footwear?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   
OK, so by now with my screen name and several nonsensical threads you might have reckoned I wonder about things. Weird things.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d99c6527d8ec.jpg[/atsimg]

Well here we go again. Although I'm not sure when they first burst onto the scene, I first started noticing these pliable multi-colored feet marshmallows during an extended hospital visit. Then occasionally I began to see them in public, mostly worn by women. Then I began to see a few fellas sporting them mostly in black or brown. A little odd I thought perhaps they were from Holland and their Birkenstocks were in the shop.

Then I got a pair as a gift from my spousal unit and did, in fact, enjoy them poolside and for yard work and boating. They are comfy. Then one day it happened, while mowing the yard I busted a sprinkler head and ran up to nearby home improvement store. There I was in checkout line and looked down. OMG, I was that guy.
I had worn them in public. Yikes. There I was trying to strike a manly pose in line with construction workers who were wearing steel toed boots and there I am sporting bright blue jellybeans.

So what's the verdict? Do you all wear them? Cool or Uncool?
edit on 1-3-2011 by kinda kurious because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   
I wear a black pair around the yard, but I haven't shown them to the world as of yet.

Oddly, a few peers in my High school have taken to wearing crocks in class.
(I am a male, and most of the people in school that wear crocks are male for some reason science has yet to discover. )

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by kinda kurious

Wear them? no; but certainly don't look to me for fashion advice.
Do they look ridiculous on men? IMHO yes.
Do I care what shoes another man wears? No..
I might openly question your sanity if I see you in shorts and crocs on a motorcycle or even a scooter.40mph is 40mph on a 1000cc sportbike or a 150cc scooter.
edit on 1-3-2011 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   
I confess to buying one black pair - I wear them out in the yard or in the basement.
I can put them on and they look cool for a while and then they starting turning
ugly

Ever notice they fit when you first get them and then they begin to grow or shrink - in my case they grew at least 2 1/2 sizes larger.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by crazydaisy
I confess to buying one black pair - I wear them out in the yard or in the basement.
I can put them on and they look cool for a while and then they starting turning
ugly

Old man here. My son acquired a black pair free a few years ago and left them in my house when he moved out. Being retired, I don't have to "get dressed up" much. Crocs are great around the house. I wear fleece-lined mocs in the cooler months and the crocs when it is warm and hot. Are they manly? --I don't worry about that too much anymore. Remember way back when we went through the same situation with sneakers/tennis shoes for everyday wear? No, I don't suppose you do, most of you don't go back that far. Crocs are cool in both meanings of the word.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   
NOOOOO.. people who wear crocs are the WORST kind of person!

I dont like crocs.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinda kurious
There I was in checkout line and looked down. OMG, I was that guy.
I had worn them in public. Yikes.

LMAO!

That explains it then. I have never tried a pair myself but if I had a nickel for every time someone tried to convince me how comfy they were with cult like fervor, I would have tons of nickels. People really swear by them as a comfortable utilitarian shoe. There must be something to them. Since I went to the corner store in my slippers earlier today, I can buy this.

I will never look at a man in crocs again and assume he is not a fashionplate, just busy doing yardwork.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Negotium of Verum
I wear a black pair around the yard, but I haven't shown them to the world as of yet.

Oddly, a few peers in my High school have taken to wearing crocks in class.
(I am a male, and most of the people in school that wear crocks are male for some reason science has yet to discover. )

I have learned from my cousins that at least in my area, boys wearing girl's jeans is pretty commonplace in high schools now too. Then I saw that they are coming out with men's jeans that are designed to look like girls jeans. I am not sure what is going on out there but perhaps men as a whole got sick of us stealing their clothes and have decided to fight back at a proactive level.

LEVI ex-girlfriend jeans for men.

The world of apparel is a crazy little place aint it.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   
I saw this thread and had to post ! I just love crocks i wear them all the time and Ive got them in a rainbow of colors there so comfy and easy to slip into and Ive even wore them in public..My husband has a pair and likes his also but wont wear them in public just around the yard..

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e617b9145dcf.jpg[/atsimg]

I Dont Care How Comfortable Crocs Are, You Look Like A Dumbass.

edit on 2-3-2011 by LadySkadi because: add pic

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinda kurious
There I was trying to strike a manly pose in line with construction workers who were wearing steel toed boots and there I am sporting bright blue jellybeans.

Cool or Uncool?

I'll bet you failed miserably trying to look manly as I can't think of any man wearing them in a hardware store, no matter how confident and sure of yourself you are.

and bright blue???? Definitely UNcool.............

but............better you than me..

edit on 3/2/2011 by tribewilder because: at least you weren't wearing bright pink ones, I'll give you that!!!

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by tribewilder

Thanks for the dig. TW
I was inspired to start this thread by your now famous:

WHEELIES - MORE THAN A SHOE: 'STOP GLOBAL WARMING AND GO PLACES TO' THREAD Epic.

Besides I suspect I know what you sport on those weekend visits to the Flea Market:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e3de34d9fdbf.jpg[/atsimg]

Duly noted my jungle friend.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi

LOL Only 1.4 Million Members on the Facebook site out of 600 Million?
funny, thanks

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sinnthia
I had a nickel for every time someone tried to convince me how comfy they were with cult like fervor, I would have tons of nickels.

If I've told you once, I've told you a million times, stop exaggerating! Tons? Really?

Would love to learn more about slipper event though.

edit on 3-3-2011 by kinda kurious because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi

edit on 2-3-2011 by LadySkadi because: add pic

I don't care how much of dumbass I look, as long as my feet don't hurt. For me, has more to do with age than fashion.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   
crocs are kid shoes and when adults wear them, they look ridiculous.

crocs and uggs are, by far, the two dumbest items I've seen.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by kinda kurious

For me, they are acceptable footwear in the same settings and situations flip flops would be acceptable. No more, no less.

That said though, you'll never see me in them...

edit on 11-3-2011 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   
My 8 year old loves her Spongebob & Toy Story crocs and they look super cute on her!

Not so cute if you're over the age of 12.

top topics

join