It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A so-called all loving God?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Here are a few examples taken from the books of Genesis and Exodus in the Old Testament :

An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.21;24-25

God is angry. He decides to destroy all humans, beasts, creeping things, fowls, and all flesh wherein there is breath of life. He plans to drown them all.6;7,17

God orders Abraham to kill Isaac, as a burnt offering. Abraham shows his love for God by his willingness t murder his son. But finally, just before his throat is slit, God provides a goat to kill instead.22;2-13

Moses has some animals killed and thier dead bodies burned for God. Then he sprinkles thier blood on the alter and the people. This makes God happy.24;5-8

The lord has sworn That the lord will have war with Amalek from generation to generation.17;14-16

As with a lot of religious ideology imposed on us since ancient times, these texts talk of sacrificing people and animals, war, all of wich is still going on today.
What does that tell you?

This is just one of the reasons why I dont bother with religion.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Yes, and those are all held true in judism, but in christianity, our ways are different. Jesus teaches people to turn the other cheek, instead of revenge.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by CandiceZ

Why make a religious thread if you don't "bother" with religion then? Why bother pointing out religious quotes if they are irrelevant to you?

What it tells me is that just a reflection of everyday life. Religion or no religion, you'll STILL have war, sacrifice, etc. because that's humans for ya. Pointing out things in the Bible does not prove anything. God is how people see him. Strict, mean, happy, a comedian, etc. That's the thing with the Bible - anyone can turn around and interpret it how they want to.

Me personally, if I did believe in God, I'd probably note the change in New Testament and see that God has always been there for me in my time of need. At least that's how some people see it and thus how he is "all loving" God.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by ReVoLuTiOn76

It just proves to me that the bible is not the word of God. It inspired the formulation of the secret power bases of every ancient civilisation. We see scientists as Gods and religion as the mouthpiece of God without knowing who we really are.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by CandiceZ

Yes the Old Testament God is a very vengeful entity. Any behaviour he felt immoral would be punished by a lightning bolt.

Then Jesus came along and he talked about forgiving sins and there being a place in paradise for all people who repent. Thus God is now peaceful and full of love for us.

I prefer jesus' version, although if 2012 lives up to the hype, we may be seeing the Old Testament God in all his glory.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   
I think the Bible has been changed and had so many false rubbish put in it that i don't think we can get the true story from it(yes i do believe that it holds some truth).
I don't know if what we call god is all loving or not but it does seem like god is quite the evil one

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by DevilJin

Why make a religious thread if you don't "bother" with religion then? Why bother pointing out religious quotes if they are irrelevant to you?

I just think religion is a form of control and I wrote this thread to state why I am not religious.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" -Epicurus

This is the truth.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   

I just think religion is a form of control and I wrote this thread to state why I am not religious.

Understood.

Yes, to expand the conversation here, religion is a form of control but it is also a form of comfort for people who don't have much material things, have a lot of hardship and need SOMETHING to believe in. Do you think religion benefits those types of people? And what about all the would-be murderers who turned to religion? People who have seriously wanted to commit suicide? I know we can say these are psychological problems but if religion is stopping people from going nuts, then religion can be seen as a good thing.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Understood.

Yes, to expand the conversation here, religion is a form of control but it is also a form of comfort for people who don't have much material things, have a lot of hardship and need SOMETHING to believe in. Do you think religion benefits those types of people? And what about all the would-be murderers who turned to religion? People who have seriously wanted to commit suicide? I know we can say these are psychological problems but if religion is stopping people from going nuts, then religion can be seen as a good thing.

I can see why people turn to God, and yes I do agree it does help a lot of people. What im trying to say is that I dont think the bible is the word of God. I believe in God myself, but I dont follow a religion. Religion is different to God. And sorry to say this if it offends anybody, but I dont belive that anyone who is deeply religious is truely happy. They strike me as bieng very repressed. But each to their own, I could be wrong.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   
You need to be asking the question "who is this thing we call god?". I mean, he lives in a box. He condones infanticide, genocide, incest, and unconventional warfare against civilian populations.

Why do Christians take part in ritual canabalisim every Sunday?

Why did the Jews kill EVERYONE in Cannan? "God" told them it was ok?

Why did Moses massacre a major portion of the people that trusted him? "God" said he should?

Why did "god" prefer Abels offering of blood and gore, rather than the hard work and ingenuity of Cain?

Why did "god" give us the temptation of the Tree of Knowledge? Could he not predict what was to pass?

The first time you hear of Moses, it is when he is murdering somebody. Just read your bible if you want reasons to not take part in the Judeo-Christian blood cult.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   
The New Testament still quotes verses of Jesus believing in slavery. I'm sorry, any person who believes slavery is okay, is not someone I want to bow down too...

www.evilbible.com just for starters is a great resource for those who want to arm themselves against a christian who acts like they have read, comprehend and follow all all laws in in the bible.......hypocrites..

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by SunTzu22
You need to be asking the question "who is this thing we call god?".

My point exactly! Its not the God that gets taught to us. I think believing in God is a personal faith that comes from within, not out of some book.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   
religion is ridiculous in my opinion... god doesn't exist, get over it.
humans must have came from somewhere, i think its more possible that we were genetically created by ET's rather than some "god" who created humans...

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Binky21

I dont know who/ what God is. All I know is that I do believe in a higher power/supreme bieng, wether it be and alien race, man sat on a cloud with a white beard,or whatever.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   

As with a lot of religious ideology imposed on us since ancient times, these texts talk of sacrificing people and animals, war, all of wich is still going on today. What does that tell you?

If you read the bible from beginning to end, you would have noticed God changes the game. Noah's Ark and Christ's sacrifice are very significant events. One event convinced him to be merciful, and the other one was an open door to those who seek salvation.

I do understand where you are coming from.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Section31

As with a lot of religious ideology imposed on us since ancient times, these texts talk of sacrificing people and animals, war, all of wich is still going on today. What does that tell you?

If you read the bible from beginning to end, you would have noticed God changes the game. Noah's Ark and Christ's sacrifice are very significant events. One event convinced him to be merciful, and the other one was an open door to those who seek salvation.

I do understand where you are coming from.

Hopefully mankind will eventually change the game in the same way.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Regardless of any religious text.

If God is responsible for reality, then he must be evil.

I guess it depends on how you look at disease and murder and what not.
Certainly if he loved us we would not have to suffer through this reality he created.

Furthermore, if we are merely an extension of God would he not know how we are going to live our lives? Or what I should say is how god is going to live our lives for us.

I dislike discussing religion because most people have not even read the bible so they don't even know what they are talking about. I'll admit I have only read a little less than half of the New Testament. Secondly, people who have read it all have different interpretations. It is just so complicated to discuss something that no one can even agree on the definition.

I ignore my dislike for the discussion of religion because I recognize the implications of religion has on humanity. It would be like ignoring cancer.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Your right about true religion being withing the individual.

However, you are wrong about their not being "things" that people have come to call "gods" through fear.

The Jewish "god" is a real entity. It can be summoned with the proper procedure (Kabballah). It does have the ability to preform certain actions in our material world.

You simpily know this "god" by another name, the one he would have least assiociated with his business. That name is Satan.

And if Jesus is the "son of god" this is understandable as he himself is violent and cruel. Pushing James off of a roof just because he could. Go ahead and eat of his flesh and drink of his blood.

If thats the "good news", then what is the bad news??

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Genesis my favorite chapter in the bible as it provides the secret that most miss IMO. Moses knows the secret and reveals it in the way he writes. First he states "GOD" creates in chapter 1, then he descibes the "LORD GOD" in chapter 2 and the things that are created by that entity, then later and for most of the rest of the bible it is the "LORD". These are 3 different characters, again IMO. Think about this, why would "GOD" state 'let us create man in our own image in chapter 1 and then later in chapter 2 "LORD GOD" takes the dust of the earth and creates Adam.
I believe that "GOD" is all loving, and the "LORD GOD" is also a good spirit, it is the "LORD" I have reservations about....once again IMO

mark844

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join