It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time Travel Experiment?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   
I came across this article that demonstrates how to get around
the"grandfather paradox",which is a time traveler goes back in
time and kills his grandfather,thus preventing his own birth.

www.physorg.com...

And I was wondering,have they actually have had this problem before?
Thought it was interesting,if you can get through the goobley gook.
Made my head hurt!

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

that one issue seems to have the most affect on a thinking man. Once you start to play out the scenario in your head, you are destined for a migraine.

If I change history that makes me not exist, was I able to change history at all?
OUCH.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   

the angle of the quantum gun...etc etc...?????

over my head. should have paid attention in time travel class

I also heard somewhere that the grandfather paradox does not exist due to the fact that you don't travel back in time in your our dimension......
edit on 1-3-2011 by BadBoYeed because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   
It's not really "time travel" per se....

What they are referring to specifically is proving that the grandfather paradox can be beaten at the quantum level, and even then, it's completely hypothetical.

In order to really prove the theory, they need a true "wormhole" (closed timelike curve) that is theorized to exist but has never been proven:

Although one would need a real general relativistic CTC actually to impose final conditions, we can still simulate how such a CTC would work by setting up the initial condition, letting the system evolve, and then making a measurement. One of the possible outcomes of the measurement corresponds to the final condition that we would like to impose. Whenever that outcome occurs, then everything that has happened in the experiment up to that point is exactly the same as if the photon had gone backward in time and tried to kill its former self.

What they are talking about is an experiment at the quantum level that they can use to SIMULATE another experiment that would involve wormholes.

Definitely heavy reading, but it starts to make sense after the 11th or so time.

~Namaste

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   
We are flesh and blood, if one were able to go back and kill their grandfather, this isn't going to change your present state of matter. The ramifications of this when returning, if this is possible, well....this all depends on how time is really assembled. My personal opinion on the subject is that time travel is just not possible. There is no past or future, only the present is possible.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tephra
We are flesh and blood, if one were able to go back and kill their grandfather, this isn't going to change your present state of matter. The ramifications of this when returning, if this is possible, well....this all depends on how time is really assembled. My personal opinion on the subject is that time travel is just not possible. There is no past or future, only the present is possible.

Makes you wonder,though if time travel is not possible,why are they doing experiments on the parodoxes
of time travel.Trying to prove Einsteins relativity theories? Have they tried to do it other then at the quantum level?
edit on 1-3-2011 by kdog1982 because: spelling

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by SonOfTheLawOfOne
It's not really "time travel" per se....

What they are referring to specifically is proving that the grandfather paradox can be beaten at the quantum level, and even then, it's completely hypothetical.

In order to really prove the theory, they need a true "wormhole" (closed timelike curve) that is theorized to exist but has never been proven:

Although one would need a real general relativistic CTC actually to impose final conditions, we can still simulate how such a CTC would work by setting up the initial condition, letting the system evolve, and then making a measurement. One of the possible outcomes of the measurement corresponds to the final condition that we would like to impose. Whenever that outcome occurs, then everything that has happened in the experiment up to that point is exactly the same as if the photon had gone backward in time and tried to kill its former self.

What they are talking about is an experiment at the quantum level that they can use to SIMULATE another experiment that would involve wormholes.

Definitely heavy reading, but it starts to make sense after the 11th or so time.

~Namaste

Well,then there is this about creating wormholes on earth
www.physorg.com...

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   
These guys are coming up with some scary stuff
that my end up destroying us all!

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Also there is this guy with a small version of the time machine,I guess for mice?
It's from 2006 so who knows what they have done since then.

www.physorg.com...

edit on 1-3-2011 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by epicfail

that one issue seems to have the most affect on a thinking man. Once you start to play out the scenario in your head, you are destined for a migraine.

If I change history that makes me not exist, was I able to change history at all?
OUCH.

exactly, if you erase your existance, you never existed in the first place, but if you save your existance then nothing would've changed

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   
This of course only applies if we assume we can in fact change the Future....

How can we prove that we can in fact change the future ???

Most only assume that they can change their destiny or future.

We assume we can control our destiny because we see the world in the way we want it to be, and perhaps Not in the way the world may really be and its true purpose.

Does the World exist for the reasons we believe it to exist, or does this universe have a purpose and function which we have yet to discover???

So can we prove that we can change the future ???

Or does this experience merely seem that we can change the future ???

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   
I don't know,take a picture of something,put it in your pocket,go back in the past ,
mess up someones hair,then come back to the present?
edit on 1-3-2011 by kdog1982 because: missed something

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   
You realize I'm flushing you people out ,cause I'm a goverment agent from the future
and I need some recruits!

Sorry,I was just kidding about that.

edit on 1-3-2011 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 04:32 AM
link   
I would just like to share with you this timetravel paradox story, because it was one of the weirdest I've read. It's from the book called Hyperspace written by Michio Kaku, here it is:

Here is the paradox of the man who is own mother (my apologies to Heinlein.) “Jane” is left at an orphanage as a foundling. When “Jane” is a teenager, she falls in love with a drifter, who abandons her but leaves her pregnant. Then disaster strikes. She almost dies giving birth to a baby girl, who is then mysteriously kidnapped. The doctors find that Jane is bleeding badly, but, oddly enough, has both sex organs. So, to save her life, the doctors convert “Jane” to “Jim.”

“Jim” subsequently becomes a roaring drunk, until he meets a friendly bartender (actually a time traveler in disguise) who wisks “Jim” back way into the past. “Jim” meets a beautiful teenage girl, accidentally gets her pregnant with a baby girl. Out of guilt, he kidnaps the baby girl and drops her off at the orphanage. Later, “Jim” joins the time travelers corps, leads a distinguished life, and has one last dream: to disguise himself as a bartender to meet a certain drunk named “Jim” in the past. Question: who is “Jane’s” mother, father, brother, sister, grand- father, grandmother, and grandchild?

How do they come up with such a story.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anodyne
I would just like to share with you this timetravel paradox story, because it was one of the weirdest I've read. It's from the book called Hyperspace written by Michio Kaku, here it is:

Here is the paradox of the man who is own mother (my apologies to Heinlein.) “Jane” is left at an orphanage as a foundling. When “Jane” is a teenager, she falls in love with a drifter, who abandons her but leaves her pregnant. Then disaster strikes. She almost dies giving birth to a baby girl, who is then mysteriously kidnapped. The doctors find that Jane is bleeding badly, but, oddly enough, has both sex organs. So, to save her life, the doctors convert “Jane” to “Jim.”

“Jim” subsequently becomes a roaring drunk, until he meets a friendly bartender (actually a time traveler in disguise) who wisks “Jim” back way into the past. “Jim” meets a beautiful teenage girl, accidentally gets her pregnant with a baby girl. Out of guilt, he kidnaps the baby girl and drops her off at the orphanage. Later, “Jim” joins the time travelers corps, leads a distinguished life, and has one last dream: to disguise himself as a bartender to meet a certain drunk named “Jim” in the past. Question: who is “Jane’s” mother, father, brother, sister, grand- father, grandmother, and grandchild?

How do they come up with such a story.

it's way too early in the morning for something like this! LOL I just read your post like 4 times in a row and my head is still going: WHAT THE *&$^#&@

I have written down the name of the book and the author though cause as much as it taxes my melon, it's mega intriguing as well!

As far as time travel, right now I'm reading Cosmos my Carl Sagan and last night I read the part where he touches on time travel and paradoxes (not a big chapter just a little part) and he says something along the lines like: perhaps when traveling back in time there are no paradoxes to worry about because of the curve of space time and when you travel into the past its not exactly your past but the past of any number of infinite universes.... or something like that, I'm paraphrasing here cause to be honest, I'm not really all that smart.

What I got from it was something like a cross between back to the future and sliders. Time travel is fascinating, if it were possible it'd be awesome and at the same time just totally frightening and as much as I would be curious to try it myself. I would be scared crapless so would most likely just not do a damn thing!

Interesting thread!

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by undiscoveredsoul

I had to reread it a couple of times too when I first read it before I understood it and it wasn't morning when I read it.

I was thinking:

What if when you travel back in time you actually create a parallel universe that looks exactly like the past universe you're from with the same people it seems. Now, you meet what you think is your grandfather, he looks the same, has the same name, frankly he is the same guy, only he is your parallel grandfather. You shoot him and realize you're still alive. You change the outcome of the future of this parallel universe however this does not affect the outcome of the universe that you're from.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   
time travel is a reality

all you need to do to time travel is to punch or tear a hole in space time,from thier you can choose which time frame you wish to inhabit/travel to in a place called hyperspace,outiside of space time.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   
I didn't read everything in this topic, but my father used to work on top secret research projects at the White Sands Testing Facility in the 70's and told me (bout 4 yrs ago b4 he died) they were successfully doing time travel experiments (in seconds) & would have it to minutes by the 80-90s.

Just goes to show that w/e the gov releases they already had for at least 30+ years.... No doubt they have time travel, I don't see why not when you have an endless budget and access to all the resources & brainpower you'd ever need.
edit on 5-3-2011 by MasonicFantom because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by MasonicFantom
I didn't read everything in this topic, but my father used to work on top secret research projects at the White Sands Testing Facility in the 70's and told me (bout 4 yrs ago b4 he died) they were successfully doing time travel experiments (in seconds) & would have it to minutes by the 80-90s.

Just goes to show that w/e the gov releases they already had for at least 30+ years.... No doubt they have time travel, I don't see why not when you have an endless budget and access to all the resources & brainpower you'd ever need.
edit on 5-3-2011 by MasonicFantom because: (no reason given)

Wow,you have to elaborate a little on what your father had past on to you.
I'm sure everyone would find it very interesting.
Thanks for the post.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Don't know if anyone has seen the episode of the big bang theory where they say something like: 'If time travel becomes possible in the future, promise you will travel back to this exact moment in 5 seconds'. Then they count down waiting for there future self to show up...

Well I was thinking, imagine tattooing an exact date, time and maybe coordinates on yourself with a little note to remind yourself to time travel back using that information.

Unless you got the tattoo removed at some point, if time travel were to become possible and available to you in the future, theoretically you could make that tattoo a date and time like say : March 6th 2011 13:00pm and see what happens!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join