It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook will soon share users’ phone numbers and addresses with 3rd parties

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Facebook says "If you don't want Facebook to share your info, don't share it with Facebook"

Facebook announced today in a letter to Congress that the social-media platform is moving forward with plans to give third parties access to user information, such as phone numbers and home addresses.

In a letter to Reps. Edward Markey (D-Mass.) and Joe Barton (R-Tex.), who both expressed concerns over Facebook's plan to make such data available, company officials reiterated their now-familiar pledge to leave it up to users to decide whether they want their personal contact information to go out to app developers and outside websites. Markey has previously said that "Facebook needs to protect the personal information of its users to ensure that Facebook doesn't become Phonebook."

just another heads up to those who use FB and are concerned about privacy

news.yahoo.com...;_ylt =AvOLPwW1oBEKbvTcAdVzwMys0NUE;_ylu=X3o'___'V0MmU0NjY2BGFzc2V0A3libG9nX3RoZWxvb2tvdXQvMjAxMTAzMDEvZmFjZWJvb2std2lsbC1zb29uLXNoYXJlLXVzZXJzLXBob25lLW51b WJlcnMtYW5kLWFkZHJlc3Nlcy13aXRoLTNyZC1wYXJ0aWVzBGNjb2RlA21vc3Rwb3B1bGFyBGNwb3MDNARwb3MDMQRwdANob21lX2Nva2UEc2VjA3luX2hlYWRsaW5lX2xpc3QEc2xrA2ZhY2Vib29 rd2lsbA--
edit on 1-3-2011 by toolstarr because: link

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Glad I disabled my account many moons ago. Don't trust those worms and if they keep up this BS they will see disengagement from their user base. Rightfully so.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   
S&F.. I deleted my facebook account years ago..To much of a privacy risk..I would advise anyone to do the same..

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
OMG SERIOUS IM SO GLAD I DON'T HAVE MY PHONE OR ADDRESS ON FB (woops)

i can't believe they are going to do this though but if ypou ask me people shouldn't be stupid enough to put their home address and phone on there anyway if you only interact with friends and family they already know where you live geeez im shocked they are going to do this

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   
You know what else they do? Tax people and debtors have been going on FB contacting family members listed on profile about debts incurred by the member. Nuffs enough!

spec

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

wow really thats not cool i mean invasion of privicy, can they do that well i surpose it's a way to track people down very easy all you have to do is type their name into the search and bam

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   
You know... there a simple solution.

DO not enter your private info on social networks. Why would you need to put your phone number in there?

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Has it been clarified yet.... this sharing of information is only that which someone lists on their profile, correct? This does NOT include phone and email that were used to sinc a cell phone to upload info. to one's profile, presuming those numbers/emails are not listed in the profile, or no?

Honestly, this is why I deleted my account. Every new "feature" added is another step towards 3rd-party prying eyes. If someone could clarify my question though, that would be sweet.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   
I'm not sure on that either. I would hope it would just be the info that you give to facebook , not what you post and what not. And there are tons of sheeple that post their phone numbers on FB. My contact list almost doubled when I finally set my smart phone up to use FB.

join