It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do WikiLeaks imitators put your e-mail at risk?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Do WikiLeaks imitators put your e-mail at risk?

redtape.msnbc.com

Imagine having every e-mail you've written published by hackers for the entire world to see. You don't have to stretch your imagination very far -- it's already happening to some folks.

Meet the new face of computer hacking. Inspired by the success of WikiLeaks, stealing and disclosing data is the new form of Internet revenge -- and chaos. There's concern that a new generation of WikiLeaks imitators will come along and use widespread dissemination of embarrassing information as its weapon of choice.

Hackers who call themselves Anonymous -- the group that has gained notoriety for atta
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 1-3-2011 by Section31 because: (no reason given)

Mod Edit: Review This Link: Instructions for the Breaking News Forums: Copy The Exact Headline
edit on 3/1/2011 by semperfortis because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Its rather interesting. While many people support Wikileaks and Anonymous, they miss the whole idea of keeping personal secrets. If Wikileaks were to gain access to your private information, would you allow them to post your life before the world? Credit-card information, purchases, date of birth, family members, bank accounts, house address, and many other forms of personal information could be at risk. If we allow entities like Wikileaks and Anonymous to invade government secrets, how do you know they will not go after yours? Anonymous has already shown they could hack into a credit-card agency.

You don't know them personally. How far are you willing to trust a group of strangers (hackers) with your personal information?

redtape.msnbc.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 1-3-2011 by Section31 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Section31

no doubt a scary thought, but i can assure you. i have a lot less to hide than our goverments.
no i dont want them hacking into my personal info, but on the other hand why would they
they cant really take anything from me the goverment hasnt allredy took.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   
from what i understand everything we type into our computer on the internet goes into a big data file that our goverment keeps on us anyway. if you dont want your laundry hanging out to dry dont put it in the net in anyway.
you can be assured everyone on ATS is allready on some goverment terrorist list.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by grrrrrrr
reply to post by Section31

no doubt a scary thought, but i can assure you. i have a lot less to hide than our governments.
no i don't want them hacking into my personal info, but on the other hand why would they
they cant really take anything from me the government hasnt already took.

Sure they could. If someone got a hold of your birthday, hometown, and address, they can get a hold of your social security number and birth certificate. How much damage do you think they will cause then?

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Sure they could. If someone got a hold of your birthday, hometown, and address, they can get a hold of your social security number and birth certificate. How much damage do you think they will cause then?

i am just saying for me, i have nothing except a duffle bag of clothes and this computer and 40 pounds of silver. i got rid of all worldly positions over 2 years ago when i realized i couldnt take them with me. i realize most people like to have there stuff and thats cool. i live on a army base where the goverment takes care of my food and shelter, its like living on welfare if you can't beat them join them. and no you cant have my social security number...lol

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Dont have credit cards , no bank accounts, aside from the email addy used to make account here havent got and dont use email, and never use sites like farcebook, twitter etc..
As prefer to maintain what privacy can also grew up before the tech era never have trusted pcs or the tech - nice tool / toy but takes away peoples privacy and souls... Governments and leaders need to be transparent - the public has a right to privacy from governments, corporations and damn busybodies...

new topics

top topics

join