It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Homophobes:: GET A CLUE!!!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Originally posted by mr-lizard
The sad thing is. If you started making threads about how you love women and bragging about your sexual ideals, your thread would probably be deleted.

Are you serious?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

There are many heterosexual threads on ATS/BTS. You don't think anything about hearing someone mention their husband or their wife, but that's advertising their sexuality. If heterosexuals don't have to "keep it to themselves", why should gay people?

And if Gay people are allowed to be dismissive of religious folk or get annoyed at straight people, then why not the other way round?

Oh and those links you posted are in the 'off-topic' section.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   
I am not a "homophobe" as you so eloquently put it OP. Never have been and pretty sure I never will be. I have no problems with people that are gay.

What I have a problem with is this "in your face" crap that is so prevalent in today's world. Fine you are gay, I get it no need to run around stating that you are gay and proud. There are no limits anymore...to anything.

I also never have bought into the "I was born this way" argument for homosexual people. There is a reason we are made (by whomever made us) the way we are. Procreation and to say anything otherwise is not natural. I am not trying to personally attack the OP but she also stated that trying to be straight lead her down the path of self destruction with drugs, alcohol and depression. I don't buy that either. You are in complete control of yourself and could stop the self destructive behavior at anytime you wanted to. Anyone can... but they choose to make excuses as to why they cannot.

I will continue my rant later...just realized what time it was and I need to get ready for work.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by LordBucket
Experiencing pride for a state of being is probably preferable to experiencing shame for it, but if homosexuals could do what they do, simply because they choose to...without any pride or shame at all...that would probably be both healthier and more comfortable for them.

Oh, I totally agree! But reality is what it is. I assure you, they didn't feel shame because of their own judgments of homosexuality. They got their shame from society and religion, or those claiming to be practicing religion. They were told they were unworthy, were going to hell, were unclean, disgusting, unnatural, perverted, and so on. That came from the outside world.

For example, I like to ski. It's not something I'm "proud" of.

What if you hadn't been able to ski for the first 25 years of your life, but you persevered and worked hard and fought and struggled until one day, you were able to ski! Might you be a little bit proud?

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

If heterosexuals don't have to "keep it to
themselves", why should gay people?

Simply as a matter of courtesy. If one smoker is in a room with a dozen other people who dislike the smell of smoke, is it more reasonable for them to ask that he smoke outside, or for him to insist that they accept him smoking in the room with them?

A lot of people are uncomfortable with homosexuality. I assert that it is reasonable for heterosexuals to request homosexuals to keep their private lives private, just like it's reasonable for non-smokers to ask smokers to smoke outside.

And in either case, someone who refuses that request should not be surprised if their discourtesy is returned with discourtesy.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by LordBucket

And, quite frankly, I am heterosexual and strongly dislike seeing people engaging in breeding activity in public. Handholding ok, a hug or brief kiss, ok, but do you really need to lick someone elses tonsils and dry hump them in public? I think not. If it were convenient to do so, I would spray them with a water hose much like I do the neighborhood dogs.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   
As a so-called "homophobe", I am deeply offended by this thread. Get a clue? Who is the messed up one here? The formally suicidal drug addict, who had a hard time getting a man? Or me, someone who despises the homosexual "in your face" agenda.

Who doesn't have a clue?

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard
And if Gay people are allowed to be dismissive of religious folk or get annoyed at straight people, then why not the other way round?

It DOES work the other way around. Have you seen the anti-atheist threads? Hate threads toward any group shouldn't be permitted, IMO.

Oh and those links you posted are in the 'off-topic' section.

And they were not deleted.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   
I love that our world is inhabited by people of all races, colours, creeds and sexuality. I reckon I am pretty tolerant of all these differences...until they become out of control and extreme.

I do however, dislike "in ya face" people with attitude, be they religious, gay or whatever. There really is no need to broadcast how different one is from another, rather one should just go about their own business and let others get on with theirs.

I know it is hard when some people are ignorant and intolerant, their loss I say.

take care all
res

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Simply as a matter of courtesy. If one smoker is in a room with a dozen other people who dislike the smell of smoke, is it more reasonable for them to ask that he smoke outside, or for him to insist that they accept him smoking in the room with them?

Someone talking about their sexuality, whether straight or gay, doesn't emit poisonous toxins into the air for others to breathe!

And if we could take a poll, I bet the anti-gays on ATS are far outnumbered by those who don't give a crap.
So, the homophobes are probably just the vocal minority.

A lot of people are uncomfortable with homosexuality. I assert that it is reasonable for heterosexuals to request homosexuals to keep their private lives private, just like it's reasonable for non-smokers to ask smokers to smoke outside.

It is reasonable to request it. Request away. But you can't always get what you want. ATS tries its hardest to treat people equally. BOTH SIDES of any issue discussed should be allowed. That's my position.

Some people are uncomfortable with talk of aliens. Should we request that people don't talk about that anymore?

I keep forgetting to say - To the OP - You need to grow a thick skin to survive here. There are homophobes here and they are vocal. But the majority don't care who you love.

edit on 3/1/2011 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by mizbeach40

I understand your anger. I used to like this place too.

I started receiving anger and hate since I came out of the closet
Then the second wave came when I left the church. The third is just around the corner

Some people just live for hating so don't let that get to yout
And remember that there are more loving people than those of hate. Loving people are just you know... busy lovin'
Not very vocal

edit on 2011/3/1 by krzyspmac because: damn those sexy fingers...

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   

What if you hadn't been able to ski for the first 25 years of your life, but
you persevered and worked hard and fought and struggled until one day, you were
able to ski! Might you be a little bit proud?

I might be. But if I was, that pride would be the result of overcoming the unhealthy condition that was preventing me from being able to ski. It would not be pride for having been unable to ski. If a homsosexual claims to be proud for having overcome their fear of self expression, that seems reasonable to me. But that's not quite the same as expressing pride for being gay.

I once had a conversation with a gay man in which he explained to me that he really liked sucking cock. He said it was awesome, and he had a gleeful, happy smile on his face when he said it.

There's not much I can say to that. Here's a person who knows what he likes, acts on his preference, and takes pleasure in it. So be it. But I've found this perspective to be very rare amongst the gay community. Far more often there's this huge pile of guilt and internal anguish. More often we hear things like, as the OP phrased it:

What I am IS NOT a choice!!! I WAS BORN THIS WAY!!!

These are not the words of someone acting on a simple preference and having a healthy result from it. These are not the words of someone motivated by desire to "love who they choose." These are the words of someone motivated by shame, guilt, self-pity, self-loathing, and a whole host of nasty, unhealthy emotions.

Is experiencing pride preferable? Oh, absolutely. But that pride is coming from the rubber-band effect of desperately trying to escape from a huge pile of emotional nastiness.

I assure you, they didn't feel shame because of their own judgments of homosexuality.

That came from the outside world.

Perhaps. And I would volunteer that the emotional angst amongst that "outside world" that led to their anger and accusations directed at homosexuals probably also had its roots in unhealthy conditions.

But I don't think the cry of "it's not my fault I was born this way" or "it's not my fault, the angst came from the outside world" ...I don't think either of these are likely to improve conditions for anyone.

Homosexuals can blame anyone they like, but ultimately...they're the ones who have to live with themselves. I think gays on the whole will benefit far more from self acceptance, than they will from getting anyone else to accept them.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   
I really take exception to the term "homophobic" or "homophobe."

I think that's supposed to apply to those who do not approve of a homosexual lifestyle, but you should find another term.

"Homo" meaning people, or man and "phobic" or "phobos" meaning fear of.

I don't fear another man. I might gag if I see one choking down something attached to another, but that's more like "disgust." Not fear.

Another thing that's weird. You define yourself by your sexual preference.

What??????

So that is what your life is about? I'm gay? And that's it?

That's your problem, but because some may find such behavior unacceptable, offensive, or just another aberration, you don't have to go making up false names and apply those made-up terms to deride them.

That God you're talking about that seems to be at odds with himself. Love your neighbor doesn't mean as a heterosexual I am to go around porking my neighbors. Some of their boyfriends and husbands may not find that behavior appropriate.

So yet another misapplication - love your neighbors.

The reason you don't like being judged by the Bible, is that it's very clear about that behavior.

So you don't call me names, and I won't call you names.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   

But if I was, that pride would be the result of overcoming the unhealthy condition that was preventing me from being able to ski. It would not be pride for having been unable to ski. If a homsosexual claims to be proud for having overcome their fear of self expression, that seems reasonable to me. But that's not quite the same as expressing pride for being gay.

Gay people have to overcome unhealthy social conditions that prevent them from being who they are and feeling OK in their own skin. They are not PROUD of the fact that they're gay anymore than I am proud that I am straight. They are proud of who they are! They are OK as they are! Maybe a better way to say it is that they are "gay and unashamed" instead of "Gay and Proud", but it doesn't look as good on a banner.

These are not the words of someone acting on a simple preference and having a healthy result from it. These are not the words of someone motivated by desire to "love who they choose." These are the words of someone motivated by shame, guilt, self-pity, self-loathing, and a whole host of nasty, unhealthy emotions.

Perhaps. But those unhealthy emotions were heaped on them by society. What you're seeing is frustration in response.

But that pride is coming from the rubber-band effect of desperately trying to escape from a huge pile of emotional nastiness.

Yes, Nastiness that society has heaped upon them. They are retaliating against that! And I am, too.

But I don't think the cry of "it's not my fault I was born this way" or "it's not my fault, the angst came from the outside world" ...I don't think either of these are likely to improve conditions for anyone.

Who says they're doing it to "improve conditions"? The OP is expressing herself and her belief that she is OK as she is. And I agree with her.

I think gays on the whole will benefit far more from self acceptance, than they will from getting anyone else to accept them.

That's undoubtedly true for gay people as well as for anyone else, right? Yet, I've had a rant or two about being treated unfairly or demeaned because I'm a woman. My expressions of frustration about sexism have little to do with my acceptance of myself. So, I'm not sure we can assume that the OP doesn't accept herself or that she's trying to get others to accept her. I think it's simply a bit of a rant.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Someone talking about their sexuality, whether straight or gay,
doesn't emit poisonous toxins into the air for others to breathe!

Irrelevant. The fact is that it makes a good many people uncomfortable. Talking about diarrhea also doesn't emit poisonous toxins, but if you do that at a dinner party sooner or later someone is going to tell you shut up because they don't want to hear about it.

Some people are uncomfortable with talk of aliens. Should
we request that people don't talk about that anymore?

We already do, and conduct is enforced. If someone were to post about aliens in the politics forum, for example, that thread would be moved. There is a proper place for these things, and an improper place for these things.

If a bible-thumper goes to a public mall and starts preaching to people, he should not be surprised if people tell him to shut up and leave them alone. When gays do the same, they shouldn't be surprised if they get the same response.

It is reasonable to request it. Request away.
But you can't always get what you want.

And that's fine. But it works both ways. And if two guys decide to make out in a public park, knowingly causing discomfort to other park-goers, they should not be surprised if someone shouts deragatory expletives at them that might make them uncomfortable.

This should be simple. If you knowingly do things that annoy people...don't be surprised if they don't put up with it. Overt expressions of homosexuality annoy a lot of people. This really shouldn't be that complicated, but it seems like a lot of people want to put homosexuality on some kind of pedestal and pretend that it's magically exempt from the same simple courtesies we would extend on any other topic.

edit on 1-3-2011 by LordBucket because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Talking about diarrhea also doesn't emit poisonous toxins, but if you do that at a dinner party sooner or later someone is going to tell you shut up because they don't want to hear about it.

You're missing the point. If the other dinner party guests were talking about vomit, they hardly have the ground to insist that the diarrhea people shut up. Heterosexual people talk all the time about their husbands, wives, kids, sex and their personal lives. Gay people should be free to, as well.

And if two guys decide to make out in a public park, knowingly causing discomfort to other park-goers, they should not be surprised if someone shouts deragatory expletives at them that might make them uncomfortable.

Same for 2 straight people.

If you knowingly do things that annoy people...don't be surprised if they don't put up with it.

Right! And homophobia annoys some people. Looks like the OP falls into that group. People are saying things the OP finds annoying. She doesn't like it and is expressing that.

... it seems like a lot of people want to put homosexuality on some kind of pedestal and pretend that it's magically exempt from the same simple courtesies we would extend on any other topic.

The only place I want homosexuality is on EQUAL ground with heterosexuality. If straight people are permitted to talk about who they love, what they did over the weekend, what they got their wife for Valentines Day, then gay people should, too.

It is simple.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by jjkenobi
Not condoning or approving homosexual behavior does not make one a homophobe.

How very true, but the blood thirsty opposition tries to make each and every single person who just doesn't see it the same way appear to be just that, a homophobe. I don't like homosexuality, I don't believe it's natural. I believe something somewhere caused that person to be gay. Do I run in the opposite direction when I see a homosexual person? Nope. Do I call them names or be uncouth in any other way? Absolutely not. A good friend of mine turned out to be gay, he held that info out on all of us because he was afraid what everyone would say. Well, I went to his wedding and wished him good luck as a friend. I may not like his lifestyle, but I'm happy he's happy.

But homosexuality is something I do not feel is right. And you can't go around and impose your will, call people "homphobes" just because they don't see eye to eye with you.

So get over it.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by mizbeach40

People have to take what others say on forums with a bag full of salt. And I mean that. I'm a christian (can't say I'm a practising one, hypocrite huh ?) But in the real world I don't force my views on anyone. And I very much doubt people/aliens/or whatever they call themselves on this forum do too. In fact I'm sure they'd get punched in the face!
So just relax enjoy YOUR life and make your own decisions. And hopefully jesus will find you......

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Fitch303

Glad you Voted no on h8te but ummm....sex is not the major thing in homosexuality. We don't lay around and pound each other all day. We raise children, work, go to school, mow our lawns, wash dishes, go grocery shopping, you know, stuff like that. Oh, We even go to church (not myself but I am sure many do).
Since you are a Hetero"sex"ual, do you lay around pounding all day? Not that there is anything wrong with that but there are other things going on in your life outside the bedroom, Right? : /

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
No no no no... you got it all wrong...

You shouldn't HATE Homophobes... it's just the way they ARE, they were BORN that way.

Don't you see?

You are hating them, for hating you, which is something that is in their genetic structure!

I think you are just a Homophobe-phobe!

You shouldn't hate people for making choices that they have no control over, choices regarding emotions that were ingrained before they were born.

Hating on Homophobes is just as bad as you think BEING a homophobe IS!

edit on 1-3-2011 by ErtaiNaGia because: it's a koan

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join