It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Food price insanity - More per pound for tomatoes than for chicken

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by larphillips

Originally posted by darkpassenger23
well technically home gardens are against the law there was a bill passed toward the end of last year look up senate bill s510 so get used to the high prices lol

So what exactly will their enforcement policy be? Is this going to be from local police or federal agents? Will there be a fine? Will they demand immediate destruction of the crops?

Considering the current state of the world, any kind of massive and harsh enforcement on a person's home garden will most certainly result in violent clashes, protests, and general unrest.

No, nothing like that.

They will just deactivate your RFID chip.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Along with everything else, the prices of crop fertilizers are skyrocketing:

"With the acid shortage, there just is not that much starter out there to be had," Christopherson said. "It could be an awfully tough spring in terms of starter availability."

With most fertilizer retailers operating in a just-in-time situation, Christopherson said he would encourage a great amount of communication between farmers and their fertilizer retailers. Timing problems, which occurred both in the spring and fall last year in some regions, could again resurface this spring. This is especially true if the spring is wet and the application/planting window narrows.

"I think having that relationship between farmer and retailer will be especially important in a year like this," he said. "Even if you don't want to commit to any fertilizer purchases, it may be a good idea just to talk to your retailer and give them a heads up, 'Hey, I am looking at this much fertilizer this spring.' I think that could go a long way in helping the situation."

All eight major fertilizers are now showing double-digit increases in price compared to one year earlier. Leading the way higher is 10-34-0. The starter fertilizer has skyrocketed in recent weeks and is now 78 percent higher compared to the first week of March 2010.

Anhydrous has climbed 58 percent above a year ago, UAN32 49 percent, UAN28 46 percent, DAP and MAP 41 percent and urea 18 percent.

Rounding out the higher prices is potash, which has gained 15 percent.

www.dtnprogressivefarmer.com.../free/news/tem plate1&product=/ag/news/topstories&vendorReference=cdc37f49-a12b-4710-8d92-f41326abfc58&paneContentId=70109&paneParentId=70043
edit on 8-3-2011 by apacheman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Luckily for standard backyard and home gardeners, cow poo is still cheap or free. Most people who can pull off the backyard garden are probably within a 30 minute drive from a farmer. In fact, the manure is probably better for the garden as well as the environment.

Of course, that doesn't help the mega-farms who supply 99% of the grocery stores. Food prices are getting squeezed in absolutely every direction. Food riots won't just be happening overseas anymore, I'm afraid.
edit on 3/8/11 by larphillips because: extra thought

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   
It has struck here in Alaska. I have a 3 year old who absolutely loves fresh grape tomatoes. In a week's time they have gone from $3 a lb to $5.60 a lb and that's if you can find them. Curiously, Asparagus & Strawberries are dirt cheap, however. CostCo has also started raising their prices quite a bit in the past week. We have a set grocery list we fill there every 2 weeks and our bill went from $140 in Jan. (last time I went with the wife) to $172 this Saturday for exactly the same items and quantity. A 23% price increase in 2 1/2 months at a bulk store is something I haven't seen before.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   
I don't know about tomatoes but garlic in my country was 2 euros (kg) march 2010 ..now is 8

Maybe to many vampires ?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join