It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AIDS Research- Study Finds Most Lubricants Damage Rectal Cells And Some Increase HIV Activity

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Here is an interesting article regarding AIDS Research - FYI

aidsmap article - HIV & AIDS sharing information changing lives

A study by the Population Council (Begay 2011) has found that every one of a panel of 41 commercially-available sexual lubricants for sale in the USA damaged human rectal and colonic cells in the test tube and compromised the integrity of the single-cell layer that forms the surface of the rectum. In contrast Carraguard, a gel formerly tried as an experimental microbicide, did not damage cells Unexpectedly, the investigators found that four of the lubricants not only damaged the rectal lining cells but appeared actively to increase HIV replication in the cell cultures. They found that this activity was caused by polyquaternium-15, a commonly-used cosmetic ingredient, which has the property of facilitating HIV’s attachment to cells.

Think they will ship any Carraguard care packages to any Third World Countries or just reap the profits of debauchery?

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Related Article From POPULATION COUNCIL:
Population Council - Research That Makes A Difference

The Council has a current product pipeline that includes next-generation gels based on carrageenan as well as other natural and man-made polymers that contain one or more active pharmaceutical ingredients and can be used independently of coitus as well as rings that remain in place for 1–6 months for long-acting delivery of anti-HIV compounds in the vagina.

Related ATS Thread:
ATS THREAD Vaginal Gels

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by EyeHeartBigfoot

Im gonna take a shot in the dark here, maybe its because things dont belong in your butt?

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by FrancoUn-American

Im gonna take a shot in the dark here, maybe its because things dont belong in your butt?

True, should be an exit only.

However, even your wit-isms can't stop HIV/AIDS.

Edification

t

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   

No but common sense can

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by FrancoUn-American

Well, as tacky as that statement is... this is about more then sexual preference prejudices...

This is a problem for heterosexuals as well (i.e.) the spermicide gels and condoms using nonoxynol-9 have been shown to break down the vaginal walls and not only can cause women pain during intercourse, but can also put them at greater risk for STD's and HIV.

So, (regardless of your thoughts on hetero/homo sexual sex) this is about products being marketed to PROTECT us when in fact, they are putting us in more danger. I'd call that a serious issue, wouldn't you?

edit on 1-3-2011 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

Wow so quick you are to assume my statement is anti homosexual, By common sense I meant dont be a whore and sleep with every person you meet and there you have it no aids wow who knew? Ingredients and chemicals in the condoms and lube are FDA approved but never the final product. Not one product claims to be safe, they claim to be SAFER but not safe. Now go ahead and try to twist my words again. Good attempt btw

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by FrancoUn-American

There was no "attempt" to "twist" your words on my part, they speak for you. If you're gonna go with one-liners, than make them clear and concise and with ability to convey what you mean. This is not an example of such clarity:

edit on 1-3-2011 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   
I started this THREAD with the words RESEARCH & STUDY in the Headline and FYI in the OP.

It is an attempt to spread information for the greater good.

Find another place to debate your personal views on sodomy.

I have witnessed first hand the devastating degradation of the human body via HIV and the brutal death via AIDS.

Whatever your views, it is imperative of each and every person on this planet to help your fellow man.

Obviously were not doing such a great job.

Regards,

t

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 03:35 AM
link   

No I think it's pretty clear and speaks for itself if you keep things out of your anus you will not damage your anus

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 03:43 AM
link   
By 2011 I'm pretty sure people are quite aware of HIV/AIDS.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by FrancoUn-American
By 2011 I'm pretty sure people are quite aware of HIV/AIDS.

Here are some words from men who were far smarter than I. Hope you find comfort once you understand...

"Where ignorance is bliss, 'tis folly to be wise." - Thomas Gray (1716 - 1771)

“If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.” - Isaak Yudovich Ozimov (aka Isaac Asimov) - (1920 - 1992)

“Our knowledge can only be finite, while our ignorance must necessarily be infinite.” - Sir Karl Raimund Popper (1902 - 1994)

“One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.” - Robert Anson Heinlein (1907 - 1988)

I wish you the very best in your quest.

Regards,

t

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   

LadySkadi,

Thank you for contributing and standing ground.

docta ignorantia = exsecratio mea

Veneratio,

t

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   
More information about the studies regarding the risks of lubricants as well as further research into potential preventions... Interesting information.

Science Daily

Microbicides -- substances applied topically on the inside of the rectum or vagina -- could potentially help prevent the rectal transmission of HIV, and some are being tested in early Phase I safety studies. Another approach called oral pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP) involves the use of antiretroviral drugs to reduce the risk of HIV in HIV-negative people. A large Phase III trial of PrEP involving men who have sex with men in South America, Africa and the United States is expected to report results by early next year. Yet, if either of these approaches is found effective in clinical trials, they will do no good if those most at risk don't use them. Other research presented at the conference sheds light on this issue. Summaries of all three studies are provided below.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Research also finds that having sex like that also raises your chances on getting hiv.

new topics

top topics

join