It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook to share user phone numbers, home addresses with third parties

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Facebook to share user phone numbers, home addresses with third parties

www.rawstory.com

Facebook will move forward with a plan to allow third parties to access the personal data of users, the latest in a series of moves drawing controversy over the privacy of its massive consumer base.

The feature will permit applications to seek the private data of Facebook account holders, such as phone numbers and home addresses. The company appears to be acting within its rights, according to PC World magazine.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Something for all with FB accounts to be aware of.

Especially with the aquistion of control falling into the hands of nefarious entities like Goldman Sachs.

The social networks are a catch-22 of sorts: They allow a great many people to network and communicate, but they are also subject to be easily snooped, and as we see here, catalogue personal information.

My advise to those frequenting these sites---Give as few details of yourself as possible on them. I'm sure some of our net security experts have a lot of ideas better though.

Chime in here folks...Thoughts?

www.rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   
I don't put any of my personal info on facebook. Not my phone number, my address, likes and dislikes, nothing. My profile is pretty bare. My friends who need to know that stuff do. There is no need for everyone you've ever known to have it all. Let alone facebook and whoever they deem necessary. That is ridiculous.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Best advice... stay away from Facebook.

You know what else is a face book? A book of mug shots.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Thanks. Will be removing.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

I'm assuming FB has our IP addresses, and therefore, our addresses and phone numbers.

...Are they selling that inside info, or just the stuff that's posted?

[I have no illusions of privacy and anonymity - and figure the only thing that's changed is that more people/companies have access now, not just a small group of insiders.]

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Good find!

And one more reason I'm glad I never joined FB at all.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   
I thought Facebook was already sharing our information with corporations to study social trends and stuff!

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
coincedental thing is i deleted my facebook account earlier(i never had my address or phonenumber and had an old email address on there) and it said please sign in with your log in details to re-open your account.
wtf, you cant even delete it. is there not a law against this.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by RandalFlagg
I thought Facebook was already sharing our information with corporations to study social trends and stuff!

Yhea so did I - not sure of the specifics, I stay away from facebook like I stay away from kids and animals with swine flu.

I know publicly FB will say of course they market the data, but it's anonymized (supposedly bears no identifiable data lol
) and sold in bulk to anyone with the cash to buy it.

But I also am pretty sure an organisation such as the police, largish companies that can spare the cash and probably debt collection agencies among others can pay for a level of access that supersedes the privacy settings.

Originally posted by lewman
wtf, you cant even delete it. is there not a law against this.

Google this, or find out more - people do talk about this a lot - don't ask me for specifics tho, other than you ticked the little box on the agreement that means you handed over all those pictures and thoughts and all your social connections to the owners of facebook to do with pretty much as they like forever and ever amen! - You can 'delete' your account (although that is not as straight forward as it should be) - but all that loverly data is theirs now, you have no rights whatsoever over it - they could use your image to sell cancer causing barbed wire to primary schools in china if they wanted.

edit on 1/3/2011 by Now_Then because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by JibbyJedi
Best advice... stay away from Facebook.

You know what else is a face book? A book of mug shots.

I agree, but it is impossible for me. Ever since I started receiving spam on Skype, I figured that my skype address was only available on Facebook and since I hadn't logged on for a long time, they sold it to some marketing company.

Since I'm living quite an international live now, I meet people from all across the world and to stay in touch with your network, Facebook is the only viable option - since almost everyone has an account. So I kinda sold my soul to the devil...

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   

I'm assuming FB has our IP addresses, and therefore, our addresses and phone numbers.

An IP address is not a phone number and an IP address is not a postal address. Its just a temporary number that stays valid only as long as your internet session continues.

To find out the name and address you have to ask the user's internet provider to look it up for you and providers usually don't do this (in most countries are not even allowed to do it) unless the one who is asking can show some kind of official paperwork signed by a judge. At least this is how it is supposed to work.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by prof7
An IP address is not a phone number and an IP address is not a postal address. Its just a temporary number that stays valid only as long as your internet session continues.

Not quite, that is a dynamic IP... Most IP's for home users are today dynamic but last a considerable amount of time, they do not change (normally) between online sessions unless you go out of your way to ensure that.

Static IP addresses are manually assigned to a computer by an administrator. The exact procedure varies according to platform. This contrasts with dynamic IP addresses, which are assigned either by the computer interface or host software itself, as in Zeroconf, or assigned by a server using Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP). Even though IP addresses assigned using DHCP may stay the same for long periods of time, they can generally change. In some cases, a network administrator may implement dynamically assigned static IP addresses. In this case, a DHCP server is used, but it is specifically configured to always assign the same IP address to a particular computer. This allows static IP addresses to be configured centrally, without having to specifically configure each computer on the network in a manual procedure.

So really a time, a date, an IP and a bunch of personal data is more than enough to start pointing fingers... It may not constitute 100% proof, but for the everyday internet user, a court order gained by the police will force the ISP to hand over specific details...

Also something that can easily be done by computers and databases is cross reference of course... So if you have access to limited data from one source and limited access from another... Well ask the computers to X ref IP addresses, and them filter through the hits... The more sources of data you have the better you can X ref and the more detailed the picture of a person you can build up.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Thanks for this DD. I have Facebook account, I grew up in Hawaii, and now live in the mainland, and it is very convenient for communicating with friends there, but I appreciate every bit of info possible to lock down and control my info.

I also actively support alternatives like Diaspora. Hopefully they will someday soon be a viable alternative.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Thanks for the heads up

Facebook is both heaven and hell. With many dangers

Basically you should not share private information on any social networking site at all. Then one can do his best, to minimize possible abuse / exploitation perpetrated by the current site

Also. Nobody knows who is hiding behind a profile. Those you know in real life, you can exchange information with them, in other ways than through FB

Nor click on links you do not trust. Even if the link is sent from an FB "friend ". Once a "friend" tagged one of my photos several times, and posted links to some antivirus programs. It turned out that her profile had been hacked. Also, her computer was infected.

As part of my interest in anti-stalking, I've become very aware of, how creative people can be when they have bad motives. So one should limit all information, if you choose to be on FB. Not even Santa Claus must be trusted. He is certainly not on FB. Also i think, it got to be a real solid case if the police, by the court system, will bother FB, and gain information. Real life issues comes first.

Only a fool does not fear the ocean, So they say

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   
There is no way im removing my FB, I have lots of contacts on there, none of whom I really talk to but still you know. Its not like i have my home address posted up there. All they know is where I went to school, some interests, and a few pictures, no big deal really.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

Same here.

I list no details.

But I already know I'm being heavily monitored due to my calling out tptb on this and other sites. lol.

I don't care though---I am a law-abiding individual.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL
and a few pictures, no big deal really.

You know FB is now using facial recognition to link people via their photo's? - Seriously if your at a party and pose in a nice group photo, someone will up load it to face book and then the big computer brain starts cross linking accounts - even if your not told, it's something they can base 'services' on in the future...

But say your in a group photo of 20 people, and the next week one of them.... I don't know, declares religious war on the French, you will be forever linked to every person in that photo, weather or not they have a FB account or are even known to the powers that be...

All the faces will be reduced to data in a seriously impressive data base... 5 years down the line, the world is a different place and people are being put up against a wall and getting shot... Well, 5 years previously they have photographic proof you partied with the revolution leader

Complacency is a bad bad thing. - and don't think you can remove any offending article posted in haste, you sent it, you gave it away.
edit on 1/3/2011 by Now_Then because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by KayinAR
I don't put any of my personal info on facebook. Not my phone number, my address, likes and dislikes, nothing. My profile is pretty bare. My friends who need to know that stuff do. There is no need for everyone you've ever known to have it all. Let alone facebook and whoever they deem necessary. That is ridiculous.

I go a little further. Even though I do the same thing as you, I take one more step in securing my privacy. My wall is empty. After I post a few (5 to 6) comments per week, I delete them from my wall 12 hours later. I don't even have a profile picture. No photos, no contact information, no profile, etc... Sure, someone could match my name to the network I am affiliated with, but that is the only thing they will be able to know.

While growing up in the late 80s and early 90s, I lived during the computer pioneering generation and era. After being apart of that generation, I learned rule #1 to online participation. Nothing is absolute secure.
edit on 1-3-2011 by Section31 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Has it been clarified yet.... this sharing of information is only that which someone lists on their profile, correct? This does NOT include phone and email that were used to sinc a cell phone to upload info. to one's profile, presuming those numbers/emails are not listed in the profile, or no?

Honestly, this is why I deleted my account. Every new "feature" added is another step towards 3rd-party prying eyes.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join