It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Regulators Reject Proposal That Would Bring Fox-Style News to Canada

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555
reply to post by Flatfish

The Right uses FoxNews and Talk Radio. The Left has the Broadcast News, the CEO of GE (NBC) as a personal adviser to the White House while being in complete control of what is reported by NBC, CNN and Hollywood.

Seems like a pretty even playing field that represents the ideologies of the US, which is about evenly split. So now the Left is actively trying to silence the Right and Free Speech and a Free Press be damned?

You see the Right being blocked and I see the Right to Lie being blocked.

Are Canadians so brainwashed they would rather have censorship than free flowing information from all sources? I doubt that. This is all an orchestrated attempt by one side to silence the other. The opposite of Free Speech and a Free Press.

Meaning Fox North should have the Right to Lie? There's plenty of left/right media in Canada. Just look at the difference between the Toronto Star and the Globe and mail. Distinct difference, but neither has the Right to Lie, which is what Fox North intended.

I'm taking no sides here and consider the Left and the Right to both be the problem as they work to silence each other and spin facts and outright lie to get their way.

Once again, the CRTC is there to make sure that neither are guilty of lying.

***The first person who accuses me of being a Republican for pointing out the truth will get a mental punch to the nose. Their crap is another topic.***

I'm not accusing you of anything, but I'm guessing you lean that way.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

They were told they could not lie, and they walked away. How is that censorship?

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   
canada must have some awesome truth police.

how does that work again?

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by momoney

So you are for Censorship? As long as you agree with it that is? Why are your rights more important than those of others? Because you are right and they are wrong? Progressives never lie? Don't make me post hours and hours of them doing just that, in context!

Beware that logic, because if you can succeed in silencing your opponents, you can be silenced also. You can't straddle the fence on Free Speech or a Free Press. I assure you if you were to scrutinize every word that comes from Left Wing sources, you would find as many errors (lies) there as you would on FoxNews or any other source. With the single caveat of MSNBC of course which is unexplainable
FoxNews screws up reporting on a Poll and another has a "thrill" run "up their leg". Not reporting things and lying are both the same thing in fact.

No, I'm not a Republican or a Libertarian for that matter. There are people in all Parties that I like however. There are parts of both sides I like. On government and economics I lean to the Right. On social issues I lean to the Left, strongly at times. I've protested at "Sit-Ins" opposing the Vietnam War, quit the Democratic Party and embraced the Right when I matured and experienced the reality as opposed to the propaganda spoon-fed to me in school. I then discovered they were just as phony as the Left and quit them also.

Why did I quit the Democrats in the early 1980's. I'm bored so I'll tell you.

I was at a friends house along with the woman who became my first Wife on Monday, March 30, 1981. We were all enjoying a giant pot of Spaghetti, drinking some cheap wine and enjoying a day together. I was between construction job's and my friends were well, shall we say from among the chronically unemployed.

We had all started drinking wine a bit too early in the day, in fact it was a continuation of a party from the night before. There was a TV on all day and playing in the background. I, being the only Sober person there at that moment was just returning from a alcohol and food run to the store while the others were getting the Spaghetti Sauce put together for later on. As I walked in everyone was looking at the TV, the music was off and they were all saying look at the TV. Reagan has just been shot.

They were showing live footage of the scene and one of the Reporters described what had happened. Immediately, everyone in the room (around a half dozen people) stood up and applauded the Shooter and started complaining that he should have been a better shot. I realized these were not people I wanted to be around anymore. That was the last time I ever saw any of them, other than the woman I married of course.

You see when I protested for Peace and non-violence I meant it. These radical Progressives I'd been hanging out with were phonies and fakes and it hit me in the head right then how disingenuous they really were. I still had a clear memory of the Weathermen and the Weather Underground and that bunch of psychotic Anarchists who bastardized and usurped the Peace Movement, the phony pricks. It finally sunk in just how fake these activists really were.

My experience with the Republicans was not much better than that. Although I've never been with a group of them who wanted their opponents assassinated. I'm sure they exist. The Freemen might be a good example of Conservatives gone mad, but I think are just criminals trying to justify their crimes.

Now, I vote based on the person running and I want no information source to ever be censored as I imbibe of them all. I find flaws with them all, Right or Left no matter. Never would I call for anyone to be silenced as long as they don't resort to violence. Censorship is the tool of Dictators and how it comes about is exactly what this thread is about. Trick the Masses into fighting, create divisions among the population and while they are busy arguing and fighting with each other, strip them of their Human Rights. The current assault on FoxNews by the Left is just a diversion. I don't blame the mindless Partisans of either Party, I blame their phony Leaders on both sides and wonder why so many are so blind as to be Partisans. I understand with young people under 30, but with mature adults I'm amazed they are so easy to fool.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck

They were told they could not lie, and they walked away. How is that censorship?

Is that the real story in context or the spun version only available on MoveOn, The Daily Koss or Partisan Rags? Where can I find a transcript?

I'm not defending lies, I just doubt that is the real story before being propagandized by Partisans.

I have caught CNN in errors (lies if you will). That is what first led me to try FoxNews which I have also caught in errors (lies if you will). As to NBC, well they have thrills up their legs to deal with don't they. Groupies are never good sources. In fact I'll bet you I could catch any source in errors (lies) from time to time.

The only reason I'm defending FoxNews at all is this insane idea of silencing FoxNews keeps cropping up and the cheif sources are the most dishonest people out there. MoveOn, The Daily Koss and others where they simply invent slanderous lies out of thin air. Is Canada going to censor The Daily Koss or perhaps ATS? Plenty of lies here on ATS are there not?

I'm just trying to get people to look beyond their own ideologies and prejudices and realize the consequences of letting the Progressive Leaders and the Conservative Leaders (who no doubt are best buddies in private) divide us to control us. It's a tiny step from censoring one source you don't agree with to a State controlled media as many countries have learned the hard way. Do we in the Western World really need to make the same errors, made in the past?

Damn right the Progressives want FoxNews and Talk Radio gone. They don't even want anyone who does not agree with them voting let alone expressing their beliefs. As bad as both sides are, the radical Progressives are worst of the bunch and their stock and trade is divide and conquer. At least the Right is subtle about it. Let's leave access to all points of view protected in the Western World and free from censorship and if we don't, we deserve whatever happens to us. Let the Free Market, another thing I believe in determine where the various news sources have a market. No viewers they go away on their own and who are you, me or anyone else to dictate to others what they watch or believe?

It's easy really. The Left calls it spin, the Right calls it lies and they both do it all of the time.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Sorry, but in Canada who decides what is true and what is not for you? I'm really curious as the whole idea makes my hair stand up? What's the rest of the story here? Where is the spin? Canada has a Civil Court and Civil Laws, right? Or do you really let the State decide what you hear or don't hear or read? What else is being censored in Canada?

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Sorry, but in Canada who decides what is true and what is not for you? I'm really curious as the whole idea makes my hair stand up? What's the rest of the story here? Where is the spin? Canada has a Civil Court and Civil Laws, right? Or do you really let the State decide what you hear or don't hear or read? What else is being censored in Canada?

Somebody Lies.
A complaint is made to the CRTC.
If it was a lie, the broadcaster's license renewal is in jeopardy.
If not, it isn't.
What's so hard to understand? Again...the broadcaster walked away when told they were not allowed to lie.
I like it.

Self edit to say this is Canada. You can't lie on the airwaves, my cancer was cured for $32 out of pocket, I still have my house and our other language is French. Vive la difference.
edit on 1-3-2011 by JohnnyCanuck because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   

According to there law there is a panel created by the governor through his appointment. This means he gets to decide who controls the media this is why American broadcasting companies will not move into Canada. They are controled Media But Liberals like to claim its because they ban lying. Thats not the truth since its the 13 member council who decides whats a lie.

What happens in Canada is that stations would put restrictions on there own license to get it approved by Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission. So it basically restricts free speech in Canada. The other major reason is not more then 30% of the license can be foreign owned.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

I'm not bashing Canada here. I like Canada in fact. Love visiting there and how nice the people are. Please don't misunderstand.

What I'm wondering is how much politics is involved. Who decides if a misstatement is a lie or a mistake. Like I said, I bet I could find an error (lie if you think that) on any news source, given the time and the desire. Since news went to real time thanks to competing with the Internet and Cable, they all make misstatements often.

Oh well, not my issue. I'll leave it at censorship is a horrible thing that leads to no good. It's best to let the market forces and the People decide for themselves and let the chips fall. The other always leads to a State Controlled Media, either transparently or hidden.

Thanks for the name of the entity that decides and I'll look up the details to see if it was political or real. One mans truth is often anothers falsehood is a true statement when politics gets involved. Thanks for the response.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by dragonridr

That is what I suspected. I'll have to research this and see for myself.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   
OK, The Honourable Konrad W. von Finckenstein, Q.C. is the man at the top. The same man who caused Canadians to be hit with Internet usage bills in the thousands just for being hooked up. That speaks volumes. How much you suppose Bell bribed him with? If he is in on the Internet Usage Fee's scheme, no way is he honest. That this clown is calling anyone a liar is almost comical. He is Appointed which is even more bizarre considering his track record.

He is clearly a shill for selective big businesses and it makes me wonder if he is not acting on behalf of one of FoxNews competitors?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/29898aac8b7e.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d4cb40c2f4eb.jpg[/atsimg]

Article Source on Finckenstein -

The CRTC’s decision to ignore hundreds of thousands of petition signers across Canada while quickly acceding to Bell’s request for a 60-day temporary delay in implementing the pricing scheme brought an angry response from Openmedia.ca, a pro-consumer group highly critical of UBB.

“The CRTC’s stubbornness in the face of a mass public outcry demonstrates the strength of the Big Telecom lobby’s influence,” said founder and national coordinator Steve Anderson . “While government officials have recognized the need to protect citizens’ communications interests, the CRTC has made it clear that their priorities lie elsewhere. Now is the time for citizens to demonstrate that they, rather than incumbent ISPs, are the real stakeholders.”

So this guy is the top dog who decides what information is censored and who is lying or telling the truth. Why would anyone want to do business under that environment? Other than the big businesses he shills for?

Stop the Cap dot Com

A page of articles from the same source showing the details of what this guy supports and how transparently dishonest he is.

FoxNews lied, well maybe they do or maybe they make errors, just like all news sources either lie or make errors. The guy who decides in Canada is a heck of a liar himself. Who censors him by the way? Read this stuff, it's amazing.

Next thing you know, you will loose the Red Green Show and then you may as well end it all.
Duct Tape Fans unite!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   
In order to do anything Fox will have to ask their primary stock holders wich are Saudi Royal Princes and Oil Tycoons.

The elitists run Fox News

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 04:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flatfish

Well, It's good to know that at least somebody in this world outlaws "false and misleading news." On top of that, it's good to know that somebody recognizes it when they hear it. Good ole Canada!

The U.S. could learn a lot from Canada if we could just get past the conservative brainwashing being spewed from sources like Fox News. Apparently the Canadians are smart enough, or should I say moral enough, to ban false and misleading news in the first place and it's not at all surprising to me that it would be a conservative like Steve Harper who would attempt to reverse that ban. Steve Harper is just another puppet who's strings are being manipulated by multi-national corporations, no different than governor Walker in Wisconsin.

I can't wait to hear how Fox News spins this story to paint themselves as the victim. Get ready for Canada to be portrayed as the next enemy of the U.S..

Strike one up for truth in broadcasting!

www.huffingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

You talk of a demand for honest reporting and you use the sexist Huffington post as an example of "Good Journalism". The real reason is Canada is a step beneath Sweden as being a haven for man-haters. Fox tends to be more pro-traditionalist so the Canadian Man-haters don't want to deal with the competition Fox would add.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 05:42 AM
link   

The people decide what is a lie. That's the beauty of this particular law. Meaning that if enough people complaints about what was said in the news and it was intentionnally misleading, two things can happen. A fine or Broadcast permit revoked, if I remember correctly.

It's not the government who choose. Otherwise I would call it censorship.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by korathin
The real reason is Canada is a step beneath Sweden as being a haven for man-haters. Fox tends to be more pro-traditionalist so the Canadian Man-haters don't want to deal with the competition Fox would add.

1) The law says "a licenser may not broadcast....any false or misleading news." FOX walked away from that seemingly onerous condition. Seems pretty self evident what their problem is.
2) Man hating? Oh, that's about the last descriptive I'd use for Canadian women, ergo Makow is a boob.
3) Why is it making Americans nuts that a broadcaster can't piss in our collective faces and tell us it's raining out? Is it an ubersensitivity over FOX? Does this perhaps hint that 'fair and balanced' could be a fib, too? Oh, the wailing and gnashing of teeth...makes hard men weep!

This whole scenario cracks me up. Essentially, FOX is saying that if it can't be allowed to cheat at the game, it's going home. Good.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by palg1
To Johnny Canuck. What, you don't really believe that CBC, CTV and Global are always telling you the truth do you. That would be very naive of you. I clearly do not want any news source to actively lie to me or to the rest of the people in Canada. I am just convinced that denying access to any competing news source to the Canadian airwaves restricts our news to the liars that are already in place here. Having one-sided news sources here does not allow us the room to judge objectively the truthfulness of the news we are getting. It's one handed clapping.

I am not going to argue whether or not any news service presents an editorial spin.
Fact is if they LIE to you, you presently have recourse to the CRTC. Under the legislation proposed by Steve, you would lose that right. Capiche?

It is the news service that apparently is declining to operate under those constraints. That tells me all I need to know about "Fair and Balanced".

You see.. you need to look at the whole story here. The regulators (CRTC) prposed changes to the wording as follows " to alter the wording of a regulation that prohibits the broadcasting of false or misleading news. The alteration would make the regulation apply only in cases in which broadcasters knew the information was false or misleading, and that reporting it may endanger the lives, health or safety of the public.

Nowhere does it imply that you would not loose your right to challenge those before the CRTC.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by korathin
The real reason is Canada is a step beneath Sweden as being a haven for man-haters. Fox tends to be more pro-traditionalist so the Canadian Man-haters don't want to deal with the competition Fox would add.

1) The law says "a licenser may not broadcast....any false or misleading news." FOX walked away from that seemingly onerous condition. Seems pretty self evident what their problem is.
2) Man hating? Oh, that's about the last descriptive I'd use for Canadian women, ergo Makow is a boob.
3) Why is it making Americans nuts that a broadcaster can't piss in our collective faces and tell us it's raining out? Is it an ubersensitivity over FOX? Does this perhaps hint that 'fair and balanced' could be a fib, too? Oh, the wailing and gnashing of teeth...makes hard men weep!

This whole scenario cracks me up. Essentially, FOX is saying that if it can't be allowed to cheat at the game, it's going home. Good.

common johnny,

you think fox walked in there without knowing all that?

like kumar at a miami night club?

me thinks this story is bs.

made to make them look bad.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by fooks
me thinks this story is bs.
made to make them look bad.

You know, we have better things to do than to set up an American network to look bad. Our existing rules do not apparently support their business model, and we declined to change them, so they withdrew their proposal.

In spite of Steve...we can still say 'no thanks' to our cousins to the south.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vio1ion

The people decide what is a lie. That's the beauty of this particular law. Meaning that if enough people complaints about what was said in the news and it was intentionally misleading, two things can happen. A fine or Broadcast permit revoked, if I remember correctly.

It's not the government who choose. Otherwise I would call it censorship.

So if say a group of people who don't agree with a programs ideology complain, they can control speech and the press simply by getting a bunch of like minded people to complain!!!!!!!!!!!!! You don't see the problem with that?
Amazing!

The Liberals get upset about a Conservative leaning news source, they can simply file a few thousand complaints or the Conservative's could do the same to a Liberal leaning source. Even worse. This is Censorship, no doubt about it. Sounds like they have some charismatic mouthpieces brainwashing the Masses.

It was that fellow I mentioned who ignored "thousands" of complaints against Bell and allowed Bell to rape you Canadians. That's the same guy who will be deciding which complaints to run with. Like I said, amazing! Censorship is also ignoring complaints or choosing which complaints to get behind. Your control over this is fake at best.

If your favorite information source told a whopper or made a harmful error in favor of a political ideology you support, how fast would you run to complain? If a news source you hated made an error, you would be all over it. You simply can not trust your Freedoms to a scheme like this and expect to remain Free.

The issue is not whether FoxNews or anyone else lies, it's about censorship and controlled speech and media. I could sit in front of any news source and scrutinize it 24/7 and find mistakes which could be lies. Not reporting something to benefit politicians is another form of lie as well. This is a huge slippery slope Canada is slipping down here. Your leaders have convinced you that censorship is good for you and that decisions they control are controlled by you.

Now I get how this came about fully. A group of Canadian Liberals simply complained in large numbers and were able to censor a news source they did not like, effectively dictating to everyone what information they may or may not receive. That is not Free Speech or a Free Press. You have been tricked.

edit on 3/2/2011 by Blaine91555 because: Forgot to insert an is, what do you suppose the meaning of the word is, is?

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Now I get how this came about fully. A group of Canadian Liberals simply complained in large numbers and were able to censor a news source they did not like, effectively dictating to everyone what information they may or may not receive. That is not Free Speech or a Free Press. You have been tricked.

Sorry..maintaining an existing law that dictates one can't lie on the airwaves constitutes neither censorship nor trickery. What is most telling is that Fox decided it cannot work within those parametres.

I know you'd dearly like for there to be more...but this is a sovereign nation and we do things differently...surely that's forgivable as it also includes beer. I might add that while I detest our right-wing neocon/theocon Tories...down there they'd still be regarded as moderates with suspiciously left-wing tendencies.

Oh, and Metric...now there's a commie plot for ya...and all those extra "u"s in our spelling. Just to freak out Americans. And there's French chicks...obviously a threat.

We do things differently and have different values. Really...that's OK. Don't try to figure it out or assign blame. It's why you like to visit.
edit on 2-3-2011 by JohnnyCanuck because: (no reason given)

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join